Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my birth story - rather scary but well worth every minute ;D Sorry if it's a bit long-winded too::)

EDD was on the Friday and the following Monday I went to see the consultant who said that he couldn't do a sweep as the cervix was posterior and so he made an appointment for me to come in to get sorted out for an induction. Off I trotted back home to DH, he decided to travel down to London the following day as it seemed then that nothing was likely to happen until later in the week, seemed a reasonable enough assumption.....

Tuesday - DH set off to London and I carried on as normal, towards the evening I noticed the AF pains were getting stronger but constant so didn't think much of it, just assumed perhaps the baby was getting lower. By midnight they were definitely getting my attention so I took a Paracetamol and things must have calmed down as I managed to get some sleep around midnight. Woke up at 4:30 quite pleased with myself, planning what I was going to do that day - went to the loo - promptly lost my mucus plug.

Wednesday morning - rang the labour ward as the pains were every 5 minutes, but not very strong, they said ring later and just keep an eye on things. Rang DH at 5 to wish him ^birthday^ ;D and decided he better get back in the car and come home..he rang me every hour of that 5 hr journey to check on me! ;D AF pains all day lasting 20-30 secs and every 5 mins. Rang the hospital at about 6 and they said just be aware that things may suddenly hot up or, equally I could go on like this all night. By 20:30 they were every 2/3 minutes so we set off for the hospital.My poor DD ( aged 7 ) was crying her eyes out " Will you be ok mummy! " - how heartrending is that?!

At the hospital they said I was only 1cm dilated but the cervix was pretty thin, they gave me the option of staying there without my mum and DH or coming back later, luckily while we were deciding they came back and said that they might be able to squeeze us into a room ( given the fact that DH had dashed back from London and also, I think cos of my IVF history ). So, so grateful for them for doing that.

Walked round the deserted hospital with my mum, pains increasing. Classic stuff - leaning on corridor walls - excited, exhilarated even, but scared stiff too!

Thursday - By midnight the contractions had increased to 50 secs but were about every 4 mins apart. They moved me into the delivery suite, mentioned something about having to monitor me more regularly because of my age, but allowed me to sit on the ball and were very apologetic about the need to strap me to the monitor so often. To be honest, as far as I'm concerned whatever is best for the safety of the baby I am fine with, but I had really liked the idea of using the birthing pool - ah well ::)

Contractions got stronger, I got sick, tried the gas 'n air and the TENS machine ( how weird is that?! - think it helped though ). By 02:45 the contractions were every 1-2 minutes and I was having incredible back pain as the babe was back-to-back. 15 mins later the contractions were almost continuous and the epidural people arrived! FANTASTIC! ;D ;D ;D

By 04:30 though things started getting hairy - the baby's heartbeat had been dropping with the contractions which, apparently isn't a cause for alarm but now it was dropping quite considerably. They decided to move things along and inserted the gel thingy and broke my waters ( after 3 attempts by two different people! and I had spent the last few weeks worrying that I'd been leaking! ).

At least Lily had moved now into the right postion and I was 7cm dilated BUT at 07:00 with the heartbeat dropping even more they warned me that I might need an emergency section and took a blood sample from her head - thankfully it came back seconds later as all ok.

At 9cm dilated they put me on a low level of syntocin to hurry things along, still concerned about the heartbeat.

Sadly at 08:00 it was staff changeover time so we lost our fantastic team who had been amazing all night, such a shame as they were so wonderful. By 08:30 it was decided that it was all systems go and I was told to start pushing. DH was doing a fantastic job DJ'ing and our favourite artist was playing away, he and mum looked terrified though and I knew things were getting a bit hairy - then the doctor announced she was going to go for a forceps or ventouse delivery and again warned me that a section might be needed..she also explained that I may need an episiotomy - " anything else? " I thought..oh yes, and just as things were getting going a HUGE sound of drilling and hammering started from outside - imagine, the midwives all shouting "push, push, you can do it " ( and " you push, I'll pull " from the delivering doctor! ) etc.. my DH and mum looking as if they were about to faint, my favourite song in the background and major construction work happening just outside the door - I almost laughed! ha! After getting the senior midwife to tell them to shut up at least things got a little quieter in there and finally at 09:41 my beautiful little daughter came into this world - 5lb and 14 oz and grey and shrivelled with huge feet and prefect purple nails! Two miscarriages and 9 attempts in 3 different countries it took and she is worth every single tear!

We finally took her home on my daughter's 7th birthday, exactly a year to the day after I had to leave her birthday party to dash to that very hospital miscarrying at 6 weeks.

She will be 2 weeks old tomorrow and I still can't really believe she is finally here.

I want to send a MASSIVE thanks to all my FF friends who have supported me through my TX, I certainly would not have been able to have carried on without this site, would never have had the strength to venture to clinics abroad and the knowledge to keep pushing for more investigations, different protocols etc. and the confidence to keep going - thanks Mel and Tony - you have helped so many of us.

May all your dreams come true.

XXXXXXX

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi RSMUM :)

Wow! What an eventful birth story. :eek: Glad it all worked out beautifully for you though in the end. :) And as you say, Lily Christine was worth every second of it, having tried so hard to have another baby. ^hugme^ Enjoy every moment of baby Lily Christine. ;) You know how quickly they grow up - sadly they dont stay babies for long, do they. ::)

Well done hunni, and congratulations to you and DH. ^congrats^ Im sure your DD is just loving having her little sister to cuddle. ^pinkted^ ^hugme^

Trish :-*

·
Premium Member
6,690 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter  ^pinkted^

Enjoy every minute

Nikki xx

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
RSMUM-  tears in my eyes thinking of you and dear little Lily and DD.  It has been a long hard journey hasn't it?  Thanks for your support as well to me and all our buddies through all this... may all our FF make their way finally to posting such sweet news!
Love and extra hugs from me.
B

·
Registered
520 Posts
Congratulations!!! A gorgeous birth story!

We are so so very lucky!

Love Emmak

·
Registered
642 Posts
Glad DH made it back in time!  They're worth every minute of our pain though aren't they!

Ashy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts