Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I wrote too much before.
DEAR RUTH, IN YOUR KNOWLEDGEABLE EXPERIENCE WHEN NO MORE THAN 12 CYCLES OF CLOMIFENE ARE ADVISED, DOES THAT MEAN OVULATORY CYCLES ONLY?

I am worried about taking 150mg next month with the possibility of quite a few more times as my clinic feel if I haven't ovulated then I haven't reacted to the drug and therefore am not at risk of ovarian cancer/lining changes. If I am putting myself at risk, I will have to refuse their advice. I have had 7 cycles and ovulated twice. They would like me to ovulate at least 6 and preferably 12 times.

Please help. I'm confused.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rowena.

I was prescribed Clomid for 9 months and had detected ovulation 4 times, but no pregnancy's. My consultant then refused to prescribe any further. My thoughts would be that the side effects and possible risks would be there purely from just taking the clomid -  whether ovulation occured or not was irrelevant.

Here is a little something I found on the long term use of Clomid:

What are the side effects of taking Clomid?
Side effects of taking Clomid are uncommon; some women may get hot flushes, nausea, mood changes, headaches, flashes of light or abdominal discomfort.  It is normally recommended that clomid should not be used for more than 12 months (in some countries, the licensed recommendation is 6 months) because of the increased risk of ovarian cancer.

Clomid in high doses and in some women may alter the quality of cervical mucus, making it thick, and may also affect the endometrium making it less receptive.It is recommended that if ovulation has not been achieved after four treatment cycles, the patient is considered unresponsive and treatment using Clomid is discontinued.

Hope this helps,

Adrienne

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would completely support what Adrienne has written. I had always been told clomid should only be given a certain number of cycles, first I was told 6 then it was changed to 12 after research carried out. It did not matter if ovulation did or didn´t occur, it was the taking of the medication which counted.

Ruth

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Adrienne and Ruth,
You confirm what I feel inside as despite ovulating I am getting hot flushes and lower abdominal pains. I thought the clinic I had chosen were good, so I can't understand why they have said that if you don't ovulate then it's not counted in the 12 maximum recommendation. An area that needs clarifying in the NICE guidelines perhaps.

I feel stronger now and have written to CSM and NICE about this.

Thank you for all for supporting me. Back to battling the clinic. After 3 years of trying and 2yrs of medical supervision, I now feel like I'm just beginning on this struggle for treatment  :'(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.