Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question for you,
I am making a 1 shaped birthday cake for Alec but know I will be making it in a rush one evening after work so am getting perpared. I have got bits to decorate (candle and marzipan frogs and crocodiles!) it with but I wondered about the icing... for you home bakers out there, what kind of icing do you reccomend for a simple covering on a cake which will then be decorated. Buttercream with colouring? Or would you but the roll out packet of icing or a tub of shop frosting (not bought either of those before, not sure what they are like).

Helen

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I would probably use roll out icing and then decorate around the bottom with butter icing and a piping bag. 

Good luck.

T xx

·
Premium Member
18,308 Posts
When I made Benjamin's birthday cake I bought a ready to roll icing and cut out shapes to go on the top. I just used food colour to colour it which was really easy. There's a pic in my gallerys here:

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10322&pos=1

The ready to roll icing is very easy to use and I think not quite so sickly as buttercream - especially if you are doing a Victoria sponge type with buttercream in the middle.

You're brave making it in the shape of a 1. I wimped out on actually making my cake in a penguin shape in the end, although it was my original intent! Hope it goes well.

C~x

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blimey Caz, that is fab!  Im cheating and have got a 1 shape mould! I started with high expectations of doing a 3D train and have obviously scaled down my plans!!

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Caz - that is fab.

I have ordered Morgans cake today from Costco :-[

I am planning on doing Sadies cake though because I think she will want an Iggle Piggle !!!

T xx

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Mrs-GG,
I make cakes and find using the ready rolled out icing is really easy to use. If you spread a really thin layer of jam all over the cake and then lay on your icing. All you have to do is gently push the icing into the corners with a finger. The ready to use icing is really soft and pliable and if you make a mistake you can easily take it off and start again. When you're happy with it just cut off the excess. If you do it the day before or on the day  it will stay really soft with a really thin shell. If you want it to go hard then do it about a week before. When you've finished the cake you can wet your fingers and dampen the icing, it will make it shiny and take out the little creases. You don't have to use the expensive stuff either I generally use supermarket home brand. It's alot cheaper and I've found no difference in the quality. You can also buy pens that are filled with food colouring. They are really easy to use as well and you can write or draw easily with them. Another tip is to finish your cake board mix a few drops of food colouring into some desicated coconut and mix it up and then spread a thin layer jam on the board and sprinkle the coconut on. It also hides any little mistakes like wobbly edges!!! Good luck, sorry for going on but I could talk (and eat  ;D ) cakes all day.
By the way trains are really easy too, Just use a rectangle shaped cake and swiss rolls or mini rolls to make the shape, cover with icing hey presto.
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, you gorgeous Nigellas! I think ready roll icing it is.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hi,

I used to do cakes with roll out icing all the time.  Its so easy to use - just dont let it dry out too much as it will have cracks where you need to bend it around the 1.

I use ready made frosting now as I'm in America - the home of Betty Crocker (!) and that's also easy although a pain to get in the icing bag.  They generally go a bit harder out in the air but remains soft in the middle so you could pipe blobs around the edge with it.  Also, you can use it for the middle of the cake which works out well.

My friend made L's cake and did a wonderful job - he had a firetruck which had little buttercream rosettes for the detail.  It was a beautiful cake although I'm happy I cowed out on making it, I was struggling to make sausage rolls for the party (which no one ate as they didn't know what they were  :mad:)

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
chillidog said:
(which no one ate as they didn't know what they were :mad:)
;D Seriously?! Do they not have them there? You should have brought out your wieners ;) ^roflmao^

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
^roflmao^

I did do some of those but without the cocktail stick and they were popular.  my friend who made the cake politely pushed a sausage 'puff' as she insisted on calling it around her plate!

I also did sandwiches without the crusts (for the kids) and my friends DH laughed and pointed at them.  Probably because it wasn't a subway or something like that....!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not being a domestic goddess myself but being determined to make A and E's cakes myself I used butter icing with colouring and roughed it up a bit so it looking liked it wasn't supposed to be smooth.  Then decorated with choc buttons.

Have fun!

HJG

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your tips re. the ready rolled icing. Fantastic stuff!

Here is my effort. Frogs and crocs are in at the mo !!

Helen

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well done you. It looks great!!
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
Wow that looks fab! Well done you :-*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts