Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my earlier query on people's interest; my plans have moved on and I am setting up an egg donation programme in Marbella, Spain.
I know the main concern was cost and I have confirmed that the cost on the Spanish side would be around £3000. On top of this would be the cost of a monitored cycle in the UK and the cost of flights and accomodation when over there, all in well under the cost of £6000 mentioned by one person.
Spainish law does not permit the paying of donors (Very much in the forefront of my mind!) though a compensation cost is levied to cover travel, loss of earnings etc. This is included in the £3000 I mentioned.The centre is very happy to treat English couples and have a success rate of 50 %. They do blastocyst transfer aswell
I would be grateful for feedback from people regarding interest. In all honesty, the more interest the more chance of it all happening and me getting a job out there to co-ordinate!!!!

Sarah

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Sarah

This sounds like a great plan... Obviously, I'm hoping that our treatment with the Madrid clinic goes well, but if it doesn't then we would certainly consider using another clinic.

From my experience, what would really help would be for you to have some links with clinics in the UK for the monitor cycle. This has been one of the areas that's been 'challenging' for us :)

Best of luck!

Susie
x

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi,
hope you don't mind me replying i've lurked on this board for a while now and it has been invaluable to me. We have just signed up to IVI Madrid (many thanks to Suzie and all her excellent info) but would be willing to sign up where ever if this cycle doesn't work.
Impi

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Sarah

Yes I would be interested if my present ivf fails. I have decided if this one does not work to go straight to donor eggs. I was contemplating IVI in Madrid due to all the good posts I have read from other ladies, but I would consider Marbella as long as its easy to get there from London.

What sort of timescale are we talking about for you setting up a clinic?

Mandy

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just a word of caution about egg donation in Spain or anywhere outside of the UK. PLEASE think about the long-term implications for your child about what you are doing. What is the story you will tell them? How are they likely to feel about having a part Spanish cultural heritage (if both parents are English or have other cultural backgrounds). What if they would like more information or to be in touch with their donor? Are there opportunities for this? Genetics are not important for the good parenting that all children need, but everyone has the right to know their genetic heritage and DI conceived adults have let us know very clearly that genetic roots DO matter. I know it is quicker to go the Spanish route, but please do not forget that a child soon becomes an adult...and adults have needs to know where they come from.
Olivia M
Mother of two DI conceived young people

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Olivia, you word of caution is understandable, but I would suggest that it should be the aim of any co-ordinator that as much info is obtained as possible from a donor and issues such as contact in the future discussed before being accepted as a donor.

Sarah

·
Registered
303 Posts
OliviaM, I totally agree with you, but the reality is that, if, you want a child you have to abroad. IMO, the law in the UK, in this area, is a mess. The laws were set 20 years ago when no one, anywhere in the, world knew what they were doing. And practically nothing has changed since then. OK maybe the rules have been toughened up and made things worse for childless couples
I have been to the USA. My eggs are no good, so I used a donor there. I was very impressed by the professionalism, the openness, the way it seemed to deliver what couples wanted, when they wanted it. It makes the UK system look like a shambles.
The other thing about all this openness is there is a stack of research available, about what works and what doesn’t. The UK doesn’t seem to have picked up on any of it. I was reading the BMA report on surrogacy dated 1996, that appears mostly to looked at UK surrogacies, perhaps 100 or so. And ignored the 1000s that had occurred in the USA. And can I say that even in 1996, the BMA was pretty damming of the UK surrogacy laws!
The problem with accessing the research now is that most of it was done in the 80’s and has practically disappeared. The stuff the HFEA is arguing about now, things like donor anonymity, were settled 15 years ago in the USA. The research had been done, best practice guidelines were availble, what actually works decided upon, etc., were not only availble, in the USA, by the early 90’s, but were enshrined in law.
IMO, an open, upfront system like the one in the USA, that treats women as adults is the best system for the children. It is also good for gamete donors, surrogates and parents. The UK treats women as children and produces poor results, for the maximum number of people.
There is no “perfect” system, but there has to a better way. I don’t think it will come in time for me or in fact for anyone on this board. But, is the state legislatures in the USA, can sit down, with all interested parties and come up with sensible sets of laws, why can’t the UK?
Lorna

·
Registered
55 Posts
I might be interested. We're just researching the DE situation in Spain (and other countries) right now.

With the state of DE in this country we really have no other option but childlessness, as adoption is a route I really don't want to take.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Olivia,
I totally agree with what you have said. The child must be considered not just our need to be parents. A child must have as much information as possible.
I do not like the lack of regulation in the US but I do like their openess about the subject.
I also admire one particular donor strategy used. I think it is called 'Auntie' where the donor and receipient plus partners meet several times, have dinner, get to know each other a little can ask questions, take photo's etc and where the child can meet the donor, some time after. Long term communication is an optional.

SqueakX

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Sarah,

I am waiting for a consult with ivi Valencia, but would be very interested in your venture.

I am a single woman, so my preference would be an open donation (sperm and eggs) but I believe this would only be possible in the US. If you had any way of at least providing more info. on the donors for a child, then I would be very interested. Is there any way of making a donation more open with your programme?

Anyway, thanks for this information and please consider me as someone very interested in your proposal.

Thanks
Daisy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in an eggdonor from Spain. I think in Marbella you would have a lot of candidates who are there through the summermonths coming from Madrid. I often go to Marbella. Could you already find somebody for me now., by advertising ? I will pay all the costs. But I would like to see pictures or meet the persons.
Thanks
Brivand

1 - 11 of 11 Posts