Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we moved last April and unfortunately our local school which has an outstanding Ofstead Report didn't have any spaces so we went on a waiting list.  DS started at the school which we had picked before we knew we was moving, which is the school my childminder (Sister) already collects from (only satisfactory on Ofstead Report).

Today I received a phone call to say that DS has a place at our local school.  Should be happy, but not, I feel like we don't have a choice but to keep him where he is.  DS has settled in at school and is receiving some extra help with Maths and English.  I feel mean thinking of moving him 1/2 way through his first year of school, but on the other hand wonder if the school with the outstanding report would be better for him.  There are no guarantees just because the school has a better report, ds would do better there, is there?  My other problem now is he would also have to change childminders as my Sister cannot collect, or drop him off as she has taken on another girl who she drops off at the same school as ds.

Would you even think of moving your child once he has settled 1/2 way through his first year at school.  I'm concerned as I know the school have taught the jolly phonics way and ds school has used the Ruth Miskin method, so teaching is totally different as well.  Seems we now don't have a choice, just wish ds had got in there at the start.

Shazznewman

·
Registered
574 Posts
Can't offer any advice on the impact of moving a child halfway through the first year, but I teach in a school which has moved from Jolly Phonics to Ruth Miskin - the current big favourite - and quite frankly the alphabet is still the alphabet. Letters make the same sounds, whichever scheme the school has bought into. If your DS is finding literacy difficult it may take him a little while to get up to speed but I wouldn't let that aspect of the change sway you one way or the other. If the school is getting outstanding ofsted reports they will be keen to ensure ALL children make good progress, but as you say, that's no guarantee he will do better. Sorry that's not much help is it ??? .

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I've found a childminder who can drop off and pick up, much more pricey than my current childminder (my Sister), so will have to think of putting ds in holiday club or something for holidays, unless my Sister has a space and will take him for some of the holidays.

Still finding it really hard and upsetting to think of moving him, but think it could be the right decision, or it had better be if we decide to move him.

Has anyone moved their lo's for similar reasons and did it work out ok?

Shazznewman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts