Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.Just wondered which one you are taking1!GOT a bit confussed as to which one is best as they both have completley different levels of vits!! Help!

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
hiya, i didn't realise they had different things in them!  :eek:  currently taking sanatogen but have had pregnacare, I usually get what ever is on offer  ;)

I'll bump up a poll I did some time ago for you to have a nosey at x

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I didn't know this - thought that they were all much of a muchness!
Just so happen to have both here (I moved onto pregnacare this month due to a Boots 3 for 2 or something) - here's how they compare in per cent RDA (or mg if none avalailable)!

Sanatogen:                            Pregnacare:
Vit D -        250%                                    100%
Vit E -          100%                                    200%
Vit C -          67%                                    117%
Vit B1 -        114%                                  214%
Vit B2 -          113%                                  125%
Vit B3 -        106%                                  111%                 
Vit B6 -        130%                                  500%
Vit k -              -                                  70 ug
Folic a            350%                                  200%
Vit B12 -        250%                                600%
Betacarotene -  -                                    2mg
Biotin -          133%                                    -
Pant A -          145%                                  -
Calcium -          17%                                  -
Phosph -          17%                                  -
Iron -              100%                                    121%
Magnesium -      33%                                    50%
Manganese -      1mg                                  -
Copper -            1000ug                                1 mg
Zinc -              50%                                    100%
Selenium            -                                    30ug
Iodine -              -                                    93%

Now I can't really make head or tail from this - maybe someone who knows more can give a commentary?  For me - I hadn't realised that Pregnacare doesn't have calcium - so that will be one I may need to have extra....

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I take Pregnacare & have done since about 3mths before we started ttc...so been on them about 2 & half years !!!!

I compared the quantities in Pregnacare to those suggested by Marilyn Glenville's book...I did start taking multi vits on top to cover those not in pregnacare but apparently too much vit A isn't good so I stopped !

I also take extra selenium & zinc, as well as flaxseed oil (take evening primrose with starflower until ovulation). No I don't rattle...too much ;D

I think as long as you have a healthy diet as well (we eat alot of organic food & plenty of fruit/veg) then I don't think it really matters which Prenatal supplement you take...folic acid is one of the most important though !

Good luck & take care ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is a good question.  I was wondering the same. 

Where can you get Sanatogen?  At Boots?  Thanks.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
sweetpeapodder

This is what is in the daily intake of marilyn glenville supplements :

Beta-carotene 15mg
Vitamin B1 20mg
Vitamin B2 20mg
Vitamin B3 20mg
Vitamin B5 20mg
Vitamin B6 20mg
Vitamin B12 20mcg
Folic Acid 400mcg
Vitamin C 200mg
Vitamin E 300iu
Vitamin D 100iu
Selenium 100mcg
Zinc 30mg (elemental)
Calcium 20mg (elemental)
Magnesium 20mg (elemental)
Chromium 20mcg
Manganese 5mg
Iron 5mg

Hope this helps
Audrey

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
So which would we say are better? I'm on Sanatogen at the mo but need to stock up again.

xx

·
Registered
11 Posts
both are designed exactly for pre conception and pregnancy.  however I would probably take the Sanatagon, as it has higher doses of folic acid. 

I am actually on prescription folic acid of 5,000 as I had one pregnancy affected with neural tube defects.

I was taking the 400 mg of it on my first pregnancy, but unforunately in some women this condition affects causing a much higher dosage of prescription folic acid.

It its for this reason I would say the Sanatogen it has higher than the recommended UK amount

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sorry if its a stupid question but can anyone tell me why we shouldnt take Vit A???  ^idiot^  ^idiot^  ^idiot^  ^idiot^  ^idiot^  ^idiot^

thanks
Als xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Vitamin A can be toxic in high levels causing birth defects.

In practice this means a pregnant lady ( or a lady trying to get pregnant ) should not take supplements containing vitamin A or eat liver.
Eating vegetables with vitamin A is ok ( as the vit A they contain is from a different source to the supplements and liver ) so you can eat as many carrots as you like.

meercat
xx

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thank you Meercat.... ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ 

^fairydust^

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I think I read on the Pregnacare information that you can suppliment with the Osteocare (though you should take them at different times of day as some of the ingredients can interact to reduce absorption) to make sure you get enough calcium.

Is flaxseed the best vegetarian alternative to fish oils, and is it safe to take when pg?

Cheers
Lizi

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Thats handy to know - thanks Lizi - I was worried about my calcium level as I am high risk of osteoporosis because of early menopause.  I will get the Osteocare :) 

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi LiziBee

As far as I'm aware flaxseed oil is fine to take when pg...it does similar job to Evening Primrose Oil but since EPO can cause uterine contractions it shouldn't be taken during 2ww or when pg...I take EPO until ovulation & then flaxseed after.
I don't think you should go overboard with flaxseed intake during pg, everything in moderation...but obviously I'm not a professional herbalist, just interested in it & read quite alot about it...if you have any concerns perhaps you could speak to a herbalist...Neals Yard usually have knowledgable staff.

Take care
Natasha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.