Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, don't really know how to use the internet let alone this site but would really appreciate some advice or encouragement. The situation is this, me and my wife have been married for nearly 1 yr but have been together 12. I have just been to my GP for a sperm count and have been told I have low motility and low morphology :mad:, my GP said my local NHS service was rubbish and recommended I go private. He told me to contact a clinc. I did, and they told me I need a referral from him. Is this correct because I thought private had nothing to do with the NHS?. Also if anyone could tell me what sort of waiting times we will be loking at, what sort of treatments and what sort of costs I would be very grateful.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
Hi Hun

Cant help with the  ^sperm^ problems but wanted to say well done on 1st post !!

You will soon get the hang of posting and using the site and I am sure someone will be able to help you !!

WELCOME !!!

Tashja xx

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Hi, can't answer your questions but would recommend that you have a look at the HFEA website (Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority) www.hfea.gov.uk as they do a good free booklet which outlines the various treatments available plus info on choosing clinics etc.  You can download the booklet from the website (although it might take a while if you don't have a broadband connection) or else you can e-mail them to ask them to post you a copy e-mail [email protected] I think all doctors should have a supply of these booklets to give out - I know it would have helped us to have a copy when we started out on the IF trail.  Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,597 Posts
Hi 5heba

Welcome to Fertility Friends  :)

When me and my dh found out we needed treatment we chose a private clinic straightaway as we have to pay for all our treatment anyway. We did have to be referred by our GP though. Your GP just needs to write a letter to the clinic with a brief history on it for the consultant. Then you will make a 1st consultation with them.

If its a private clinic they don't often have a long waiting list (ours doesn't) Costs and details can be found for each clinic on the HFEA website. www.hfea.gov.uk

Hoep this helps a little. Good luck  ;)

Rachel xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ellie.st, very grateful for your reply and advice. :)Will follow it up ASAP. You are right my GP was no way near enough clued up. After messing around on this thing (they call the internet) and doing some research. I cannot believe how much he did not know, when the subject is so important to some people. They seem to know every thing concerned with death but nothing to do with life.[br]Posted on: June 20, 2005, 08:13:37 PM
Rachel Lucy said:
Hi 5heba

Welcome to Fertility Friends :)

When me and my dh found out we needed treatment we chose a private clinic straightaway as we have to pay for all our treatment anyway. We did have to be referred by our GP though. Your GP just needs to write a letter to the clinic with a brief history on it for the consultant. Then you will make a 1st consultation with them.

If its a private clinic they don't often have a long waiting list (ours doesn't) Costs and details can be found for each clinic on the HFEA website. www.hfea.gov.uk

Hoep this helps a little. Good luck ;)

Rachel xx
[br]Posted on: June 20, 2005, 08:17:17 PMRachel Lucy, Thanks for yor help, will investigate further and keep you updated :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi 5heba and welcome to ff,

The others are right about the referal, even though you're going private, it's merely a matter of the GP confirming you have fertility issues before they'll actually treat you.

With regards your results, don't be too down about this just yet. Each SA (sperm analysis) can vary enormously, I've had counts between 1 and 10 million, morphology between 15 and 60% and v.good to v.bad motility too so don't let the GP's results weigh you down and become negative before you start. Worst case scinario, assuming your count is good (you don't mention it isn't) is that you'll be a prime candidate for ICSI (where they place and individual, hand picked, sperm into the egg to fertilize), and you'll find hundreds of success stories on these boards for ICSI patients.

As for waitng lists... really depends on your clinic, in our area it's approximately 3 months to get your first consultation, then, depending on the treatment you require, approx 2 to 3 months before your tx will start.

Best advice I can give you for now is to research the effects of diet and lifestyle on male fertility... there's loads of information available on this and you'll be amazed at just how many things we eat/do affect fertility... loads of vitamins to take, excercises to do, accupuncture, stop smoking, etc etc etc... there's literally loads to do to improve your SA before you even get to your first appointment!

Wishing you luck and speed on your fertility journey...

Catch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Catch, thanks for your reply. The responses I have had so far from people have made me feel encouraged and not so alone. It is these kind of responses that I'm sure will give me great strength and a sense of positivity throughout the coming months. Thanks for the info you have provided and the kind words of encouragement. Hope everything goes OK with yourself. It seems a bit tough at the moment because I'm just getting my head around this, but finding this site has made it a lot easier.

To all those that have responded to me, thankyou and I hope your dreams come true.

5heba

·
Registered
16 Posts
As per the others welcome ,

Also look at accupuncture some say that it can incease sperm quality by up to fifty percent, have not tried myself, but might be worth a look

hodgy

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Forgot to say in my first message that you might also like to get hold of a copy of "Natural Solutions to Infertility" by Marilyn Glenville as it has alot of useful info on diet and supplements etc to improve SA.  My DH had variable SA results on various occasions before our IVF but after following a nutritional supplement and diet programme, he was back to normal.  Don't know for certain that the supplements and diet caused the improvement but they certainly didn't do any harm and it is something you can try for yourself before or during treatment.  The board on this website on complementary therapies has alot of posts on supplements and diets as well as therapies such as acupuncture etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
hi there

wanted to say my boyfriend same as you ...we have just had ivf icsi and it worked first time...you need to go to doctor and he will refer you to hospital who im sure will take one look at your problem and say ivf icsi...then refer you to ivf centre...also please tell all doctors you been trying to concieve for at least 2 years otherwise they dont take you seriously...the waiting list is usally about 2 to 4 years...but i went private..coast about 3500...the other advise which you might scrunch your face up ...is accupuncture..my chap had accupuncture and his sperm count went from 1 mil to 23 mil...it was still clumping but they say it was most likely due to trauma ie.him falling of motorbike or similar....so even though you going to have ivf icsi it is still best for you to try and get your sperm quality good...cut down on booze cigarettes and eat well take a good mulitvitamin especially for men drinks lots water..and try accupuncture both of you...there is a brilliant book by zita west called fertility and conception...i found it a source of information..as it is a confusing time..especially you guys who tend to not want to talk too much about it...mine still now doesnt talk much...so good luck...go for it ...as far as ivf icsi it is not a problem..
love bailey pippin

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
I would back up looking at Zita West or Marylin Glenville diets and vitamin supplement regime.  It is not easy giving up caffine and alcohol though.

DH also found acupuncture a great help

Good luck

Clare

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.