Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ladies,

please can you tell me what seperation anxiety actually is?
how it affects the child?
and at what age?
what long terms affects if any does it have on the child?
why does this occur if known?
how to help a child overcome this if possible?

hope you can help....

rgds
:-*

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Barbiedoll,

Some children do suffer from it to varying degrees and it's usually at about 9ish months and occurs with them becoming more aware of who you are.

My DS use to cry if I left the room, even in our house and would be totally fine once I was back.  He would also follow me around alot.  I just explained what I was doing ... and that I would be back in a few moments.  It didn't last long ... about 4 weeks and it got better over this 4 week period, as they suddenly understand that you come back!

There have been no long term problems.  Personally, I just carried on as normal during this period .. explaining along the way, as the LOs soon work it out.

Please don't stress .. it's just another developmental stage ...  ^hugme^

Bels x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Also, around 9 months your LO can get 'stranger anxiety' where they suddenly realise that they don't recognise all the faces around them. All of a sudden your happy little baby who would smile, gurgle and coo at anyone giving you so many proud mommy moments, will turn into a baby who screams the minute anyone comes near that they don't recognise!

I think all you can do is reassure as much as you can and if you say you're going to do something then do it, even at this young age.

The good news is it's all normal stages of development and shows that they are becoming aware of who's who and also their surroundings.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi, my son Daniel is 23 months old and is really bad with this. I literally can't go anywhere without him. If I try to go upstairs or even the loo, he's screaming his head off even if he can see me but can't get next to me. It's actually really starting to wear me down as I hate to see him so upset but at the same time I'd like to be able to pee in peace, it's not a lot to ask is it!

Dh and I took him and Jamie to soft play and he wouldn't even go into the play area with DH, it had to be me and if I went to sit down, he'd start crying and follow me out.

Any suggestions on what I can do would be appreciated.

Viv

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hi,

I am just getting this with my 1 year old. She cries if i just leave the room ie to get her lunch and follows me around. If i shut the door she goes mad to get in!

also, she is now starting to cry at strangers and literally cling to me. its really upsetting, but guess as Chux says means they are developing correctly and hopefully it will pass soon.

Glad its not just my LO!!

J x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts