Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't want this post to offend anyone, but I'm quite interested to hear people's views.

I have just had a discussion with my childminder about the way she encourages her charges to say 'ta' instead of 'thank you'.  I'm sure it makes me a terrible snob, but I feel extremely strongly about the use of language, and simply don't want Josh to be deliberately taught slang terms, especially when it's a word I would never use myself.  I've noticed that a lot of people working with children (health visitors, nursery staff etc) do the same.

I do understand that thank you is a difficult word to say, but children will find their own way of pronouncing things, won't they?

So what do you think?  Do you 'ta', or don't you? ;)

xx Clare

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My MIL always says 'ta' to Daniel and it drives me nuts. I've taught him to say thank you and he can say it fine so this is what we encourage. I always teach them to say the correct words rather than baby talk.

Viv

·
Registered
937 Posts
We've always used 'thank you', and Daniel's first words were 'thank you' so I don't think that it's any more difficult than 'ta'. So not all of us working with children (infant school teacher, here) use 'ta'! ;)

Jules

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Oops Ethan says 'ta' - actually, he hardly says anything yet and can get quite frustrated, so its quite helpful that he can at least communicate that he wants something.   I do say to him 'Thank you' now instead of 'Ta' but .... I'm just not too worried about something that he won't be saying for long, anyway.  

Marie xxx

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thinking back, we always signed 'thank you' as well as saying it, so that probably helped on the communication front.

Jules

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Marielou said:
Oops Ethan says 'ta' - actually, he hardly says anything yet and can get quite frustrated, so its quite helpful that he can at least communicate that he wants something. I do say to him 'Thank you' now instead of 'Ta' but .... I'm just not too worried about something that he won't be saying for long, anyway.

Marie xxx
Bel is the same and I see Ta as her at least using language

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
We used ta when they very first started speaking but now it's thank you, although I must admit I'm not really fussed either way - ta is better than nothing!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting.  I've not tried any signing.  

Josh says please beautifully, and often without any prompting (if he doesn't say it I just wait, and he always remembers :) ) but he's never said thank you, or even tried.  At the moment he is echoing EVERYTHING I say, and loves copying words, but when I ask him to 'say thank you' he just looks at me blankly ;D ;D  

Clare/Marielou/Chux, absolutely - using any word is great.  I'm just interested in why it seems so common to teach ta instead of thank you - that's why I assumed that thank you was considered to be a difficult word to pronouce ???

I think ultimately I'm just a horrible snob -Josh will no doubt pick up all sorts of slang over the years, so I may as well get used to it ;D

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
~ Chux ~ said:
ta is better than nothing!

Chux xx

yeah I'd rather she say ta than nothing, my dad says it (not sure if its a yorkshire thing!) I am going to encourage Thank you when she can put 2 words together but we can't even do all gone yet.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
ClareMack said:
Josh says please beautifully, and often without any prompting (if he doesn't say it I just wait, and he always remembers :) ) but he's never said thank you, or even tried.
If you think about it, he's already had what he wants so 'thank you' isn't going to get him anything. OTOH, 'please' is necessary if he wants whatever is on offer.

ClareMack said:
I'm just interested in why it seems so common to teach ta instead of thank you - that's why I assumed that thank you was considered to be a difficult word to pronouce ???

I think it very much depends on the child. J was speech delayed and at 18 months is only word was 'car' so getting him to say 'ta' was a major achievement. M is the complete opposite and a total chatterbox so we started her on 'thank you' quite early on.

I don't think it's snobby and I'm sure we all have certain words we'd rather our LO's didn't use whereas others won't have a problem with them - my friend taught her boys to say 'tata' which made me cringe - mine were told to say 'bye'.

Chux xx

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Funny you should ask this as my parents have just started teaching my LO "Ta"  and i have started doing it. But, now i keep thinking we should say "Thank You" i dont use ta myself.  Mind you, as others have said it's better than nothing and maybe easier at this age (only 13 months). Guess they will move on to Thank you eventually....

UMMMMM a tricky one.....  :-\

jo x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I don't think your being snob at all, we use ta, only because it came easy to Alex and he uses it without prompting, if he does need prompting we say Alex say thank you and he'll say ta.  We always use thank you when speaking to him in the hope that when he vocab moves on he'll automatically adopt thank you...

I personally have no problem with babies using baby speak but we just ensure we don't use it - I personally find it adorable that Alex asks for his breakfast as "bixbix peese"  Weetabix please...  :)  Melts my heart morning after morning!!

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
~ Chux ~ said:
If you think about it, he's already had what he wants so 'thank you' isn't going to get him anything. OTOH, 'please' is necessary if he wants whatever is on offer.

OMG of course - elementary! So how do you teach it? Just repetition I suppose? ???

LOL at 'tata' ; all part of life's rich tapestry ;D

Bev, awwwww 'bixbix peese' :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm a "thank you" person, I hate "ta" - Probabbly as I grew up being told "tar" goes on the road!!!!

We always use thank you with A, and when she starts saying it, it may come out garbled, but I think it will be easier in the long run rather than confuse her with one word and then re-learn another.

But I also prefer people using A's full name and not shortening it to Alex.

Toni

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
ClareMack said:
So how do you teach it? Just repetition I suppose? ???
I guess so - if you remind him every time, eventually it's going to be drummed in and he'll say it without thinking in the same way we do.....................or at least that's what I hope will happen!

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Funny as a few weeks ago Molly was handed something by her great nan and I said 'thank you Molly' as in for her to say it. Although she's only 8 months old, never to young to start them off ;) and her great nan said 'thank you, she won't be able to say that it's ta'

:mad: well that straight away rubbed me up the wrong way ;D I'm a stickler for manners so will be hot on this with Molly and I rarely ever use the word ta to be honest. So will try to teach Molly thank you instead, especially if it winds the out laws up ;D ;D

x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
I think I heard Matthew's childminder say ta but she's not a native english speaker so probably doesn't get the subtleties of whether people are sensitive to it or not.   I wasn't sure whether to bring it up with her because she knows full well that M can say thank you.

Personally I'm not one for 'ta'  - probably snobby on my part but I have always thought that I'd rather M didn't say it and waited til he could say thank you.  After all no one really expects little children to say anything much early on - they can't say please straight away either so their mum has to say it for them.  I didn't think it was rude so long as I would say 'thank you' on his behalf, usually in a very exaggerated way so that he would learn it from me. 

He learnt to say please first and initially he would only say it if I said "what do you say?" before he got something - and once I knew he could say it I would not give him something until he said it - I have waited quite a long time before giving him things sometimes!!  ;D But it worked!  He says please now without prompting - in a really grammatically correct way too!!  " can I have a biscuit please mummy?"  which makes me go weak, I love it!

Thank you did take a bit longer, mostly because once they have been given something they don't have an incentive any more, but he learnt it pretty quickly, he also says that unprompted now too - and sometimes in this really exaggerated way when he gets a present "oh wow thank yoooooooooou!"  ;D ;D ;D

When we were teaching him thank you and someone had given him a present, we used to say "that's a lovely present, what do you say?" , he'd often get muddled up and say please, so we'd say "no you say please when you want something and then thank you when you get it" and now he often says "please and then thank you!" which also cracks me up!!  ;D ;D

Claire x

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I used Ta with Kitty when she was tiny and then when she was older i just changed it to thank you......she didn't have a problem changing, after all they are learning new language all the time :)

As for saying thank you afterwards.....if I'm handing something to Kitty and she forgets to say thanks then I don't let go until she does. Always works ;D

Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
My mom has always been a stickler for language and speaking properly (and in fact sent me to elocution lessons!! ::) ) BUT she always used baby language with me! From 'ta' to 'bow-wow' she used the lot!! Doesn't make much sense but there you go. It never did me any harm, and like most children, I naturally progressed to using the proper terms for things.

I haven't used baby language with Lola, mainly because she's already learning two languages, so I thought it might confuse her. I've always said 'thank you' as a model for her, but amazingly she says 'ta' in reply and I have no idea where she's got it from! As for simplifying difficult language, well thank you in Turkish is 'Teşekkür ederim' pronounced te-shek-kur ed-er-im which is a right mouthful, and funnily enough, she hasn't attempted that one yet!! ;D

I like the way that she uses the proper words for things, so I'm glad I did it this way, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with baby language- it never did me any harm! It's all about personal choice after all.

Intersting debate though :)

Jo xx

·
Registered
759 Posts
Our LO doesn't say 'thank you' or 'ta' at the moment - and we never use the word 'ta', so I don't think she's even heard it. But they learn by imitating what they hear around them, so she will no doubt say 'thank you' in her own good time. I personally would prefer it to 'ta' too, mainly because 'ta' never has been part of my own vocabulary due to where I come from.

She says lots of other (not so useful!) words though - such as 'cheetah', 'caracal' and 'cup of tea', very clearly. So, I don't think it's because she *can't* say 'thank you' - more that she doesn't feel the need to. Not that she really NEEDS to say 'cheetah' or 'caracal' mind! :)

We do use other 'baby' versions of some words and she copies them - e.g. 'nap nap' for 'nappy'. To be honest, that doesn't matter so much to me - she also hears us say 'nappy'. As long as they hear the correct version as well as 'their' version, they will learn sooner or later.

One thing I find fascinating is how children make up their own versions of words too - our LO has made up her words for lots of things - from mermaids to frogs. Her version is totally different from the 'correct' English word. It makes me wonder where she gets them from! Does anyone else find this funny? We sometimes use 'her' words because it's so cute, but I also repeat the correct versions so that she will learn.

Kasia

1 - 20 of 39 Posts