Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I posted this on the Pregnancy general chit chat board yesterday, but as I haven't had any replies, I thought I'd see if I'd have any luck her instead............here goes......

I'm not even sure rib flare is the correct term, but all I can say is for the last 6 weeks approx (I'm now 18+6) I have been experiencing real discomfort down the right hand side of my rib cage.  Last night was definitely the worst, when I felt like something was twisting inside, like a taut rubber band about to ping(???) and had to massage the area, to relieve the discomfort, as keeping my arm above my head was just not doing the trick. 
Has anyone any other suggestions for lessening the discomfort? 
All suggestion welcome!!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
Hi DJCJ,

I had bad rib flare too so can sympathise, it really is uncomfortable. Only thing that relieves it is lifting the rib cage as much as possible so doing stretching exercises (I've been dong yoga since week 17 and found it really helped). Sitting upright as much as possible helps, especially using a gym ball to help you sit. Stand up and walk about as much as possible as it is worse when sitting as you don't realise how much you slouch especially on the sofa.

Unfortunately there is no sudden cure for it as the ribs are just separating as the uterus stretches and everything pushes upwards (including baby's limbs  ::) ) Only thing you can do is regular exercise to relieve the pressure and perhaps paracetamol if the pain is too much.

Hope this helps?

Maz x

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mazv - will try walking it off, next time it gets really uncomfortable, its probably worth investing in a gym ball too - anything to relieve the discomfort  :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi DJCJ I know exactly what you mean about the rib pain, I'm nearly 35 weeks pregnant with twins and I still get the rib pain although not half as bad as when I was first pregnant and the only thing that I found that eased it was massaging it and sitting bolt upright. I even went to the doctors as it was so painfull and she said it was just the ribs expanding to accommodate the babies.  :eek: which doesn't really help when your in agony, I also found it got worse after I ate as well and mine was on the left hand side as well, it does ease up though as your bump drops later on in pregnancy!!  :).

Gym balls are great for it too.

Have a lovely pregnancy & take care

Lisa XX  ;)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Lisa - thanks for your reply.  Good to know that it will ease off at some stage - even as I'm sitting here typing (with a ramrod straight back), I can feel it hovering in the background, one slouch, and it'll make its appearance - its just so uncomfortable.  Ho hum, what to do?  Just grin and bear it, and constantly remind myself that its a small little price to pay.......oh, and buy a gym ball! (I'll take all the help I can get!!)  ;D

The very best of luck for the main event!!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Take care&take it easy x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts