Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried using reusables a few times in Ethan's life, all times I've stopped because he gets a seriously sore bottom, to the extent that his nappy has blood stains on it from the sores  :(   
He's in reusables again, and yesterday I noticed his bum was sore and again by this morning its so sore that its bleeding and the skin is broken again.   I'm back to wondering if this is worth it  - he's crying all the time and pulling at his nappy and was only happy when I took the reusable off him and let him run naked then put a disposable on him.
I've been changing him every 1-2 hours in the reusables to try and elimate the soreness, and using a barrier cream, but its still there, and we're quite busy people, I just don't have the time to change his bum every hour!  (in disposables its at least 3 hours)
Is this common with reusables?  Does it go?  Because I've just cancelled a cloth nappy order I made yesterday, because I just don't know if I want to go on with him bleeding like this  :-\

Marie xxx

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Marie,

I'm a complete reusable nappy novice - I haven't even had my baby yet to try them out (I'm hoping it's soon though ^reiki^), but when I was researching all the different types of nappies and liners, I read that if you use a fleece liner, this is supposed to help as the wetness goes through the fleece but the fleece basically stays dry, therefore lowering the chances of getting sore bottoms as there is essentially no wetness against the skin.  Sorry if you already know all this, and you probably do having used reusables before, but thought I'd reply anyway as I was just lurking in this section!

Hope your little boy's bottom clears up soon the poor love.

xxx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hi Marie

:( I'm absolutely gutted about our reusable nappies, we've only just started using them really and yesterday was the first full 24 hour period with them on and today William's bottom is really red and rashy, in fact I'm typing this listening to him crying his eyes out  :'( through the baby monitor as DH changes him, his bottom is obviously really sore.  :(

:( I'd love to hear if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a solution 'cos I really do want to use them but I'm afraid I've got him back in disposables today while his botty heals.  :(

Hope Ethan's alright today  ^reiki^

LE I might try putting a fleece washable wipe in next time I use them see if that helps, thanks  ;)

B xx :-*

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ethan is in the paper liners as I'm awaiting a delivery of my fleece liners - I may cut up a primark fleece blanket and fashion my own though, give it a try!

He's still sore, but not as bad today.

^hugme^ ^hugme^ To little William, hope his bottom is better soon

Marie xxx

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Hi Marie

Where did you get the fleece liners? If you got them on-line do you have a link you could post so I can have a look?

W's bottom is being really slow to heal, bless him, I hate seeing his skin so red. I'm trying to leave him exposed to air for as long as possible but he has an amazing ability to sprinkle to virtually all four corners of the room  ;D ;D little tinker!

How's Ethan after the w/e?

B x :-*

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,046 Posts
we did have a few teeting troubles with nappy rash when we first started but it seesm to have sorted itself out now..after a couple of days in cloth the bum would start to get sore so i would use an eco-disposable for a day or so till it seemed on the mend, then go back to cloth..i put it down to not changing enough back then, but these days i've got a bit sloppier with changing and theres no sore bum anymore so i'm now thinking maybe it wasnt that :-\
i think it took about a month of giving the bum a bit of respite with a disposable whenever it got sore, and then it got better...the length of time before the bum got sore got longer and longer and now (6 months on) i very rarely use a disposable and she's only had a sore bum when teething

i use paper liners btw...

kj x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Marie
poor Ethan.  I thought I would just mention that Matthew has had nappy rash like that on and off for the last 6 months - in disposables, I changed back from Nature to Moltex and it's still pretty bad, so sometimes it's not the nappy it's something else.
Never really experienced it before with him either in reusables or with Moltex which we used when we gave up reusables up until 6 months ago, so I think sometimes their skin/poos/wees just change and can affect them more than before.

Claire x

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its really bad right now so I've been keeping him naked waist down while we're indoors.  Poor little thing is red raw and even his little bits are bright red.  :(    He was more or less on my breast all day yesterday, even whimpering and touching his bits while he fed  :'( :'( - heartbreaking.  He had some calpol and that seemed to help.

Marie xxx

ps - I bought the fleece liners on ebay.  ;)

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Aw Marie, it really is horrible isn't it? Poor little chap, I hope it starts to get better soon. Like you, I'm trying to get as much air as possible to W's bottom but it's not easy ....

B x :-*

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Don't forget that you can - and probably should - use barrier cream with reusable nappies, it's not recommended for disposables because it interferes with absorption.
I use this one

http://www.earthlets.co.uk/Bathroom/Baby-Skin-Care/3-Bees-Baby-Barrier/p-163-164-159/

Matthew is still having bouts of very nasty raw red rash, and he's in disposables.. :( It all gets so sore there it makes him cry when he's changed and he doesn't want to sit in the bath. It's been getting better since I got him back into moltex, but sometimes he just gets it anyway - usually when he's getting unwell and in the past it was his teeth. I also think it has something to do with what he eats as if I don't change him immediately after he's had a poo it can actually redden the skin at the top of his thighs :eek: if the nappy gets heavy and loose and then poo touches him there. I think he must do some very acid poos!!

Claire x

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear you are having all this trouble.
I use both fleece and paper liners with Rosa, don't know if that helps. What I do know though is never to leave her after a poo, I take the nappy straight off. Real nappies wont absorb the moisture from a poo as quick as a disposable and it can really eat into her bum.
Also I found creams often made any rash worse, now I only use 'natural' ones like Welda and as sparingly as possible.
Finally - 'nappy off' time every day for about 20 mins.
Rosa's worst rashes came from pampers, she's definitely allergic to them!
love and hugs
Lizi.xxx

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I second the weleda nappie cream it's fantastic.

Rachelxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
When M was teeny, she used to only get a rash with disposables.  I've not used reusebles for ages now as she worked out how to take them off, and cos she's quite big she didn't fit into any clothes!!! ;D

I found bepanthen the best when i was using washables (given up as cant spell reuseables....) and i've recently found another one that i can't remember the name of!! it's yellow and begins with M.....

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Sally - is it Metanium?  that is what we use on M's bottom when she has nappy rash

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
Yep sounds about right - smells funny though!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
How can spelling smell funny?! ;D

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
???

I meant the cream not the spelling!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
We've got good news re the nappies. The last bout of nappy rash cleared up so we've just switched over to our One Life reusables again and 3 days in W's bottom is fine!! I'm putting Metanium on each change after what Claire said and it seems to be doing the trick, I just have to get used to his bottom seeming so much bigger in his clothes now!

:)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Great news, so glad your little man isn't suffering anymore.

Our Eddie really suffers with a sore bum but has been so much better since we switched to washables.  Another good cream to try is E45 nappy cream.  Eddie is sensitive to pretty much every cream on the market (you name it, we've tried it) and only Metanium and E45 don't actually make him sore.  Metanium's a bit heavy to use at every change (once the nappy rash has cleared up) so we tend to use the E45 during the day and Metanium at night.

Pet x

1 - 20 of 30 Posts