Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we went to our information day today and was really scared at prospect of injecting myself with the needles,i was hoping to get an epipen for the needle to go in ,but was told they dont give them out...is it really painfull or am i worrying for nothing,so excited at getting this far and am due to start next tuesday..

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hi lilacbunnykins,

love the name  ;D  ;D !!

I was also very afraid of needles and am still not very good with/near them. However, after trying acupuncture ( I literally wobbled/shook through the whole first and second treatment!!) and a nurse telling an  showing me how to do my injections, I surprised myself by managing to do injections myself.
The needles are tiny and very thin, so go into th eskin really easily. You can buy gels and wipes to numb the skin, hope somebody who has done this, will come along and advise you.
Also: I had actually rang my surgery and they had agreed to do the injections every mornging for me. The weekends it woudl have been my DH. Maybe that woudl help you?
In the end it is useful to remember that you only inject a tiny amount of liquid using a tiny needle and putting it into your fat layer (legs or tummy). It really does not hurt. It can sting a bit though.

Your clincin shoudl show you hwo to do the injections and if you feel you really cannot do it, then make sure that you take Dh along so he can learn.

Good luck with it all, hun.

Carolien Anne

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi lilacbunnykins,

I understand exactly how you feel! I had a HUGE phobia. But as Carolien says, its much much easier than you might imagine and the needles really are very thin. Infact you barely feel a thing!!

Looking back it was the thought of it that was worse than actually doing it. I used to have to lay down when having blood tests and often had huge panic attacks!

Still not pleasant but no more panic attacks at least! Its a tiny tiny annoyance in comparison to why we are doing it  :)

I wish you lots of luck for Tuesday xxx  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
HAve you asked for an auto-injector? Not sure if that is what you  mean by epipen. WIth the thing I use you prepare the syringe as normal then insert it into the autoinjector. At a click of a button it injects you and pushed the syringe down - much easier! x

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
^hello^ Lilacbunnykins

I was exactly the same as you before I started our first tx.  I even had to lie down each time they needed to take blood or go anywhere near me with a needle.

However, I will say that the needles are so small and tiny that you really don't feel them going in at all  :)  I also think that come that time its needs must and you just get on with it. 

All the best

x x x x

·
Registered
817 Posts
it's nothing. my husbadn did them.
on the one occasion i got afriend (dr) to do it, she made it agony. later she said she hadn't needed to inject anyone for 15 years. hmmm. there is a downside to being senior.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,well i did get a pen to put the needle in,but did 1st injection today and didnt even feel needle go in(did it in belly,prob cause of all the fat there lol)so then worried when i pushed the needle to put stuff in me that was gonna hurt...but nope,it just stung a bit so was really pleased,cant wait till tmrow now lol

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi

I was exactly the same on my first one, couldn't look and a friend had to tell me to push the plunger but I didn't even think it had broken the skin  ;D  ;D  ;D

All the best for your treatment.

x x x

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hi,

I made my DH do the injections for me.  On my 1st attempt at IVF I used a freezer pack on my tummy first.  On the 2nd attempt we didn't bother with the freezer packs.

I will tell you many years ago when I started down the IF route and started on clomid I had to get my mum to come with me for the blood tests - I was that scared.

Now I've had so many blood tests, 2 attempts at IVF, acupuncture and I also had Gestational Diabetes whilst pregnant(I had to inject myself with insulin), and I still petrified on needles.

Saying all this I have got a blood test tomorrow morning because now I have an under active thyroid so monthly blood tests.  By the way my mum no longer comes with me for the blood tests - I take my boys instead  ;D

Goodluck

Sharon xx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts