Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just back to work this week after mat leave

W now at nursery three and half days a week, but full days are long - I have to drop him at 7.30am and pick him up about 6.15pm when the nursery shuts.  I feel so guilty already  :-\

Just found out today that my hours at work are going to change - I'm going to have to work 8am-8pm once a week or so  :mad:  How do I manage childcare with this?  What do you ladies that work shifts do?

DH commutes to work and will struggle to do the nursery run for me in the evenings.  Grandparents all live 100+ miles away so not an option!  And anyway, W's bedtime is 7pm so I want him home by then.

So depressed at the thought of starting all over again and looking for a childminder instead, and don't even know if they work that late?  Not sure I could afford a nanny?

I'm not expecting any miracle answers from you, just needed a moan  ^eyes^
Thanks

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Sorry hun, can't really help, but didn't want to read and run

I work until 10pm 2 days a week (that is where I am at the moment) but Megan goes to nursery from 1.30pm ( I start at 2pm) and then DH picks her up at 5pm.

But if DH has to go away with work then I have to take annual leave as I have no one near by to help out with child care.  All are parents etc are well over 2 hours away

Hope you manage to sort it .... have you tried speaking to work to see if they can do anything to help re your hours - can you explain that you might have trouble with childcare.

My work were very flexible when I came back to work and basically fitted in around me and my family

Keep us posted as to how you get on

xxxxxx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh hun, ^hugme^

I have no words of advice or help but wanted to say  I'm really feeling for you.

What a shame you don't live near me, I'm a childminder and would look after your little one for the hours your looking for.

Maybe a childminder would be the best option or going through a nanny agency. I really hope you manage to work something out

Nikki
x

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You could put in a application for flexible working which would mean you couldn't work till 8pm. This is what I did and I don't work wed and thurs on a 5 day shift pattern to keep childcare costs down. Legally they have to go through all the proper paper work - get your union involved too mine were fantastic. They can only refuse on very specific grounds. My job is 24/7 so they could have refused it but they didn't and I am sure if you present a good case it will go a long way.

Don't forget you dh can also present one to ask on the day in question his working hours are reduced. My DH starts late about 4 times a month when I am on early shift - I work 10 days a month and try to swap things round but it isn't always possible and his employer is very good we never have an issue with them.

On the guilt side believe me it will get better - especially when you see how much he gets out of interaction with children and also the relationships and the way he is with other adults. My 2 DD love nursery and have been in since 6 months and are thriving.
big hugs honey x x x x x

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hi,

Is there anyone near you who you would trust to look after your DS for the few hours after nursery til you get home?  you could offer to pay them to take him and collect him to and from nursery, i work 8-8 one day per week too and find it hard to be away from my DD for so long, hope you can work something out.

Just noticed you were at the Glasgow Nuffield, so were we.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ladies, thank you  ^hugme^

flexible working not an option for me (new government-imposed contracted hours) but may be for DH - he is going to look into it, just don't want to "jeopardise" his career/prospects with his firm

I'm sure we'll work something out, just bad timing with going back after mat leave this week - stressful enough without hours changing too!

x

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Bec have a look into a nanny- they may not be as expensive as you think- could you keep your two days at nursery and your 8-8 with a nanny to keep cost down instead of 3 whole nanny days..... if you are worried about W being confussed about different people looking after him, in a nursery staff swap and change anyways and thoughout the day- different girls go in to cover lunch's etc so he wouldnt be affected i dont think?

Or that long day with a childminder?
Just a idea  :-* :-*

·
Registered
479 Posts
nanny share is a good option too. with another family. basically you split the cost and one day they are at yours the next they are at the other parents.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i used to work in a nursery, i used to take one of the toddlers home 1 evening a week (to there house) cook tea and get them ready for bed, however it was arranged via the nursery manager but i was paid by the family for the extra hours, just an idea but worth approching the nursery manager to see if something like this is possible

good luck

kate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.