·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thanks mrs b
I was wondering if anyone knows the impact of the jab for those who have high nks. Is it likely to rsise them even more?
Thanks for any info you may have
Kate

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good point, I've been told by my Occ Health department at work that because of the medication I'm on might compromise my immune system that they won't give me the jab until my GP has written to them to confirm there are no contra indications.  I think they are worried about the steroids, but I will also mention the IVIG.  The problem with my GP is that they don't understand the medications the ARGC use, and I'm not sure they would know what IVIG is!  When my husband asked the ARGC he was just told to speak to our GP so it is a case of going round in circles.  If I get any more answers I will post.

My worry is that cases are on the rise and I work in a hospital, as well as all the travelling to the clinic on public transport, I'm getting quite worried about my exposure to swine flu / seasonal flu as people just don't 'catch it kill it bin it', I've had two people just sneeze on me yesterday on the train, gross!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thing to think about as well is asking our partners to get the jab, my DH had his done in Sainsbury's this morning for about £8,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, one more small update, just spoke to the ARGC who said not to have the jab done before you have the immune test because it might effect the results.  I'd guess this only applies if you were thinking of having the two close together as I was, if they are weeks apart I'm sure it is fine.  The vaccine is not a live virus anyway so not sure how much of an impact it would have...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi All

The recommendations are to have the flu jab if you are pregnant, regardless of medication. Long term use of steroids is classed as a high risk group - ie longer than 4 weeks as they suppress your immune system. Better to be safe than sorry. It seems that pregnant women are particularly suceptible in the 3rd trimester probably due to reduced lung capacity.

As MrsBA2 says it is an inactivated vaccine and we have been giving it to pregnant women in high risk groups for many years.

It takes about 14 days to produce antibodies from the vaccine.

Hope this helps to make an informed decision

Loobieloobs xxx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.