Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for a few days reading all your posts and just trying to get some more knowledge on Clomid.

I started ttc in July 00 (hoping for a honeymoon baby!), 1st pg took 20 months and ended in mc at 5 wks, 2nd pg took 2 years and ended in mc at 6wks, 3rd pg only took 2 months and also ended in mc at 5.3 weeks.  Me & dh had basic fertility tests done in between 1st and 2nd pg and all ok.  Was due a laproscopy when fell pg 2nd time. I was diagnosed with Antiphospholid Antibody Syndrome (APS) & Protein C & S deficiency in Oct 04 and I have to take 75mg asprin daily and will have to inject 20mg clexane when I get a BFP.

I had another hosp appt in July and they repeated the hormone blood tests and dh SA whilst putting me on a 6 month waiting list for a laproscopy, hcg & hysterscopy.  My cd21 progesterone test came back at 20 and I was told whilst it is within the range, only just and would I like to try Clomid??  I have an appointment on 19th Sept to discuss with the consultant.

I am currently on cd14 and will have my fingers crossed that I get a BFP before the hospital appointment!!

Any advice, shared experiences or support will be gratefully received  :)

Thank you for listening and sorry it is so long!!

Love Tracy
xx

P.S. I really need to work on how to include all the smiley's etc.....

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi tracy

welcome to ff! sorry to hear about your mc's ^Cuddle^
with regards to the 21 day progesterone results i was told by my gp that anything over 30 was ovulation and some girls on here their gp says over 40, but does depend on length of your cycle and when blood is taken.
hope you get the answers from your consultant ( or that you dont need the appointment ^afro^ )
Im sure the clomid girls can help with your questions

love
suzie xx

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Suzie  :)

I am very confused as to what levels of progesterone indicate ovualtion!!  My consultants secretary told me the range was 15-60 but I have read elsewhere that it should be over 30 or even over 40??!!

Please can anyone help with the levels??

Thanks
Love Tracy
x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi Tracey

Firstly, sorry to read you've had so many losses hun ^hugme^
It can be a little confusing & having read some other posts on these boards I think it is also dependent on how they literally measure the level...I'll try & find the posts about this & link it in. Rather than pasting all the links, here's what I was looking for from someone elses post..."For example, with the day 21 progesterone, it can be either ng/ml or nmol/l, the latter being three times bigger (10 ng/ml = 31.8 nmol/l)."

We were told that to indicate nice strong ovulation then progesterone level needs to be over 30 (some women told over 40 but I believe this is a newer guideline). Progesterone is triggered from the corpus luteum once the follicle has released an egg & progesterone is needed to sustain a pregnancy as it is what helps thicken the womb lining for implantation & if pregnant will remain high. Although 20 is within "the range" of ovulation, it is probably "borderline". Also, the range goes higher than 60....the last progesterone test I had done before Clomid was 61, the one I had done on my first month on Clomid was 103...

Progesterone blood test needs to be taken 7dpo (days past ovulation) eg if have 28 day cycle then have CD21 prog bt. If you have a 35 day cycle you'd have the test taken CD28, if you have a 24 day cycle then test would be done CD17. Even a few days out can alter the results by quite a bit.

I too take baby aspirin as I have "sticky blood" (blood clotting disorder) which contributed to the 2 early mc's I had this year. I actually ovulate naturally but take Clomid to boost things ie more eggs, more chance. If you've managed to conceive, although sadly you've suffered recurrent mc's, then you must be ovulating or at least ovulating irregularly. I would ask for proper clarification of your progesterone level result from your consultant & request another one for the next month. Also, if you're happy to take Clomid then why not try it...it may help to increase eggs released (it's caused me to release 2 every month so far - currently in 2ww of 3rd cycle) & also stronger, more mature eggs which is what's needed ^afro^

Not sure if I've helped ???
Wishing you loads of luck ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Natasha, that is really helpful :)

I sometimes have a 30 day cycle so that might be why the level was a little lower. I think I will give clomid a try as I think it will help me to feel like I am doing something, if that makes sense!! I have tried reflexology and try to eat healthy and limit the drink, not always successfully!!

I hope you don't mind me asking about your "sticky blood" but will you be on clexane or heparin when pg or just the asprin??

Thats great that clomid seems to be working for you and I will have my fingers crossed that you get a BFP this month.

Take care
Love Tracy

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hello again

Consultant has told me that I'll need to continue with the baby aspirin once I'm pregnant although he did mention heparin too...so not sure if I'll need that ??? I tried reflexology a few times but couldn't make all the appts...however, I do have acupuncture & actually had another session this afternoon. It seems to really be helping & he (acupuncturist) actually told me today that after only 3 sessions I'm responding excellently so fingers crossed ! I've been having monitoring scans whilst on Clomid & first month my womb lining was 8mm on CD12, then following month after results of blood tests indicated sticky blood & me taking baby aspirin, my womb was 9mm on CD10...this month I had scan earlier than usual (consultant going on hols) so had it on CD8...and womb was already 10mm...after baby aspirin & acu...so somethings working & nourishing my womb nicely !!!!! ^afro^

I too try to eat healthily (lots of organic including meat - only eat beef & chicken anyway - and dairy), I do drink (& occasionally smoke :-[ ) but again, like you, try to only in moderation...I also did lots of yoga but have been a bit naughty recently & not done any...although must dust off my mat & start again ::)

Anyway, I wish you loads of luck... ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Take care
Natasha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.