Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^hello^ ^wave^

My sisters friend has decided she cant be a mum anymore her children are

16months & 2months old she has asked us if we will adopt them (foster leading 2 adoption)

My sister was leagal guardian of eldest until she had her 2nd but now my sister

has her own children & was only doing it short term. her friend has said if we don't want 2 adopt

them she will understand but would prefer us to as says she knows

they will be well looked after. If we decided we couldn't do it she is

giving them over 2 SS for adoption.

Had a VERY LONG talk with DH. Think we have decide to go along with this,

after r long chat decided if we past this chance & wait a while to go through

adoption we would end up kicking ourselves with the age factor as both children

r still very young. We started looking at adoption 2yrs ago but never went past

enquiry stage. Am now waiting to hear from SW to find out next step.

Please can you give us any advice as to how this would work? ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

A very confused Tammy & Kirk

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi Tammy and Kirk

You need to be very careful since privately arranging an adoption is a criminal offence, and even a private foster arrangement needs authorisation from social services if you are not a relative.  You would need to be cleared by social services for either fostering or adoption and, to adopt, approved as prospective adopters, with all that entails.  I suggest you talk to social services as a first step, and don't do anything at all as regards taking care of the children before you have been cleared by them and/ or sorted out the legalities properly. 

Also on a less legalistic basis I'd urge caution - it sounds like a difficult and complicated situation and while I completely understand your desire to grasp an opportunity for a family, do think very carefully if this is the right solution for you.  Would your sister still be friends with this lady and, if so, would that give her a continued presence in the children's lives which would make the situation very different from a 'normal' adoption?  How would you deal with that?

If you would like me to look into the exact legal rules for fostering/ adoption and work out if there is a way of achieving what you want without breaking the law, do get in touch.

Best wishes

Natalie
[email protected]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^hello^ ^wave^

would really be greatful if you could look in to legal side of things plz we are waiting

hear from SS at min. Want it all done properly. Sisters friend will not be around as her

partner is in army so she will b moving abroad soon.

Thank you for the help

Tammy

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi Tammy

If you email me direct at work with your contact details, we can set up an appointment and get things started.

Best wishes.

Natalie

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^hello^ ^wave^

Were would i find your email addy or could you send it me

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts