Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi there!

I'm due to have a saline ultrasound done on Monday morning in preparation for starting our first IVF cycle in March. I don't have much idea about what this will involve so I wondered if anyone out there can enlighten me please?

I've had cycle monitoring done previously so I'm used to internal scans but I'm not so sure about the 'saline' bit! Is this uncomfortable and do you get any cramping afterwards? Is it best to take a painkiller beforehand (like you would with an HSG) or is it just going to be like a normal internal scan?

Any advice about this would be much appreciated!!!

Love,

Angel

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi Angel,

How are you?

A saline ultrasound is done by having an internal scan, then a tiny cafeter is put through to your uterus. This allows fluid to swim around. The nurse will be looking for lumps, bumps, skin tags and polyps. All takes about three minutes and should be painless! Mine was quite painful due to cafteter(spell check??) being too long and going all the way to the other side of uterus! Had me doubled up with cramping but pain only lasted few seconds.

I would take a painkiller beforehand just in case.

I had very mild cramping for about half an hour afterwards.

Take a panty liner for afterwards because you can get a bit wet!

Lots of love

Emmak

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Emma,

Thanks for your reply . . . and for the advice to take a pantyliner - I hadn't thought about that one!  I think I will take a painkiller beforehand just to be on the safe side.  The procedure sounds revolting to me - at least with the other things I've had done previously, they were done under general anaesthetic!  Mind you, it's just another internal scan really isn't it and I've had plenty of them so far!

How are you doing now anyway?  I hope you're feeling OK and are ready for better luck next time!

Love,

Angel

PS Had the meeting about the hypnotherapy on Thursday - really nice guy but it was going to cost £520 so I'm sticking to my 'hypnoconception' cd for now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts