Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

looking for some support and any advice on things I can say a our DD school appeal this thurs

situation is we moved in mid oct and have been allocated a school ( our second closest) that is over a huge main road and is not suited to our DD needs for a  numbers of reasons, the main being she has heariing issues ( although hopefully not permanent) but the school offered teaches their reception in three large interconnecting classrooms and teaching is by the 6 adults that work there. our concern is the level of significant background noise made by up to 90 children and her inability to be montiored well enough.
we have put all this in the appeal also the fact of lots of life changes leaving nursery, starting school, moving moving schools and that I am expecting a sister for our family.
I have stressed the impact on her due to these changes such as clingyness mouth ulcers return of night wetting and nighmares, I have also included the importance of her making new connections in her new area ( so far the only other child she knows is her our new next door neighbour who attends the school we want her to go to)
I have also highlighted our family situation my complicate pg and the need for a c-section which will make getting our DD to school almost impossible after the birth of DD2.

my questions for you all are is there anything I have missed and do any of you have any advice on what I may be asked or things I should stress at the appeal.

we are somewhat bound by infant class sizes at the desired school not in reception but in year one they could technically accomadate her now but not in sept

thanks in advance

FEW

·
Registered
366 Posts
few

i have gone through an appeal for my daughter when we moved about six years ago. There was a panel of about three people plus the headmaster and a school govenor.  Its important to put across your reasons (which look good ones to me) clearly and calmly without getting emotional.  It is also worth checking if you dont suceed in your appeal if you can remain on the waiting list until a  place comes up.

It is hard not to feel slightly overwhelmed but it is important to state your reasons clearly and calmly. 

We did suceed in our appeal purely because she was going into the juniors year three and someone went and measured the size of the classroom and declared it was able to take more than thiry even though the headmaster was saying only thirty so she got in.However had she been appealing for an infant place ie reception yr 1 or yr 2 then by law they can only take 30 in a class so she would not have got a place.

Good luck keep us all informed :) :)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experinece sparkly jewel

it went as well as can be expected so we have to wait now till 10am tom and ring for an answer

we had quite a journey to get there due to the snow even hitched a ride at the end of our road but I felt we presented the best case we could and will have to wait and see

the school could take her now as the recpetion class is 25 not 30 but  it is next year in year one that the class size becomes an issue as they vertically group year1 and 2 ( ie join them together to 5 classes of 30)

the LEA woman was very matter of fact and said we just cannot accomadate her but the panel did pick some holes in the logical she was putting forward so really hope for a positive outcome.

with regards to the waiting list she will still be able to remain on it even if we are not successful and if the appeal fails but they feel she falls into the special circumstances category they can move her up the list which would help if they agree with her needs

so we wait till tom

Fran

·
Registered
366 Posts
Fran

Fingers crossed for you :) :)

I never expected to win our appeal but I did.  I think you have done the best you can.  Let us know the outcome.

There is nothing worst than not being happy with the schoolyour child is in :(

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hiya

just to let you know that even against the odds we have won  ;D ;D DD starts in Janurary

Fran

·
Registered
366 Posts
hurrah great news.  To be honest I thought you would, especially when you said there were only 25 in the class.  Also your reasons were sound as well.  Did they say the reason why you had won?

Congratulations to you and your daughter excellent news :) :) :) :) 

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we find the reasons out when we get the officail letter next week but we were told on the phone we were very lucky as we were fighting it on the infant class size basis as the year one and two are mixed into 5 classes of 30 so by rights they should not be able to accomadate her next sept
I will be interested to see what the letter says.

all I need to do now is contact the school on Monday and arrange her start date and a visit to see her new teacher.

Bless she was as pleased as we were and couldn't wait to tell our neighbours daughter who is also in recption hopefully they will let them be in a class together

thanks for the support

Fran

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.