Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have a query, I wonder whether I could get your thoughts and experiences...

We have reserved donor sperm from our clinic for IUI/IVF. They said that they will order sibling donor sperm after a successful scan but can't promise that they will have any left. This is a big concern for us as it is very important for us that we have the same donor for any future siblings. We are paying £500 for the sperm and just get 1 'shot'.

When I went to a different clinic last summer they said they would reserve 8-10 vials for us from the start...

The only thing is I really want to stay with the clinic we are at currently as they have been very good so far but I am worried. They said they had plenty of sperm left for this donor and he is CMV + which I am as well so I am hoping that will ensure that he won't have as many recipients and will take longer to run out!

What do other clinics do? It would be great to hear your experiences.

Many thanks
Bobbyx

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Hi Bobby,

I was able to secure a number of additional straws of donor sperm for siblings once my first child was born and had my second child (using the same donor sperm) last year.  :)

Just a cautionary tale of "banking" sperm before getting pregnant - a friend on the singles board bought several straws of donor sperm, with which she had a number of unsuccessful cycles of tx (IUI and IVF / ICSI).  It subsequently turned out that in the three years since this sperm had become available and doubtless used by many women TTC, no offspring had been born.  Once she changed the donor, she fell pregnant immediately on a natural cycle of IUI.  It might therefore be a very good idea to wait until you have a confirmed pregnancy before investing additional money.

Good luck!

A-Mx

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Some donor banks like the european sperm bank allow you to buy a pregnancy slot, which guarantees you that donor for siblings, and if you don't get pg with that donor you can sell the slot back to them which helps a lot. We bought 8 vials of our chosen donor upfront before our first cycle using him, but we were under pressure from teh HFEA and had a limited time. I agree that overall once you get pg, ensuring you have enough for sibilings at that point is the most important thing.

Good luck with your tx!
love
C :-*

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies, I completely agree that you should purchase (non-refundable) additional sperm only once you know you can get pregnant with it, I just have a fear that I will get pregnant and then they will have run out. I got an email back from my clinic to say I can purchase additional vials at £200 each which is better than I thought, I was also concerned it would be £500 each as the first lot is that amount.

I thought about going to an external sperm bank but it looks complicated ( ^idiot^) and I'm trying to make the tx process as complication- free as possible! (save my energies for the complications that arise that are out of my control!).

Thanks again xx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts