Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Here's my story...kinda long but please bear with me.... I'm going totally NUTS ^idiot^ ^idiot^
-I got my BFP on 27/04/2008 (4 days after AF was due)
-One week later i started spotting brown, actually its very little and just stringy brown stuff and mostly in the mornings (sorry if TMI)
-Went to OB coz i was experiencing pain on my right side, so he suggested an emergency ultrasound to detect ectopic.
-Fortunately it was not Ectopic and the pain I was experiencing was from a Corpus Luteal Cyst (nothing to worry about)
-Anyway, the Sonographer just told me that becoz of the bleeding, I am experiencing a miscarriage and should consider D&C and that he also detected a "shrunken" gestational sac
-Went back to my OB and he said his main concern was if it was Ectopic and try to be positive and wait it out becoz usually at 5 weeks its very hard to see anything and sometimes these things tend to "hide"on an ultrasound.
-I dont have any cramps and feel absolutely fine, other then the spotting which has not increased, there has been no changes. My boobs are still sore and honestly I dont know what to think. Never did have any symptoms to begin with! ???
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Seaweed

^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ i didnt want to read without saying something ............. not from experience but i have read so many posts similar to yours and they have been  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ remember brown loss is old blood and I would take on board what the OB said that it is way to early to really see anything on a scan so yes if i was you i would hang on in there love  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

it must be very hard though and i am not surprised you are worrying after all the things you go through to get here  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

sending you lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Firstly congratuations on your ^BFP^ but also big hugs to you.

I am surprised at the sonographer saying what he did as very often there's not a lot to be seen at 5 weeks, even more so if it was late implanter. Plus it very much depends on the quality of the equipment and skill of the sonographer. Heck, I've read of some who have had scans at 6/6.5 weeks and not seen a heartbeat yet a week later it's all there so please don't give up just yet.

As to the bleeding, you'd be surprised how many ladies have bleeding in pregnancy but the general rule is brown blood is old blood - even then red blood isn't always 'bad' and there are ladies on here who have had a fair bit of bleeding but everything has been ok. I know I had some brown spotting around 9 weeks with my first pregnancy and phoned NHS direct in a panic only to be told that while it's not normal it is very common, even more so around the time that your period would have been due, although they don't know why.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do is sit it out. Are you booked in for another scan in a week or two?

Chux xx

·
Registered
632 Posts
Seaweed

have you had blood tests to see if your hcg levels are rising every 2-3 days? If they are it doesn't rule out ectopic pg but does suggest that it is viable and doing what it should if it is in the right place.

Good luck

Hal

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Like a few of your replies so far my gut reaction would be to wait a few days. We too had what you describe- which turned out to be implantation bleeding. I would, even though it is hard would wait a few days and do, as previously suggested check and see via bloods if your HCG is rising. I would also get a repeat scan in a week or 2 before considering a D & C. In my humble non medical opinion I wouldnt say its over by a long shot just yet. At 5 weeks so much can be missed - it would depend on when implantation occured

If you still have a 'shrunken sac' and no fetus in the sac in a few weeks then it would be reasonable to talk about a D & C.

Lotsky x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi
Thanks for all your replies.They're very encouraging. I'm currently not getting any bloods done, but I'm scheduled for a second scan two weeks from now.
We'll see what happens then......guess I'll just have to wait it out. After 4 years of trying 2 weeks wont kill me! :)
seaweed ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Just to add, with J I had a scan at 5+2 (but 5+5 by LMP dates) and apparently a sac, fetal pole and yolk could be seen but I was told I was very lucky to see that so early on so to not see much is normal at this stage.

I shall keep things crossed for you.

Chux xx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I had this very same experience with my first pregnancy and it was hell, I was scanned at 6+5 and told that there was not a viable pregnancy, the sac was very small and was empty.  I was booked in for a D&C and told i'd be scanned before the procedure just to make sure, 2w later I was scanned and there was my perfect little embryo developing nicely with a hb... I had my dates back dated by a week due to late implantation, so in answer to your question YES stay calm and positive and treat yourself as if you are pregnant.

I made a complaint about the treatment I received during my first scan as I was not given any hope whatsoever when quite clearly there was an element of positivity.

Good luck and I hope you experience the same reassurance that I did.

Bev xx

p.s. I am also experiencing spotting with this pregnancy, its been ongoing for 5 days now, nobody's concerned as its SO common. xx

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm another one like Bev, a scan at six weeks showed an 'empty' sac, given not much hope.  At seven weeks there was the heartbeat that became Marcus.

I also had spotting of red and brown blood, and a full on red bleed a couple of times.

Good luck.

Jane
xxx

·
Registered
849 Posts
i agree with everyone else here
stay  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
and treat yourself as your are pregnant!
can you not request for your cg levels to be tested
a & e will usually do the tests for you if you give them a call

best wishes
kate

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all!
Thank for all your replies, they were pretty encouraging. Unfortunately I did not make it to the 2 weeks, by Wednesday last week I started bleeding heavily and with lots of clots and the worst cramps ever!!!! (sorry if TMI)
By Thursday, I had a fever and was vomiting like crazy.....had to rush into ER and realized I was going into shock and we had to have an emergency D&C. Anyway, just to calm my nerves my OB requested for an U/S prior to the procedure and sure enough there was nothing there. :'(
Guess I'm back on the ttc boards again!!!!!

Thank you all! ^hugme^ ^hugme^
seaweed

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Seaweed i'm so incredibly sorry hun, take time for yourself and DH/DP...

Thinking of you.

Bev xx

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
^hugme^ so sorry hon

·
Registered
849 Posts
best wishes to you both share a  ^hugme^ and stay strong
sorry to hear your news
kate

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
seaweed- sounds like youve had a horrible time of it, just wanting to send you a big hug  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts