Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ther eladies.

I know that this is the perenial arguement as to whether to have the twins sleep in the same cot or separately but I would love to hear some of your views.

Having just moved we can now finally look for furniture for the nursery and the decision hit home. We had thought of getting a cot where they could lay one each end. But then I thought well better to buy 2 cots anyway and make the choice later. Any advice on cots would be muchly appreciated

Also we are going with the mountain buggy urban but need to decide if we go for 2 carrycots or the big one that is for twins. If anyone can help out.

Last but not least what else do I have to buy for the babies? How did you find out what was needed? Bit hard being in a country where I know no-one.

Sorry for all the questions
Love
Megan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Megan,

Glad the move went ok.  How was first class???  I hope you were suitably pampered!

You're right that this is the age old question with twins - together or apart..  Everyone will have their own take on this so here's what we did.

First two weeks - separate moses baskets in our room (once Grace got home from scbu) - I found having the babies in our room very distracting and heard every mutter, breath and movement and it was definately not for us!  We then put the babies into the nursery actually in their moses baskets, but in their seperate cots if you know what I mean.

When the twins were about a month old we bought a cot divider and had them together in one cot.  I liked this and they didn't look as lost as if we had put them in a big cot.  When they were about 2 months old they went into their own cots and I sold the cot divider on ebay!!  ;)  Ours are still in the same room but to be honest as soon as we're in a position to give them a room each we will as unfortunately they do start to disturb each other as they get bigger.  Especially when Geroge starts with "dadadadadada" at 5am as he did this morning  :mad: :mad:

So that's what we did.  Hope that helps a bit.

Love,

Katie xx

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
Hi Megan,
We have the Mountain Buggy with 1 carrycot and I'm still using it allt he time, I think it's great. A few people commented on the twins jiggling around and smacking each other, but I think they like the jiggling - they always go off to sleep! I saw someone with the 2 carrycots, but they had less room in them (still looked lovely and comfy though!)
My 2 still sleep 1 each end of the same cot, but they aren't too noisy, so are still in our room. We have another cot which is in their room, currently only used for plonking one whilst changing the other!
As for the shopping list, IM me your no., and I'll give you a call. My sister did mine for me (she has 3 kids and it was great), I can pass it on to you.
Jane
xx

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi Meg
Our twins slept side by side in 1 cot for the first couple of months, then sideways on for another month and they were absolutely fine.  They didn't disturb each other at all - never have, but then I guess it depends on the twins.  Now they are too long to lie sideways in the cot, we have just bought another cot the same and they are in 1 each.  We decided to do that all along but just bought 1 cot at a time cos we don't have much storage space. 

Also, if their room were bigger, we'd have got 2 cot beds - that way, they could share for much longer and then when they are in their own, the beds would last much longer.

Anyway, I guess its just what suits you and your babies best.

As for what to buy, as long as you've got somewhere for them to sleep, car seats, some bedding and some clothes, the rest you can get as you need it.  Keep it fairly simple, as long as you know where you can get stuff at short notice - suss out your local shops/ shopping centres.  Once our twins were born, we found it worked out easiest for dh to pop out and get what we needed (he probably welcomed the peace too!).  I remember stocking up on all sorts of stuff like vaseline and muslins beforehand and having absolutely no idea what they were for.  But now I have experience of dribbly babies, I realise you can never have too many muslins! 

Hope this helps a bit!
xxx Kirsty

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Although I bought two cots, my twins slept side by side for the first couple of months. Lots of hand holding and snuggling up.  I thought this was such a lovely bonding experience for them. When they got a bit bigger they slept end to end but not for long before I moved them into separate cots which face each other.  I never used moses baskets because downstairs I would put them in the Mountain Buggy's single carrycot which they seemed to love to snooze in.

As for what to buy, it's a tricky one. I bought way too much for the first three months cos I got so many gifts from friends and family so I think I would keep it to a minimum in terms of clothes. Apart from the basics, I would buy things as you discover you need them and/or tested them. For instance, I bought something like 10 milk bottles but switched loads in the first few months trying to reduce the girls' wind so this was quite wasteful. I finally settled on the NUK bottles which are fantastic. I also bought two sterilisers - a steam steriliser for the bottles and a Milton bucket steriliser for things like dummies and tongs etc. This worked really well for me. Also, I agree with Kirsty - you can never have to many muslins - I had about 20 and still managed to run out from time to time.

Good luck.
Flakey x

·
Registered
937 Posts
We were lucky to be given two cots by my brother-in-law, who also has twins. And we needed them: Daniel and Charlotte couldn't settle together in the same cot in hospital so they went straight into separate cots when we got home. They did look much too tiny but they soon grew into them!

As for what you need, I'd say don't buy too much. We did OK (again we were given loads of stuff like sterilisers and clothes) with not buying much and the only thing we got too much of was bedding. I found two play gyms invaluable because they played and slept under those in the early days. We then bought two bouncy chairs as well. But other than that we just bought a few clothes - they lived in sleepsuits for the first month - and a few bottles ... and of course lots of muslins, as the others say.

All the best.

Jules

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Aussiemeg,

Great to hear from you, hope things are going well out there and you are settling in!  We have gone for the Mountain Urban too, although I obviously can't speak from experience as we haven't had the twins yet, we decided to go for two separate carrycots on it.  I was going for the twin one to start with but my Mum advised getting the two singles.  She said when me and my brother (twins) were in a joint pram we thrashed around quite a lot and didn't settle easily, so to avoid this we have gone with the separate ones.  They look so snug, we are thinking we could use them as sort of day time moses basket/ travel cots for a while if needed. The other point for us was that our doorways are all very narrow and the singles will fit through easily, but wasn't sure how easy it would be to carry the twin one through, particularly when the twins get heavier! But then I'm a bit on the small side myself and not that strong in the arm department!

We are planning on having them sleep together too at the beginning in one cot, mostly based on the advice of everyone on this website  :)

Obviously, as we haven't started yet though, who knows? Until they arrive we probably wont know what to do for the best!!  I'm sure there are pros and cons for every combination!

Good luck,

Love Fone xx  ^daisy^

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hi Meg - I hope you are settling in ok over there!!

Abbie and Megan slept together in their mountain buggy double carrycot for the first 2 months or so. They didn't really disturb each other and even when one was awake and thrashing around a bit the other one would stay asleep!! (amazing really!!) I kind of accidentally moved them into the nursery at about 10 weeks cos I would put them in there after their 6.30pm feed and then move them into our room in the carrycot after their next feed but one night they slept through til about 3.30am and I decided to leave them in their cot. They shared a cot til they were 3 months old. Firstly I put them side by side and then I moved them so they had one end each with their heads in the middle if you see what i mean? But they have their own cots now and love it. They are on either side of the room and they love looking across at each other and gurgling away!! so cute!! We bought cot beds so hopefully they will last til the girls are about 4/5 I guess?! We are planning to keep the girls in the same room until they are quite a bit older (unless they really don't get on which I hope isn't the case!!)

I really liked the double carrycot for the urban mountain buggy but the single ones are probably good for when they get a bit bigger and like Fone says probably easier to move around the house.

As for what to buy... obviously get all the essentials that everyone has listed but don't worry too much about getting clothes as you will get tons for pressies!! I agree with Kirsty and Flakey - you can never have enough muslins!! I am always running out and I also have about 20!
There are loads of baby websites that give you essential lists for what to buy. Don't forget about yourself and treat yourself to a few nice things to take into hospital like new pj's and some nice shampoo etc.

love nicx

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Hi Megan,

Great to hear from you, hope you are enjoying your pregnancy  :)

We borrowed two moses baskets for our two for the first few months. They dont use them much now although we have kept them in our bedroom as sometimes one (or both!) of the boys will wake in the night and wont settle so we put them in their moses baskets until they are asleep then put them back in their cot.

We bought 1 cot to begin with as a friend of mine is giving me hers once she moves in september when her yougest will be going into bunk beds with his brother. I was worried they would need seperate cots before then but they still look lost in one cot! It is a cotbed, and i reckon they will be able to share it for at least 6 months. They sleep side by side width ways of the cot, and dont disturb each other at all. Kayden is quite a fidget and constantly has his fingers in Jakes eyes  ::) but Jake doesnt seem bothered in the slightest and never wakes up.

I totally agree about the muslins (unless you want to get through a pack of baby wipes each feed!!) We were given two of everything and my advice is where you can, just buy one of everything. There is no way our lounge is big enough for two of everything. They are quite happy to lay on their playmat together, or one has the play mat while the other has a bouncy chair. If you have just brought the car seats in, left a changing mat out and have them in their chairs your lounge tends to look like an obstacle course!

If you bottle feed i would buy enough bottles so you can make up 24 hours worth so that you arent constantly making up feeds. I do all of mine first thing in the morning and put them all in the fridge. They have 7 bottles each.

As the others have said, dont buy too many clothes, alot of mine are still in their packets  ::)

Right, i have rambled on enough!

L xx

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi ya Megan...
Glad the move went well for you..... you brave woman...stressssssssss
God i am three months and can not get away from what to get as i help run a baby shop. Mad i am so happy and confident giving expecting mum,s advice but my minds a boggle in what i will choose. I think in another month i will start to put bits away as i don't want to be doing it at the end when i am the size of a elephant. I was thinking of a travel cot with bassinet to put down stairs as i will not be getting a carrycot or mosses baskets.I think that would be great to put the baby's asleep and also as a play area when they start to sit up. I also think the sharing one cot in the beginning a good idea too. The buggy thing is hard... i always have customers come back in a few month saying the pushchair is too heavy and want a lighter one (does feel differant when there is a baby inside getting heavier and heavier lol) so i am thinking 'light' (twin aria) not much room when they get bigger but great for car. It was that or the twin nipper (out n about) but i am more car person than walkling..... anyway i have ages to sort it all out. Can anyone tell me how they get on with the weight of the mountain buggy as the carrycot bit sounds good....thanks
Sorry to rabble on Megan ...story of my life... ;D well i have my scan today...'gulp' excited but scared!!

anyways you take care Mrs and catch you later
love Jelly xxx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.