Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just looking some advice.... My husband and I attended GCRM in July for IVF using DS, to our absolute delight we are now pregnant!! We cant wait to meet our little miracle due at the start of April next year! :)

Our dilema at the min is whether to reserve DS for a sibling in the future.  I think we are better to do this just incase we wish to try again for a little brother or sister for this one.  However my husband feels he is nowhere near making that decision...whether or not we will have another one.

But I feel we are better to have just in case as opposed to not having and regretting later.  The Donor's supply we used previously is going quite quickly and I think we need to make a decision.

Can anyone advise if they were ever in a similar situation???

Many thanks

Alabama

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
If you have the money definitely reserve some!

I have one frozen embryo that I am about to try with, but I was really scared that there would not be any of my donor left 2 years on. I started treatment with that donor in July 2009 and got really excellent fertilisation rates and got pregnant twice, although I lost the first one. Luckily there is some sperm left, but there was less than 20 vials left. It only takes 3 people to reserve 6 vials each and then there is none left. My donor has reached his 10 family limit, so it would only be others wanting siblings. I am not sure if he is still donating as they don't need it for fresh cycles.

My little boy is so adorable that I want another one just as besutiful and delightful. I would have been absolutely gutted if there was no full sibling options left. I have the frozen embryo and 3 vials of sperm. I am already 41, so not much time left and I think I might think twice before doing 1 FET and 1 more IVF, but at least there is some sperm there if I am not ready to give up.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Definitely reserve some. Even if you decide later that you don't want another baby, I think there is always the option to sell the sperm on.

We have a beautiful little boy conceived with donor sperm and I want more than anything to give him a baby one day. Fortunately we have another 3 vials of sperm from the same donor in storage at our clinic. Ours is a Xytex donor and no longer actively donating, but I feel so strongly that I want another baby that I would even consider using a different donor if we had to. But it is much simpler and psychologically easier to go with the same donor.

Congratulations on your pregnancy - enjoy it, such a special time ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Premium Member
6,153 Posts
You can only sell on if he has not reached the 10 family limit or someone else wants some sibling sperm that has not already reserved some.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Yeah that's what I thought :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts