Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can help me?  :-\
I had a laparoscopy on Friday to have my fallopian tubes clipped. It was carried out at a private hospital because i kicked up a fuss when my op was cancelled 3 times on the NHS.
The aftercare there was awful and i was sent home that day with no info on how to look after my cuts etc.... they gave me 3 new dressing pads and i was told to change them after 5 days but that was it  :eek:

My question is does anybody know how long i need to leave them on for? I have changed them and ive noticed i have some kind of tape over the cuts holding them together so no stitches, do i just keep them covered with the dressing until they fall off?!
I dont even have a number for the ward i was on to call and check so any help would be received with gratitude  :)

Thanks xx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi ya sorry 2 hear that your aftercare was rubbish! :(

How are you feeling anyway? :)

You could phone the switchboard at the hospital explain what surgery you had and they would be able to put you through to the correct ward! ^idiot^

Otherwise how do your wounds look are the edges coming together? do they look like they are healing?are they dry or exuding?

You may not need to use the dressings now but if you prefer to its fine I was advised to wash area whilst your getting washed but let area dry out DONT PUT DRESSINGS ON DAMP WOUNDS!

It sounds like steri-strip they have put on you may notice it curling at edges when its to be removed  sometimes??

As long as the wound edges are together and sealed! you have nothing to worry about in that case you could remove the tape(Stitches are removed at about 5 days anyway). It may fall off! :)

Don't know if this has been any help ^idiot^

Hope you are recovering well ^hugme^

Jayne
xxxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply  :)

Well they dont hurt anymore and the edges of the tape look like they are starting to come away from my skin on one of the cuts just above my 'lady garden' and they aren't leaking anything?

Im going for a shower now so i may remove the pads, dry myself properly and take a look at them then? My hubby bought me some savlon dressing pads so i could always put those on after if necessary huh?

xx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi ya they sound good(if wounds can :)) If they are looking good then you could remove them :)

Are you working at mo?  I'm not being nosy but if you could get away with leaving them uncovered(under clothes that don't rub! I'm not meaning walk about in nude ;D) They will heal quicker!.

But if your clothes are gonna rub your wounds or you could be exposed to anything(I work in hospital)? Definitely cover them!.

But exposure is really better now at this stage of healing.

Once they have fully healed bio oil is good at making scarring less visable If you are bothered about that. I used it on 1st op I had( not IF related) and it was great but have had a few ops now I have given up and resigned myself to looking like a patchwork quilt ;D

Jayne
xxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha....work... that was another problem. I am off at the mo, I'm self -certing for a week as they didnt inform me how long i should stay off. When i asked for a sicknote they said they would have to get my cons to sign one and they would post it on to me, it hasn't come so im due back on Friday  :(

My tummy is still quite swollen so im struggling to find anything to fit me, i can only wear joggers so that should be ok for today. I have to wear a suit to work so im hoping the swelling goes down before Friday!  :)

xx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi if you are still uncomfortable go to your gp they can give you a sick line if they have seen you! :)

Sorry to tell you this but I was bloated for a good wee while with my last wee op.! :(/

I am off work at present myself but feeling a bit guilty about that but GP refuses to let me return at mo I suppose I should try and enjoy the sun ^holiday^ .

Hope you feel more comfortable soon!

If theres anything else I can help with give me a shout!

Jayne
xxxx

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks hun, you've been a great help!  :-*
I'm off to the garden now too, make the most of my time off!

Enjoy your day xx

·
Registered
86 Posts
sorry you've not had good treatment after your op Lisa, that is rotten.  If you get concerned, for any reason, maybe try your local GP nurse?  Thats where I went for aftercare after my Lap. They just checked the wound, cleaned it and eventaully took the stitches out.
hope you enjoy your time off in the sun.. its' gorgeous here!
x

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi  :)

Just wanted to add that your gp should be able to give you a medical certificate for more time off work.  When I had my op I forgot to ask the cons for a sicknote, so my DH phoned my gp surgery a couple of days later and they signed me off, DH just had to go in and pick up the certificate.  I definitely needed it, I ended up taking two weeks off. 

Hope you recover well.  BTW, vit E cream is very good for minimising scarring!

Helen
x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.