Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So good to see this eco section!

Has anyone gone down the reusable wipes route?  I've got all my nappies ready to go, and have drying on the line 36 terry reusable wipes.  My question is - if you have used these - did you just use them with water, or make your own solution to either soak them in, or keep in a bottle for when you needed something a bit more than water (or do you never really need more than water  ^idiot^)?  What did you do when out and about? 

Sorry, quite a few questions there!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

x

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I used these for a while (and keep meaning to find them again!). I kept them in a sealed bag slightly damp (run under the tap) ready for use,  then bunged them in with the used nappies for washing. Ment nothing had to go in the bin :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charlies Mum - just seen that you're newly pregnant again - congratulations!

I think I'll do what you did, and keep them pre-soaked ready to use...excellent!

Thanks again, and good luck with your pregnance  :)

x

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Just wanted to say that I bought some fleece material from our local cloth shop which cost about £3.00 in total and cut it into squares which I use as wipes (with water) when changing our wee one at home. (You could also dampen them and keep them in a waterproof bag when going out). They go into the washing machine with her nappies and dry in no time.  They're also handy as flannels in the bath or for cleaning up sticky hands and faces!  I reckon they have saved me a small fortune already, as well as cutting down on landfill!

Ellie

·
Registered
416 Posts
Living in Sweden, IKEA usually offers something :) In this case, I picked up these washcloths, which I have been recommended by a few friends. Versatile for BF, use as flannels and also as baby wipes. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40054538. Planning to just chuck them in with the nappies. A trip to IKEA isn't for everyone though!

/links

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Daft question - but why do you dry the wipes only to wet them again?? We keep ours wet out of the washing machine ???

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Not a daft question at all!  The fleece wipes are pretty much dry anyway when they come out of the washing machine but as I have enough to last 3-4 days I let them air off (sometimes just by lying in the laundry basket, sometimes by airing them on top of a radiator) so that they aren't lying around damp for days on end (although I'm now asking myself if that matters!!!).  However, thinking about it, I do use them sometimes to dry wee poppet so having them available dry is useful.

Ellie

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
hello!

We use the fleece wipes and love them, much nicer than cotton wool or baby wipes. We just use them with water too.

I got ours via ebay, something like £2 for 20 (search for washable wipes  ;) )

B x  :-*

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Thanks B, I just ordered 20 of them from ebay - 'snow leopard' print - the girls will love them!!
Jane
xx

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent idea - think I'll order some fleece ones too!

Thanks for all your info and ideas.

Laura x

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I have some fleece ones but also use j-cloths!
Lizi.x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
hmmm the idea of keeping the solutions in the fridge will make for a very cold bum when used :eek: DD shouts COLD as it is when i just use cold tap water ;D
kj x

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
I got my wipes and am using them all the time at home, but just with tap water. Should I be adding anything? It's only for their hands and faces after eating.
xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hiya J
I use the ikea flannels for wiping hands at mealtimes and I just have one on the go for the day, with just water - rinse and leave for next meal. 

C x

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ceedubya: have you tried them for nappy changes? I am planning to use them also for wiping bum and wonder if there's a reason you dont use them there?

Thx!

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi Swede,
I haven't used them as botty wipes as I already had some fleece ones and TBH stopped using washable wipes in the end!  The ikea flannels don't seem that soft to me - I'm sure they'd be fine but I just prefer something softer for bottoms...

Claire x

1 - 17 of 17 Posts