Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm hoping I'm posting in the right place and that someone might be able to help me.

My first ICSI ended last week, as of my 4 eggs collected, one was immature, 2 didn't fertilise and one fertilised abnormally.  Was completely gutted, wasn't expecting this at all, and have since been struggling to come to terms with things.

When I spoke to the embryologist, he said that my eggs were a bit on the 'soft side' - what does that mean?  I have searched FF and googled it to no avail!

We are waiting to hear when our follow up appointment will be - am so desperate to find some answers so we can draw a line under this and move on.  It feels like after months of appointments and injections and scans, we are suddenly left alone and kind of floundering!

Would love to hear if anyone has had a similar experience and went on to have a BFP - things feel so hopeless at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Jenbow xxx

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi JenBow,

So sorry to hear your cycle did not go to plan.  Floundering is a good description for when things go wrong in this game.  ^hugme^

Sorry, I have no experience or knowledge about 'soft eggs', but I think I would be questioning my consultant about what exactly he/she means by the term 'soft egg'.  I'd want some back up info also.

Best of luck
Pipx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
My eggs were described as soft or squishy and we too had zero fert first time around.
It basically means that when the embryologist tried to immobilize your egg (they use a tiny suction device to hold it still while injecting the sperm), rather than it looking like a fully inflated football held up by a vacuum cleaner hose it got a little deflated in shape, more like a beachball when it's delvoped a bit of a leak! And where as the 'football' is easy to penetrate with the needle because of it's hard shape the beachball is a little harder to squewer!
I hope all those analogies help!
Good luck with your follow-up appointment.
Lizi.xxx

PS. if your clinic is small and friendly like ours they may be willing to let you speak directly to the embryologist about it. We did, and I'm pleased to say we struck up such a good relationship with her that once we were successful she was one of the first people up to the ward to give our DD a cuddle!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lizzi, thanks that beachball analogy really helped!

Were you given any indication what could cause this, or what you could do to help them become less squishy?!
xx

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
We were told it was just one of those things, however in the next cycle I really upped the amount (and range) of protein I was eating and we got much better results and on that occasion she never referred to my 'squishy eggs'.
HTH
Lizi.x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts