Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

I wonder if you can offer me any advice, my gorgeous little man is 13 and a half weeks old and unfortunately his weight gain is not the greatest.

He was small born at term 5lb 15oz and never lost in the first week and has always put on weight but last week at 13 weeks he was only 10lbs 4oz, he's not dropped 2 centiles YET but it seems to be going that way.

He's only ever had the boob and my supply seems good, it always drips when I take him off to wind him! On the advice of the HV from the baby feeding cafe I'm letting him sleep at night from about 8:30 9 till 5 when I wake him and then I feed him 3 hourly during the day, but since I've been doing the 3 hourly during the day he seems very fussy at the breast. If I let him sleep he will go 3 and a half to 4 hourly and then take a good feed, but the weight gain is not what they want it to be!

He is a happy little boy and developing fine, but he's never had a bottle (well we've tried twice in the past week (with EBM) but he just will not take it (DH is a neonatal nurse so he knows how to get even the most stubborn baby to feed - yet no luck with our little man) So I know they are going to push us to top up, but how am I meant to do it? Inthe early days he took a few cup feeds from DH when I was exhausted, but he's refusing even that now, he just wants the booby!!

I feel like I'm failing him with his poor weight gain, any advice. We've done the days in bed, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on his weight! I'm at my wits end?!?

Thanks for reading, I just want the best for him  :'(
Sxxx

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
E too was tiny at birth - 5lb 13.5oz. I will admit that his weight gain has been really good and he feeds probably about the same as your lo. The only difference is that E has had a bottle of aptamil every night since birth almost. Now, I'm not saying for you to do that by any means. Only if you want to. But, I found that E would only drink aptamil formula and only from Nuby bottles. I think they are fairly new as I don't remember seeing them when I had C. They are similar to the tommy tippee closer to nature in that they are boob shaped teat which flexes and stretches like a nipple. A friend of mine struggled to get her lo to take a bottle until she tried these ones.

In fact, I found that Es latch improved no end using them too. Maybe a complete fluke but hey! Just wanted to suggest them if you decide to try bottles again.

Big hugs Hun and you are doing a fab job xxxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Do you want to top up? Is your LO unsettled and seeming like he's hungry?

Personally I think that if he's sleeping 8/9pm-5am, is gaining weight and is generally happy, then he's getting all he needs/wants. Has he actually lost weight or just gained slowly? Will he take more feeds during the day if offered or do you wait for him to 'ask'?

Not all babies gain the textbook amount of weight and my HV told me so long as they are gaining that is the main thing. My ds1 dropped more than two centiles and got referred (standard procedure) but his was due to reflux and me not having the right info/help to BF.

If you don't want to top up and your instincts tell you that your LO is getting enough then don't let them push you into it. However, if you are happy to mix feed then I would do something like Kitten does. With ds1 I topped up each feed with a couple of oz's of formula and it was the quickest route to stopping BF'ing, so with dd I chose one feed to give at formula roughly the same time every day and this worked so much better and I mix fed for a good few months.

Maybe try offering more feeds during the day and see if he'll take them? How is your diet btw? Are you eating enough to produce 'gold top' milk rather than semi skimmed?!

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Hun

didn't want to read and run

sounds like you know your baby very well and you have done a fantastic job feeding him exc, its hard work ;) and my thought are the same as Chux, that if your lo is still gaining weight but gaining slowly then i dont see there is a problem esp if he is content between feeds? also you are very lucky if he sleeps from 8.30pm-5am ish so id enjoy it ;0)

could you do a dream feed when you go to bed? maybe itd get him to take a little more?

how often are you getting him weighed? as long as he's gaining within a 4 week period id tell them you're happy, you dont have to do anything you dont want to do

hope that helps and i know many babies, forumla and breastfed who has not followed the charts but are happy babies

love
Suze xx

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you ladies, I knew I'd get some common sense from here! You tend to lose focus when you are out there being bombarded! He feeds every 2.5 to 3hourly in the day and cluster feeds from 5ish till 8ish of a night I then wake him at 5 but yes I think he's developing well and he's never lost weight! If they keep on then I'll do as kitten/chux suggest and find a way to give him a bottle of formula of an evening (although taking bottles is easier said than done, we have the tommy tippee but will get the one you suggested kitten). Thanks ladies, you have given me the courage to stick to my guns for now!

Unfortunately everytime we've tried the dream feed Isaac just will not take it, he has a suck or two then just keeps his mouth closed and will not feed! (stubborn like his daddy) I cannot believe how wilful a 3 month old can be xxx

Hugs  ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you go down the mix feed route then I can recommend the Breastflow bottles which I tried when I gave Kara EBM. Kara also only wanted boob, and refused most bottles, but I did have more success with that bottle. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks tracey, funnily enough my husband mentioned theses last night one of the babies at his work had been using them! Will have to get some just in case, I've also just got a doidy cup incase I can get him to take it that way xxx

Thanks again ladies xxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Personally I would be reluctant to introduce formula as it sounds like you are doing fantastic - he's settled, feeding well during the day and evening, contented...............even more than that he's sleeping brilliantly at night for his age!! Fair enough if he starts to lose weight but he isn't so, providing you are happy, keep going as you are and just get him weighed less. ;D

Chux xx

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Chux, having you ladies gives me the confidence to go with what I feel!

They keep saying weigh him again in 2 weeks or this time a week, but if tomorrow his weight is fine then I will not be getting him weighed for as long as possible, unless I feel there is a problem, and as you say, he's a happy contented little boy! He's never going to be a giant but then neither are DH and I. but he always gains, is happy, sleeps well, is contented, and developmentally is doing well. So bugger them and their charts.

Thanks ladies it's amazing how the support on this board just continues! You are all so very kind, and I don't know what I'd do without you all  xxx

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
OMG if I had a baby that was sleeping through so well I wouldn't change a thing!!!!! J is almost 1, have recently introduced an evening bottle as so exhausted of night time waking - M still wasn't sleeping through when J was born so it's been soooo long since I had good nights-  but it still hasn't done the trick. Not all babies are the same and it's pointless expecting all of them to somehow conform to a chart. As long as he is gaining, as the others have said, I wouldn't worry. And as has also been mentioned, if you DO introduce formula, I wouldn't go for the top-up route but rather one whole formula feed at a specific time in the day. Breastfeeding is tiring enough as it is without you needing to have the hassle of cleaning/sterilising bottles and preparing formula at each feed. If he feeds well and your supply is obviously good, and he feeds till he's full, then I don't really see the point of throwing formula on top of that each time. I personally feel top ups should be the last resort in a situation when the breast is empty and the baby is still hungry. Your lo is content (AND SLEEPS WELL!!!!) so he's obviously not hungry.
Good luck!
X

·
Registered
999 Posts
I couldn't agree more BikerGirl.  If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I think that weight gain sounds fine personally...if I have got thsi right then he was born at 5lb 15 and at 13 weeks is 10lb 4  then that means weight gain is average 5.3oz a week. according to kelly mom website average weight gain for breastfed babies in first 4 months is 5-7oz a week...so you are within the bottom of average. 

My DD's weight gain was similar and had no problem with HV's etc, in fact they were always reallyu happy as she remained between 9th and 25th centiles.  If you don't like what they are saying just stop taking him to get weighed xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts