Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Anyone else who didn't vaccinate last time, wondering whether to do so now?

I've personally been a bit alarmed by the recent reports on how quickly flu is spreading and its brought up the dilemma all over again for me as whether to vaccinate or not. Although I'm not even sure if vaccinations are still on offer for the under 5's as they are calling on pregnant women and over 65's at the mo.

Last time I didn't as my daughter doesn't have any other medical conditions and because we don't know of any nasty side effects the vaccination could produce further down the line. And yet it was a decision I was unsure about, how could I live with myself if she caught swine flu and the worst happened? How could I live with myself if she suffered side effects of the vaccination some time in the future and the worst happened?

This time I have a 22 week baby to think about and I'm wondering if I should vaccinate DD to protect both her and DS who can't be vaccinated yet.

Assuming vaccinations would still be available for under 5's, anyone else in a quandry?

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
The under 5's are not being offered the vaccine this year. There have been some items on the BBC and Sky news websites today about it. The Govt are getting a lot of criticism over this decision as people are thinking it's down to cost cutting rather than health advice.

I can understand your worry, I have a 5wk old and my two elder girls have been very poorly over Christmas and I've been concerned it could have been/be swine flu but there is no hotline, no online checker. If you or your child has flu symptoms NHS Direct has a recorded message which says applies to all (ie self medicate with paracetamol etc, don't bother talking to an advisor as there is nothing more that can be done for the flu) and then online you read differently and that you should ring up if it concerns an under 5yo. I tried ringing yesterday, was on hold for 20 mins and still never got through. :(

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
AS Claire says they are not vaccinating the under 5's this time.  Both girls and I have had some sort of Flu back in Nov and we were all ill for 2 weeks it wasn't nice at all, we don't know if it was Swine flu as like said no hotline on line checker and wasn't taking them to GP as risked passing in (well they went towards the end of the 2 weeks when they were left with respiorty track infections, but he couldn't say really if it was Swine flu as hadn't seen us)  We all had temps of over 39 for days, the girls were just laid out it wasn't nice to see and I couldn't get out of bed.  I can see how it effects people with underlaying conditions as DD1 with no health problems still has a horrid cough from then but been back to Dr and nothing there and after they were starting to pick up after the inital illness they had the infections and effected their breathing

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Last year it took me ages to come to some sort of decision but two paeds I saw in the space of 1 week (because of M's allergy) both said 'whyever not?' so off we went and Mr Biker M and myself all took it. J was a couple of months old at the time. I had sleepless nights before and after but no real side effects. This year one of M's paeds suggested (quite forcefully) giving her AND J the seasonal flu jab, which we did without much thought. When we saw her other usual paed and I mentioned it to him he was 'how come when you were so opposed to the swine flu jab last year? This year's seasonal jab (the one we got is called vaxi grip by sanofi) has the swine flu jab incorporated'. Had no idea. Glad it was all done before I had time to think about it. J was 11 months. A bit poorly for a couple of days but both kids fine. So if you really want to vaccinate there are alternative vaccines you can get hold of I guess.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Could I just ask if any of you know if you can get swine flu twice? Last year me and my little boy now 2yrs 8m had swine flu so bad. I would recomend the jab if you can get it. I wouldn't wish swine flu on any one. We were told we couldn't have the jab as we already had swine flu so dose that mean we won't get in again?

Thanks kelli

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. Oh its not available for under 5's anyway then.  ???  Well if it was health advice rather than cost cutting I suppose that would be reassuring. But then on the Welsh news all day yesterday was a little 2 month old who survived being very ill with swine flu. (Albeit she was prem with other health concerns.) The fact it was highlighted made me think that part of the message was get vaccinated.  ???

I guess the seasonal flu jab is only available for under 5's with pre-existing conditions?

Sorry I don't know the answer Kelli but I would like to know out of interest if the swine flu jabs all the under 5's got last year are still protecting them this winter? Or does the jab wear off, or has the strain changed making previous vaccinations obselete? (sp) 

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Hi

Kelli I have to assume you prob can get it again because I think flu changes all the time so they adjapt the jab every year. We all had the jab last year. I was pregnant and DH has lowered immune system (kidney transplant) and DD had it too. DH gets the flu jab every year and this year has swine flu in it.

I think if you really want to get the jab and you are not in 'at risk' category then you probably could get it privately.

Just found this:
http://www.immunisationscotland.org.uk/vaccines-and-diseases/seasonalflu/index.aspx

It says if you had swine flu jab last year then you will still be protected against swine flu (but not normal flu)

/links

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Thanks for that. We couldn't have the jab last year with us already having swine flu

This year I think we could have it even my little boy? With us having it before. I think I will check this out. As there is no way I want us to be that ill again

Kelli

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hi, if you're not in an at risk catagory, places like Sainsburys are doing the jab for about £8. They're not licenced to give it to pregnant women though.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hi

They are doing high risk groups first, then if it becomes a bigger problem I'm sure it will be cascaded down. Having said that do ring your GP's and check if they will vaccinate under 5's. My friends GP is vaccinating under 5's, ours isn't  ::)

Mine were all vaccinated last year (as was I) and are having it again next week. No side effects at all apart from a sore arm fixed by calpol

I worked on ITU today looking after a young woman who had given birth a week ago. She has suspected SF (everyone sure he has it with her symptoms and she was fit and well before hand) and had to be induced 2 weeks early as she was so sick, sadly she still is  :'( . So far we have 1 confirmed case and 2 awaiting results

Kelli - it wont hurt to have it this year. I know with the vaccine the immunity lasts about a year according to the CDC, so potentially your immunity could reduce over time too. Do check it out xx

Please remember though everyone that in 99% of cases it's not a problem and people get better with the normal flu remedies  ^hugme^

·
Registered
448 Posts
slinkyfish said:
Please remember though everyone that in 99% of cases it's not a problem and people get better with the normal flu remedies
Such a good point and really worth remembering. Something I read this week said if you actually compare the statistics, flu rates (including swine flu) are actually really comparable with 2008 - it's just the media are reporting cases more. Flu has always in theory been a killer, and it's also worth remembering that in most fatal cases there has been an underlying medical condition which made things worse.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tams said:
it's just the media are reporting cases more.
Yes, I wondered this. My Mum just said that she read in the paper that 22,000 people died from flu 10 years ago! :eek: They may or may not be the correct figures but the point is that I don't even remember it. ???

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Jasey said:
tams said:
it's just the media are reporting cases more.
Yes, I wondered this. My Mum just said that she read in the paper that 22,000 people died from flu 10 years ago! :eek: They may or may not be the correct figures but the point is that I don't even remember it. ???
That's absolutely right. However the issue this time round is the group it's affecting. Every year thousands die of seasonal flu but they tend to be the elderly or people with serious health issues, some of them don't survive it sadly. However Swine flu seems to be causing problems for fit and healthy people, the under 5's and for pregnant ladies. I am use to seeing an ITU full of old people or people with health problems who have flu, it happens each Winter. I have not however seen an ITU where there are young healthy people and pregnant ladies with flu. I only do bank shifts on ITU now and hadn't been there for a while so it really shocked me to see them as it hasn't been reported so much this year. Last year it was everywhere and we did have cases but it never really took hold as predicted. I am ^pray^ it wont this year. That's the worrying aspect of this as it can have little effect on some and yet make other so sick they need to be admitted to ITU. I can't wait to get my 3 vaccinated as they all have underlying health conditions that put them at high risk. I had to cancel their last appointment as they weren't well enough to have it and have had a real problem making another one. Apparently they had run out of vaccines as the uptake this year has been higher than expected. Roll on the 6th! x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.