Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general rant really - why are children's shoe departments generally up or down stairs, with no lift? ^bigbad^  I can't ever go on my own, and it makes the whole experience really stressful ^eyes^  Yesterday I demanded that someone come and bring a selection of shoes to us in the adult section ;D ;D

And another thing... ;D  Since when did Clarks change their policy on ordering?  They won't order shoes for you, so if they don't have the style you want - it's tough ^idiot^ 

Grrr.....

On a different note, does anyone have crocs for their LO?  Do they stay on?  Can they walk well in them?  Can you get them in a size 5?

:-* :-*

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
My clarks have have never offered to order they always just say no don't have that in that size!
Have to agree childrens departments whether it be clothes or shoes are hardly ever on the ground floor and I hate lifts!

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
My nearest clarks does have a lift but it only takes one person and a buggy at a time!
I won't go there it's like a zoo, soooo busy.  I am lucky to have a nice local independent store, where my mum bought my baby shoes  :) and now I take M there.  The advice is always so much better there too, and they run a loyalty scheme! When I've bought ten pairs of shoes or something I get a free pair - so when he's about 5 that'll come in handy!  ;D

As far as I know you can't get 'real' crocs to fit less than a size 7, but there are other cheaper versions around that I think are smaller.  Matthew doesn't have any yet (I have 3 pairs!! - godsend when pg and post-broken ankle!)  but he has friends his age who wear them and they seem to stay on.  I did wonder myself whether they would but children wear them with the straps round the back.  Depends how confident a walker Bel is - I think there is a bit of a knack to wearing them so I'd be wary of putting a child in them too early as it probably doesnt encourage good walking if they're trying to schlep round and keep them on.

Claire x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I basically want a summer shoe he can wear without socks...

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Sorry Clare just realised I was mixing up my Clares and was talking about Bel not Josh  ^idiot^

M has some really nice sandals made by Geox - not the cheapest but they come up quite big in sizes and have adjustable heel as well as width straps (velcro) so we bought them last summer and he's still wearing them now!  For a cheaper option how about jelly shoes? 
M wears doodles without socks too. gets a bit smelly but they wash in the machine!!

Claire x

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ooh, didn't realise you could machine wash Doodles!

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
yes indeedy  ;)

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
We have a lovely little shoe shoe called 'this little piggy' near us - i've never tried to go to a big one before.  They are excellent - they will order shoes in for us, and have done a few times.  M has odd feet (low ankles so shoes are difficult to find! same as me though..), so need to try several.

I need some summery shoes for her - she has some that are a bit like doodles, and some 'proper' shoes - but they are a bit heavy for the weather at the moment.

i'm also cross with nursery as they put her shoes on without socks the other day and she got two blisters on the sides of her little feet so i'm trying to keep her barefoot as much as poss at the moment, and just putting shoes on when i know we are going to be walking out and about.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
ClareMack ... KL wears Doodles with out socks and I just chuck them in the washing machine  ;)  How about Birkenstocks?  KL has a pair and they are cute and good for the foot too!

Our Clarks is zoo like, so I tend to go to John Lewis or Russell and Bromley Childrens ... more sedate pace and they seem to take their time fitting, plus they will order for you  ;)

Bels x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
Bel- has doddles she wears without socks and some sandals. At the moment she has more shoes than me! with her trainers and shoes too! have to say I use clark outlet on a weekday during the day it is empty!

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
They do do tiny Crocs - I got some for Eddie for on holiday and he's a size 5.  Had to go for Crocs Size 4/6 from memory.  No problems with them staying on and he walks in them fine.. whereas his Clarks proper shoes keep coming off.  Clarks are a pain in the bum as they never seem to have the shoes I want in the size I want for them and it's a case of like it or lump it.  Still, I keep going back..

BTW, availability of Crocs is a bit of a pain at the mo - had a nightmare trying to get some khaki ones for Benjy but the smaller ones for Eddie were more readily available so you may be lucky.

Pet x

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
OMG just googled the crocs website - they do wellies!!

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
My two have crocs (and also did last year), they have red mary-Janes and have had no problems with them at all. Lots of their little friends at pre-school also wear them (regular type mainly, with straps at the back) and I think they start in a size which fits a 21/22 (my friends twins have tiny feet!)
I also prefer independent shops - I go to one locally and they are brilliant.
xxx

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

Crocs, Doodles (or the Start Rite equivelent), Birkis and Geox here and have no problems with any of them  ;) We're just back from a weeks hols and I think H & L both wore crocs every day with no socks, trips or accidents in them  :) (and Lucas is a seriously clumsy walker and tends to just run everywhere now - he was wearing 5/6)

Clare - How far from Bristol/Bath are you? Charles Clinkard in the Mall at Cribbs is on the ground level and my personal favourite is One Small Step, One Giant Leap in Bath - that's on street level too and sell really lovely shoes  :) You can also access John Lewis at Cribbs from the car park on the upper level which takes you into the kiddies shoe section  :)

S xxxx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Clare i'm not sure where you use but have you tried Phillip Jones in Witney?  Still the same problem with them being upstairs but I do find them great for service and they do the same loyalty scheme Claire refers too.... very interesting to hear about crocs, I keep looking at them for Alex as he wears Clark's trainers all the time and i'm sure his feet must be very hot and sweaty on a warm day...

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Bev,
Never heard of them - I'll have a look.  If I go into Oxford I have to have all three children with me really, because of feeding the girls, but it would be good to find somewhere closer to home where I could just go with Josh.  I tried Clarks in Witney, but some 12 year old shop assistant measured him as a 4, which is smaller than he was four months ago ;D  So I didn't really rate them...  (He's now in 5 1/2 from Russell & Bromley in Oxford).

xx Clare

·
Registered
946 Posts
Clare - I got E a pair of 'croc type' shoes from next. £6.00!! Obviously not the 'real' thing but he loves them as they have a monkey on the sole  ;D. He wore them on holiday and was fine. E has titchy feet (and i find Next sizes slightly larger) his are a size 4!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi I bought a pair from Next £6.00 (Croc like things) and some from Sainsburys £5.00 to try before we went on holiday, I found the Sainsburys ones to be the better fit for Kieran, so took the Next ones back.  These come in really handy for around the pool as he kept falling over when he had nothing on his feet, also kept them on for when he was in the paddling pool and the sea.  Really glad we bought these now as it kept his £20.00 Clarks sandals in good condition and he wouldn't have been able to wear them in the sea and pool anyway, so £5.00 really well spent.  Straps are like elastic and stand on his feet fine.

Must admit I have a choice of 3 Clarks shops and find on my day off on a Friday, that none of them are that busy and they are all located on ground floor.  Not to say that I'm totally happy with them as I make a habbit of getting his feet measured in all of them to see if they agree and they don't always.  Kieran is now a 6 1/2 (although one still measured him as a 6), but his shoes have stretched so we might get away with him getting to a 7 before he needs a new pair.

Shazznewman

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Phillip Jones are in the Woolgate next to the sports shop which always seems to be closing and opposite the Kodak shop, the seem to do high end ladies shoes but upstairs is the childrens bit, they do Clarkes and Startright shoes.  HTH.  Bev x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts