Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies

I'm hoping for some advice.  Over the past 6 months I've had 3 failed ICSI's.  For my last attempt I was prescribed clexane, pred and baby aspririn but still didn't get pregnant.  I've now reached the point where I just want to know if it's bad luck so far or if there is something wrong.  So I think it's time to have some tests. 

I've been reading up and it looks like Gorgy is the person to see.  If I book an intial consultation with him will he advise me on which tests to have and whether it's possible to have any of them on the NHS? and if so would he help me understand my results or do I ask my GP to do that?  Also I'm so confused about what tests to have, it looks like it should be level one tests but what are those? 

I'm also wondering about changing my clinic (my 3 attempts have been with the same one - LWC) but my gut says get the tests done first then go from there.

Is anyone able to give me any advice?  With 3 failed attempts I'm getting scared about next steps so any words of wisdom would be very gratefully recieved!

Thanks so much.

xxx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I would go and see Dr G after all second opinion is a small amount of money compared to another cycle- what are lwc planning to do differently for you? What tests did lwc do to put you on clexane,aspirin and pred.

Good luck

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying JJ1.  LWC didn't do any tests for the pred, clexane etc.  I asked about tests following a review appointment and they said as the tests are so expensive it was worth going straight for the meds and seeing if they had any effect. 

I agree I'm reaching the point where I just want to know if there is something wrong with me!  I also don't want to take pred again unless I need to.  I really suffered with anxiety when I was on it, also the clexane gave me mega brusies again if I don't need it I'd rather not take it.  Obviously if the tests show I do then I'm happy to inject/take anything if it will help!

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
maybe have a look in the faq - under A for appointments and L for level 1 and 2 tests, and then skim the rest of the FAQ. its best to try to understand all the tests on offer before you go see anyone, so that you can be ready to make a decision on which ones you want.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank Agate - I had a look at your FAQs - wow!!  That is a brilliant peice of work!  Seriously you should think of publishing it!

Well I have been brave and booked an appointment with Dr G for Tuesday morning.  I'm wondering if he will suggest tests or do I go in and ask for the ones I want?  and how much the level 1 and 2 will cost.  Does anyone know if there is a Gorgy thread?  I have lots of questions!  I just want to be as prepared as possible.

I also made an appointment with my GP but that is for a while.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
yes, there is a thread for the FGA (Dr G's clinic) - its on the board, in the London section.

he will normally go through your history and suggest the tests he thinks are most important for you.  If you are finished before about 1pm, he will be able to send you straight round to TDL (a few doors up) to have the blood drawn for most of the tests.  its better if you find out if your GP will do some/all of the level 1s for you before your appt with Dr G, because you want to keep the costs down if you can - he can do the level 1 tests for you as well, but if you can get them for free at your GP, you'd save money that way.  its also best to try and get your head round the tests before you go so you can agree with him which tests you want to do - otherwise, you will either have to just go ahead with whatever he suggests, or go back another time after you've thought it through - its a lot of information to take in otherwise and a tricky decision to make on the spot if you don't already know what the main tests are.  So have a look under L and under T.  Virtually everyone will want the NK assay, the cytokine ratios and probably the inherited thrombophilia tests.  Most couples decide to have the LAD and DQa and also the infection tests for chlamydia etc.

you can always tell him that agate from FF sent you! :)  I sometimes wonder if he'd throw in a free appt for me, if he knew how much time I spent on this board and on FGA and pg with immunes threads trying(!) to help his ladies  :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help Agate! I really appreciate it.  I've found my way over to the thread.  You should strike a deal with Dr G. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts