Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After visiting this site for a while I have finally decided to join in!

I have had cycle monitoring and everything seems fine with me so far.. :)  dh went for SA anaylsis last week, and we still don't really understand the results.. I was wondering if you could kindly shed some light...

vol 2.5, density 77mill, motility 52%, progression 2.5, abnormals 88%, + agglut, MAR negative, cells 2mill
preparation: density 26mill, motility 98%, progression 3.5

does this appear normal to conceive spontaneously??
is there any lifestyle changes that could improve this??

many thanks
lisa

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Hi lisa

I've not seen results like these before, with two lots of density, motility and progression figures, but I'll tell you what I know. 
The volume and density look fine for both figures given.  Motility and progression figures I don't really understand because of having two lots, but I would say 98% motility is good, and on the SA results I've seen before they take a couple of different factors such as, of the motile ones, how many are rapid, sluggish, non-motile etc.  If the rapid and sluggish lot are over 50% then that's good.  That could be what your 52% is referring to, but that's a complete guess.
I'm also wondering if the abnormals is the morphology count.  This should ideally be no more than 85% abnormal morphology, so 88% is slightly high.  I wouldn't worry too much about this at this point as this could be a one off and lifestyle changes can make a difference.  My DH has slightly low motility and morphology and the consultant has asked him to cut right back on alcohol, no hot baths or generally getting hot in that area of the body, give up smoking (if your DH smokes).  A lot of men also take zinc and selinium supplements too.
No idea about + aggult, and MAR negative, sorry.

I would still recommend talking to your GP for a better explaination to help you understand more and to explain everything in full.

Hope that has helped in some way.
Good luck
Claire
xx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks claire,

i've been looking through different books and websites to see if this is all normal, but of course you get conflicting info!!

i'm a little lost really, we haven't been trying that long compared to most people on this site, but as i work in a hospital have started preliminary testing of myself with cycle monitoring, then sent my DH off to make sure the 'basics' were okay first, now we have made some lifestyle changes and relaxing about things for a few more months and then will be going back to GP.

thanks again for your time claire

kind regards
lisa

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Lisa,

The World Health Organisation publishes standards for Semen sampling. There is also a stricter Kruger methology of measuring.  Your sample looks fine, however morphology according to WHO looks for higher than 70% 'normal' forms, Kruger is stricter and is looking for '85-90% normal forms'.  'Prepared sperm' is normally sperm that has been 'washed' and you would expect the results from this to be better than a 'raw' sample which is the case here.

Good luck
Y x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts