Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Girls
Well, I think I've been on about half of the message boards over the years... IVF, Adoption, Moving On and now here I am with retched Fibroids...
I won't go into a boring essay on my background, suffice to say we've been there, done it all and got several rather tatty T-shirts to prove it, but this latest chapter in my IF 'journey' (how I hate that word...) is the most worrying.
I've had fibroids for over 10 years and known they were always there lurking but for the last six months I've felt a swelling in the right side of my abdomen. The swelling has now got so noticeable (causing an umbilical hernia) and painful that my DH got really concerned and booked me into the Drs. The doctor said that the fibroids were now 'massive' (they were 7cm x 10cm when they were last measured five years ago) and sent me for an emergency appointment at my local gynaecological department. I went for this appointment and after just a bit of probing with rubber gloves was told that I indeed did have 'massive' fibroids and that I wasn't to be alarmed but that I needed to be scanned urgently 'Just to confirm the diagnosis and to rule out anything sinister'. I am to be treated as an emergency as I 'must be in a lot of pain and discomfort'. If fibroids are confirmed and nothing sinister is found my 'Only option is a hysterectomy'. I said that with my history I wasn't happy about this and was told 'I thought you'd say that, but there is no option'.
How can they say this without even scanning me?
I'm so worried. A worse case scenario is that they 'find something sinister' and the best I can hope for is that it is 'just' fibroids and they whip out all of my womens bits. To top it all, even though they've banged on about emergencies, they think they won't be able to even scan me for at least two weeks!
Even though I'm ancient (47), and my bits haven't really been much use to me, the psychological impact of loosing them now would be awful ... friends and family don't really understand 'Have them out, you'll be free of AF forever' is the stock answer, but I'd feel like I'd lost a limb (sorry if this sounds insensitive... I don't mean to be to people who have, but I can't think of another analogy). I know all of you girls will understand this.
I'm sorry for my ramblings, I've not slept much since the Drs appointment and I don't think I'll sleep for the next two weeks.
Has anyone else been through this and can they give me a scrap of hope? I'm really scared about this scan and the results.
Love to all
EML

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Hi EML,
Welcome, but soo sorry you've had such a time of it.
The consultant is right in one way that hysterectomy is the only way to completely eradicate fibroids completely and thereby also removes any possibility of future regrowth, yes, you are unlikely to use your womens bits for their intended use, but I think (I presume your consultant is a man) he's been rather insensitive....but then again dr's are all hardened to cold hard facts, rather than the niceities and emotional side of being given this diagnosis.
You should have a couple of options open to you:
have counselling to help you make the decision
have the option of less 'radical' surgery as you are not psychologically ready to relinquish your body parts.

A very good friend of mine (through fibroids) had a hysterectomy done a while back and it isnt an easy decision to make.

We're here for you anytime, but yes, its easy for every to say whip 'em out - but there are soo many psychological issues to think about and come to terms with.
Wishing you all the very best
Sheila 

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Sheila
Many thanks for your reply. Yes, these drs can be a bit cold, but it was a female junior dr who gave me the 'diagnosis' that day.
Well, I had my US scan today (I was supposed to see the consultant afterwards, but that was cancelled at the last minute), and ... even though I asked both my GP and the gynaecologist I saw on my last visit if it might be a cyst I was bluntly told 'No, it can't be... it's a massive fibroid'. Well, the scan shows:
1 fibroid 10cm x 7cm (not grown in 5 years)
1 fibroid 4cm x 2cm (grown slightly)
2 fibroids 3cm x 2cm (new)
1 ovarian cyst (rhs) 15cm
1 ovarian cyst (lhs) 6cm.
I've now got to wait for up to two weeks for the official results, but I'm still classed as 'urgent'. The radiologist said that they won't let me live like this because I'm in discomfort.
So, theres an awful lot going on in there, and I don't know whether to be pleased it's not a 'massive' fibroid, or to worry because there are more fibroids than I thought there were and these cysts are a worry...
Anyway, I've got to wait and see ... again.
Many thanks, again, for your reply... I'll keep you posted.
Love
Elaine

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Oh Elaine
Soo sorry that you've got a right fruit basket going on in there my luv.... but these surgeons can do wonderful work - sadly fibroids are very very common (;o( - so they get plenty of practice!!!
Hopefully you'll get some good news in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime, we're here anytime for you, sending hugs
Sheila

1 - 4 of 4 Posts