Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been away from FF for a while now, DH and I been trying for 5 yrs and following 4 failed IUI's I just needed a break from all things fertility!
I'm now due to start injecting next week for our first cycle of IVF and once again my brain is obsessed and overwhelmed 24/7. There is alot riding on this for us as it's going to really tug at the purse strings if we don't get lucky this time (it feels SO WRONG that money should have to be a factor when you're already going through the mill)!
I've recently been reading a lot about IVF and have read several articles about possible benefits to taking low dose aspirin for increasing blood flow to the ovaries and womb, has anyone had experience of it?? When I spoke to the clinic they said there are no proven benefits and taking the aspirin could increase the risk of bleeding following EC. Now I'm really confused, I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't so any advice would be more than welcomed. ^pray^
Also can anyone with first hand experience please tell me if EC is painful, sounds silly but to be honest I'm a bit scared.
Sorry to go on.
Baby dust to all on 2WW ^fairydust^
Thanks for listening
Kathryn

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi Kathryn,
Sorry but I can't help with the aspirin thing. I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help  ^hugme^
I had EC in April and it wasn't painful at all. I had sedation when I had mine and didn't remember a thing. All that I do remember is they put a needle in the back of my hand so they could inject the sedation easily, they put me into stirrups and did a normal internal scan just to see what's happening with follies. The nurse said they were gonna start the sedation and I remember telling the nurse that I felt wierd (like being a bit tipsy!) and that's it!!!!
I sort of remember moving onto the trolley to be wheeled back to the ward bed. I came round properly after above 5 minutes and I'd ordered a cup of coffee apparently!!!! ^idiot^
Afterwards I didn't have any pain as such. My tummy got a bit bloated and uncomfortable for a few days. But it's really not as bad as I had expected. It just felt like having af.
Honestly you'll be too busy laughing at DH in his hair net!!! Very sexy  ;D ;D
ET is over within minutes and isn't painful. It feels just like having a smear test, not very nice but nothing to worry about.
Good luck with your treatment
Sending sticky vibes your way
Sarah xx

G

·
Lots of places do prescribe aspirin post EC but you must do what your clinic recommends....maybe try to talk to them again about it? (it is almost routinely used in London). Re EC - you will be fine - it is actually quite exciting as you get to "see" the fruits of all your hard work :)...if you have a sedation or GA you will not know a thing about it but will wake up afterwards all snoozy :)

Good Luck

xxx

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

Sarah - thanks for your post, it's great to hear that from someone who's been through it! It doesn't matter how many times a nurse tells you it wont hurt if they haven't actually had it done themselves! I definitely like the thought of feeling a bit tipsy, seems like an age since I had a few glasses of wine  ;D

Lukey - Yeah it's so difficult when medical oppinion is divided. My clinic seemed to be a bit wishy washy in their response and I came away feeling like they just didn't want to commit one way or the other so it's easier to say "we wouldn't recommend it but you must do as you think best"  ^idiot^ For the EC I'm having sedation and I'm definitely a bit less nervous since receiving these posts so thank you so much for taking the time.

Best wishes
Kathryn

·
Registered
921 Posts
Kathryn,

I've had aspirin on all my attempts due to a thin uterine lining but you have to stop it a couple of days before EC to prevent excessive bleeding.  Obviously I'd go with the doctors opinion on it really as you might not need it - it is very frustrating that doctors have different opinions I know  ^bigbad^.  Other things to think about are things like fish oils which you are warned to be careful of if also using aspirin as they do thin the blood a little - I've used both at the same time but was under medical supervision (ie doc said no, I'm not worried about fish oils (!)  ::)).

Best of luck,
Kath

·
Registered
636 Posts
Kathryn, I also used aspirin during treatment. It was stopped 2-3 days before EC. I then took it thru 2WW and while pg. [Sadly pg didn't last.]

It is annoying when clinics are not helpful. You are putting so much time and money into this the least they should do is sit down and answer your questions properly. They are meant to be the experts. Not sure when you start your tx but if you are not happy there could you look elsewhere? It is times like this you don't need 'wishy washy' for those you are relying on.

I wish you all the luck with your tx. I hope you are first time lucky.

Love
Floss

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Kathryn

I haven't had any experience of Asprin but I know lots of ladies on here have taken it  :)  I would have a word with your Consultant but am sure someone posted a similar question and they said it doesn't matter if you do or don't as there aren't any side effects.

I have had EC before and its been done under sedation and I can't remember anything about it at all.  Some clinics are different so it might be worth asking how they do it  :)  :)

x x x

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi

Just to say I had asprin (75mg) post ET and took it for the first 12 weeks of my BFP - my clinic said the asprin was pending my bloods (i think they were my estradol levels or something) - if it had been higher I would have been on cyclogest but as it was lower I ended up asprin. 

Probably not much help to you but just thought I would post.  As for the EC - I opted for full general so felt nothing! ( i did however end up with OHSS which was a flippin killer! - make sure you drink your fluids....)

Good luck with everything.

Nacknick. xx

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hi ya,

sorry can't help re the asprin.

Have had ec twice though and i'd compare it to feeling drunk. On my first go i felt twinges but its all just a blur really and on my 2nd go i didn't feel a thing. They asked me to lay down, i did and then they asked me to stand up which felt about 2 mins later but it was more like 20 mins or so.

You'll be fine hon. its over soon and it goes quickly in a blur.

Good luck

Love Cleo xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys. Thank you for all the support and advice.
As all my tests have come back OK I think I may just give the aspirin a miss, otherwise I'll only blame that if things don't go to plan ;D
I'm hoping to get AF tomorrow (first time I've said that in a long time) as then I'll be able to start injecting on Wed. God I hope it works ^pray^.
Another quickie, has anyone used the cyclogest pessaries?? I see that you can insert them into either of two choice locations and didn't know if one is any better than the other?? (Sorry I know it's not the most pleasant of topics :-[ )

Thanks again
Kathryn

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
Hi Kathryn

I have used the Cyclogest Pessaries and always used the front door.  They can make a bit of mess so panty liners are essential  ;)

However, I know some ladies swear by using the back door  :)

It really is up to you.

x x x

·
Registered
636 Posts
Back door was best for me. Front door felt like it was all comin back out! Way too much info!!  ;D

Floss

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I've always used the back door - less mess! (bit more wind though!!! ;D )

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, the things we have to do hey  ;D

I'm well stressed at the moment, following the norethisterone my period was supposed to have arrived by Tuesday and it's Friday now and still no sign!! The clinic are saying not to worry and just let them know when it arrives but the knock on effect is going to play hovock with the time DH and i've booked off work for EC etc  :( Has anyone else had this experience with the norethisterone??

I must sound like a complete stress head but all the uncertainty is driving me around the twist  ^idiot^

take care
kathryn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts