Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been discussing that C word on my birth board.... C O N T R A C E P T I O N.....

It just seems so against the grain after years of ttc and finally getting dd after 4 tx!  Part of me thinks if it happens then thats just great (mind you dd is only 3.5m so maybe not yet huh?!)

I keep hearing people mention people who have got pg naturally soon after having their IVF/ICSI miracles....If you did and dont mind telling us...what was your fertility issue - as I am sure this would make a difference as to the likelihood of falling naturally..

so just how many of you are out there????!!!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Hi

I'll be the first to tell my story.  Our IF was Male Factor, low count, low motility.  All my tests were normal.  After having Thomas we thought that there was no need for contraception as a natural pg was very unlikely and if it did happen then that would be a lovely surprise.  Thomas was 4 months old when we got that lovely surprise he he.!! 

I do believe that although all my tests were normal, I think the pg kickstarted my body and showed it what to do if that makes sense.

Hope this helps

xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
We were ttc for 7 years before fluking a BFP with J. I have PCOS and a 'hostile environment' ;D and the doctor had basically told me that the chances of me conceiving without IUI were next to nothing. I did go back on metformin when J was 4 months as we wanted to have more children and were worried it could take another 7 years, but 3 months later we got another BFP. This time it has taken a year and I was taking metformin for 8 months of that.

I was like you and the thought of using contraception just seemed bizarre to me but then I knew I wanted more and would be happy with a small age gap. I think you need to bear in mind it could happen (obviously unless it really is impossible and you have no tubes etc) then if you have any doubts about having another so soon then use contraception.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I have PCOS and after 3 yrs TTC I feel pregnant with DD.  Went on the pill for a bit but once I came off and activaly started trying 1st month BFP! was in total and utter shock, so guess with out going on the Pill i could have fallen quicker. As some has said once you have been pregnant it seems your body knows what it needs to do better.

Another one is my parents next door neighbour who I'm friends with.  She also has PCOS and Endo 3rd IVF got her 1st DD she then fell very quicky pregnant with no2 and there is 11 months between her 2

·
Premium Member
3,865 Posts
Hiya ^wave^

We had/have?  MF issues; DH's last SA before tx showed about 400 thousand, mostly with poor motility.  Prior to tx we had both got super healthy, given up alcohol, smoking etc etc.  Anyway, we had ICSI twins on our first go then fell naturally pregnant with our twin girls seven months later.

Like you, I felt it was almost 'wrong' to use contraception when our chances of conceiving were so low.  Needless to say I'll be taking more precautions from now on!

Best of luck, whatever you decide :)

xx Clare

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hi,

We were trying for 3 years before our little IVF miracle came along.  I then became pregnant again naturally soon after stopping breastfeeding.  Although we were officially in the 'unexplained infertility' category, I suffered with endometriosis for years and prior to our successful IVF cycle I had to have lots of endo lasered off, plus one of my ovaries was stuck to my bowel and I had cysts on the other.  We too, laughed when my gp asked what contraception we would be using after B was born but little did we know eh..

Hope this helps.
Pet x

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Hiya

I will add my little bit  ;D my suprise number four is due anytime soon and my IVF twins will be one on the 21st of this month.

We ttc for over 2 years with our 1st,we were just starting to go for tests when we fell pregnant.After much trying for number 2 we discovered that we had both got problems.My tubes are very badly damaged and dh had poor morphology. We had 3 months of clomid,2 unsuccesfull IUI's and 2 IVF's and then finally we got a twin BFP!!

I felt exactly the same as all you other lovlies regarding contraception,whats the point,esp having been told I will NEVER conceive naturally by a supposed proffesional. So life went on and when Harry and Lilly were nearly 3 months we had our suprise bfp.

My hubby is now on the list for a vascetomy which seems surreal,never thought I would say it but I dont want anymore.

Kelly x

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I have/had severe endo, mild pcos, my DH had/ has 'slow' swimmers - I was told to have a hysterectomy years ago as I would never concieve and the pain I experienced with endo hospitalised me many times - I refused and decided to ttc immediately, we had a super healthy diet, cut out all alcohol and got lucky with clomid.  I started having regular accupuncture to sort out my cycles and help with the associated endo pain, six sessions in and i'm expecting no.2...

If having another baby is a big problem for you NOW, then use contraception until it is hte righ time.... whilst unplanned we're are over the moon although the financials are a different matter  :)

Good luck with your decision.

Bev xx

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
We were ttc for well over ten years ... probably more like 15.  Always had the attitude if it happens, it happens - if it doesn't there is always next month.

Eventually we sought help and you guessed it, we were "unexplained".

Anyway, 3 treatment cycles later our miracle F arrived.
I was a poor responder (very poor) and our first cycle of IVF was converted to IUI because I only had one follie.
On our second I only got three ... got three embies too though.
At that point our consultant told us to give up and said that the only way I would ever get pg would be to use donor eggs.
I disagreed and we went for it, big style, one more time.
Still only 3 good follies but again with 3 embies ... F stayed put!  ;D

Eight months later, on my neices 6th birthday, OMFG I am pregnant!  ;D  Never in a million years did I think that could happen!  ;D
E arrived 16 months after F and our family is complete  ;D

I now have the mirena coil fitted.  And, even though our family is complete, it feels very very weird knowing that we are now actively trying not to get pregnant.  We spent so so long trying to get pregnant.  ???

One other thing ... whilst having the munchkins so close together has been very hard work - two babies but with such different needs (I sometimes think twins would have been easier  ;D) - now they are a little older it is becoming more and more fabulous and their bond/relationship is so so special.  :)

Whatever you decide, I wish you love and happiness

Dee
xxx

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Dee said:
One other thing ... whilst having the munchkins so close together has been very hard work - two babies but with such different needs (I sometimes think twins would have been easier ;D) - now they are a little older it is becoming more and more fabulous and their bond/relationship is so so special. :)
With the 13 months between my two I agree totally that it is/has been hard work but they get closer to each other every day and I already believe that they are best friends and am sure they are going to be very close as they grow up

xx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
We were TTC 4 years, I knew I had possible problems with my tubes after PID in my 20s, I do have one scarred tube but it's open.  I was officially unexplained until my first IVF tx when I got 10 eggs, only one of which fertilised  :(  - the dx then changed to 'dodgy eggs' - hard shells as far as we could tell, nothing wrong with their ability to attract sperm etc, they just couldnt break through  ^eyes^  I am also convinced I had issues with my womb lining (very painful, clotty periods and was checked out for endo but never diagnosed with it) and I believe strongly that acupuncture helped me out with this - my periods improved considerably and I then conceived on 3rd cycle of ICSI.  

I too scoffed at the contraception chat post-birth  ::)

For a number of reasons we were not going to have any more children, and despite my belief that conception without assistance was nigh-on impossible, we were using condoms most of the time.  It felt very wierd using contraception but as we were not going to do any more tx, I couldn't bear the monthly am I/aren't I misery, so condoms stopped any thought that I could be.   I was actually really struggling with the thought that I would not have another baby  :( but was just beginning to get my head around it, when DP chose to take a couple of 'risks' that he did not think for one minute were actual risks - and look where it got us  :)

One theory as to why - my cycles had changed, well shortened several months previously, and I was having symptoms that I was starting to think were pre-menopausal, apparently it is quite common to conceive just at the onset of the menopause, and this happened to several friends of my mother - some who had previously not been able to conceive.   The other non-scientific theory is that having my first baby did give me and my womb a good old clear out, but I can't account for how my egg fertilised this time, also I appear to have ovulated either spontaneously or very late in my cycle, DP was convinced he was 'safe' !!

Surprised doesn't even come close!  But v v v chuffed  :)  Still in shock though  ;D

Claire x

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
I was another that laughed when the midwives and Docs asked what Contraception we would be using after I delivered my DD  ;D

I have stage 4 severe endo, ovaries stuck behind uterus (not so sure now  ;D ) given a 5% chance of natural BFP, TTC for 4 years + had IVF to get DD.  Not actively trying till DD reached 18 months (avoiding the middle of the month just in case  ;) ) first time using OPK's in prep for our then upcoming FET cycle, DH home from Iraq when I had the positive OPK   ;) (didn't get as far as the FET) and the rest is history, little man fast asleep in his cot.

Bev, Congrats hun I'm really pleased for you

Shelley xx

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Ok we were trying for 11 years before I was properally diagnoised with PCOS, it had always been dismissed as the one thing I don't have is any cycsts on my ovaries.
One cycle of progesterone and clomid and I was pregnant with our daughter.

I have to admit that A has been a great contraception control as she is still in our room, and it does control the feelings some what  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
So roll on 14months later and we finally get around to  ^BMS^ not taking any precautions as I was on D38ish of my latest cycle, the two previous ones being about 35days long. And it hadn't been needed for the previous 11 years.
And then we get to the week before last and I had an appointment with my endocrine consultant for my yearly thyroid check. He's quite pleased with the way things are going, I have lost some weight, but he wants to recommend I go onto metformin, with a dose of progesterone to "have a clear out first". Then we suddenly ran into problems with b/feeding A, she would suddenly stop feeding and demand water. I posted about this on another forum I chat on, and they suggested it could be either that my period was due or I was pregnant.
I had a chat with DH and we decided I should test just to make sure so on D69 of my cycle I got a BFP!!!!!!,
we think my due date is Christmas Day.

We did want another child, but the timing is a little off, mainly finacial - Dh is currently out of work, but we will take it all in our stride.
And we will be looking into some contraception after this little miracle, because unless we win big on the lottery we aren't planning on having any more  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So for 11 years trying regularly = nothing then  ^BMS^ twice in two years (yes I admit it...) =BFP

Toni

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I managed to get pregnant naturally in November last year after 12 years at least of no contraception and trying naturally between bouts of IVF and FETs etc and the 2 babies. Miscarried unfortunately but as we are "unexplained" other than some mild endo and PCO (but no S) I suppose (hope) it could happen again.

Betty

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
hi girls i can join you now  :eek:

we were trying for 4 years 2 cycled ivf and 2 FET before dd came along  :) i have endo and blocked tubes we decided last month

to just try naturally untill we could save the money for a new cycle later in the year  ::) little did i know it would work

we only did the deed once too  ;D as i was soooooo knackered  :-\ but i used to love reading stories like this  :) never in a

million years did i think it would happen to me  :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi all,
I'm joining you too. Ttc for 7 years, premature ovarian ageing. After trying at the right time each month for years and years and years and then 4 IVF's with poor response, finally had DD.
Laughed hysterically when gp suggested contraception. What for?????
Then, when she was 6 months old I gave up breastfeeding, got my first period, did the deed for the first time since DD's birth (!, yes I admit it, was tooooo tired) and bingo, pg. DS 7 months old now.

xxx
Han

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
quite a few of you then.... ;D

Fudgy...I know you....blimey hon you werent that far ahead of me your previous pgy.....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
i know ebw how mad is it  :eek: ive just sold all my baby stuff on ebay too  ;D

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maybe I should rethink about keeping hold of mine then..... ;D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
unexplained trying fro 5 years, luckily successful on 1st IVF. Stopped breastfeeding in Dec 2007 (when J & Z were 15 months) and discovered we were pregnant at the beginning of Feb this year. Twins will be 2 yrs and 1 month when the new one arrives...and it's just the one!

delighted and totally shocked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts