Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on rountines.  I am currently feeing my twins 3 hourly in the day and seeing how far they will go at night (sometimes 4 hours!!!).  Any ideas on routines?  They are currently 7lb and 8lb 10oz.  But would love a bit more of a routine - ideally with some felxibilty for when I'm out and about.

Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
We did the same as you for ages. It was well worth it when the nighttime gaps start to get loooonger! (And "out and about"? What's that??!!! ;) )

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hi, I know what Elle means!!!

Mine were in hospital for 3 weeks and had a good routine of feeding every 4 hours. I stuck to that day and night. After a few weeks they dropped the 4am feed.

Although they are nearly 5 I still stick to quite a strict routine. They are in bed by 7 and usually sleep through until 6.30 ish.

Tor x

·
Premium Member
7,539 Posts
Hi Lilly

Mine have always been on 3 hourly feeds in the day and initially at night also. The only real thing I stuck to from around 8-10 weeks was bath/bottle/bed at between 6.30/7pm and this has really paid off - they now sleep until 3.30am for feed from 7pm and are then up around 7 am in the morning. I go out every day and initially did this around the 3 hour window but am now able to take them out and feed them out for at least one feed. They also generally have their lunchtime nap in the buggy whilst I am out. I have on occasion tried to stretch them to 4 hour feeds in the day but they get very grumpy and tired.

Karenanna xxx

·
Registered
598 Posts
Hi Lilly - I did the same as Karenanna with the routine and found the bedtime bit with a feed before and after the bath worked really well, and gave us our evenings back which has been amazing. However tired I am or however much screaming there's been (a LOT today with horrible teeth coming through  :( ) I know that by 7pm I can sit down, sometimes with a glass of wine  ;) , and always in peace. We wake them at 10.30-11 for a dreamfeed as they nearly always take it and I'm usually up til about then, then they originally went 3hrs but that gradually stretched to 4 etc, this week they've gone through the night (with a few wake ups for the dummy) but haven't needed feeding so you will get there. They know that sleeping bags and lullabies = bedtime and go down really well now, sometimes without a bath. They normally wake up between 7-8am and feed, then it's play for an hour then a 30ish min nap before another feed (usually 2-2.5hrs after the last one), then they're 3hrly for the rest of the day. I don't stick rigidly to feeds, quite often they feed before the 3hrs but that's fine with me, if we're out they often sleep for most of it, especially in the afternoon so tend to go 3-3.5 then. It is basically the baby whisperer EASY routine, but they've settled into it themselves without any prompting from me. I've noticed that they need to sleep approx 1hr after feeding as they start yawning and getting grumpy so they either go in their hammocks or in the playpen under the mobile which sends them off to sleep. If they're really grumpy I'll go for a walk or out in the car.
The most important thing for me is to keep them in sync, I always feed at the same time otherwise the whole day is spent feeding, changing and running around doing jobs in the middle, it's so much smoother if they're feeding together, even though they don't always sleep at the same time.
Hope that waffle makes sense!  ^hugme^ 

G

·
Hi,
Our two were fed more or less every 4 hours (bottle) from the beginning.  I used to take them out every day for a walk in the buggy in the morning, first trip out was 2 days after being discharged from hospital.  I used to take bottles and formula out with me in the bag all the time so I could wander at leisure.  I did become a regular at Debenhams / John Lewis changing/feeding areas.  If I was out away from town, I'd simply feed them in their buggy seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts