Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I am new.

I was all geared up for my day 21 appointment and prepared for the beginning of my IVF treatment after a long wait with LGI (Leeds).

Everything was fine with my scan check.  Then the nurse said the consultant would like to speak to us with something.  We were still optimistic with the fact that it is finally our turn for the treatment.  The consultant came in and told us that they found there is no rubella immune system in my blood test.  And he already rang up my GP, and arranged for the vaccination the very next day.  I should call in again in my next cycle the first day to arrange for the next Day 21.  The fact that it is going to have another month delay due to the full effect after the vaccine injected is pretty disappointing.  I realised with my GP that it was MMR rather than just single dose of rubella.  Then I was told in my GP that I would also need a booster one month later after the first vaccine.  My God, it would be 2 months delay, seems like ……… 

I am very frustrated with the fact that why I cannot to be told sooner until the last minute.  After all, all the tests have been done so much time ahead.  And why I haven’t been told that it is going to have a booster as well until I turned up to my GP.  Is it a right procedure?  Are there any complications with MMR vaccine?         

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Sorry that you are going through this hun.  Just to ask where do you live?  There are places that you can pay to have the single rubella vac on its own.  I am only saying so that you have a choice.  I had the single vac for my dd's from a company called direct health 2000.  I am not sure about the mmr but that is only my opinion.

Rxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Rebecca

I have also had 2 lots of treatment at LGI  :)  We were told at our initial consultant that we needed proof that I have had the Rubella injection and would need to get a copy of the results from my GP and take it with me to the next appointment.

Sorry I can't help you out with your other questions.

All the best

x x x x

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Fabizzy, thank you for your info.  I already had my MMR the very next day of my day 21 appointment. 

Scooby, thank you for letting me know I am not the only one in such situation.  Noticed that you are pregnant and only not long to wait.  So happy for you!  So LGI is quite good place for IVF treatment as far as you concern??

Rebecca 

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Rebecca

We had some concerns after our first tx so moved to Care in Sheffield which is where we had second tx and was going to be our 3rd tx but then the funding came through and had to go back to LGI.

I was very sceptical about it but they have improved things  :)  :)

x x x

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya Scooby

Thank you for your quick reply!
Just been as sceptical as yourself I think.  What I found is that each time we were seeing different counsultants, and they all seemed to read the file in the last min while we were there.  Somehow it does give an impression of not very well organised.    :-\

xxx   

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

We never saw the same Consultant / Nurse during first tx but now they have put you into teams.  This should mean that you see a set number of Nurses and we did see two of the same Nurses.  I think we saw a few Consultants but they seemed to know what they were doing and had pre read the file.

I think its so busy and they are also seeing Fee Paying couples, private and also NHS Patients that they have alot of couples passing through there.

x x

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
rebeccaF said:
What I found is that each time we were seeing different counsultants, and they all seemed to read the file in the last min while we were there. Somehow it does give an impression of not very well organised. :-\
Tell me about it :p We both had our tests done 6 months ago whilst we waited for NHS funding for our IVF and when we went to collect our drugs for the treatment and sign consent forms we were informed that they couldn't find our results, even though the tests were done by the fertility unit next door to Nurture Clinic! We still don't know if they found them yet, but they didn't seem bothered anyway and told us to start treatment and if they don't find them then we would have to come in and have some more done. ::)

Everything about our experience as NHS funded patients so far has been disorganised, but we can't complain really as we consider ourselves very lucky to have this opportunity to conceive :)

Hope you don't have to wait much longer to begin your treatment.

Elle x

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it really all we can do for being NHS funded, just feeling sorry for ourselves and sympathetic for the couples who go through with the similar experiences??  After all, it is still our tax money, it is not really free.

Are there really different treatments between private and NHS funding cases???

Rebecca

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

No the only difference between NHS and funded (fee paying) is that you pay for treatment and get it quicker.

However, if you go private then you get to see Professor Balen / Mr Rutherford at all appointments.

x x x

1 - 10 of 10 Posts