Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girls, I am a bit confused about Soy products. I have PCOS and am oestregen dominant and low on progesterone. Right now, after unsuccessful Clomid type treatment am TTC naturally. My priority right now is to regulate my cycles and ovulation and to be as healthy as possible so I can conceive. This includes losing excess weight by eating low GI to keep blood sugar stable and taking an array of supplements including Vitex (just started) to assist with balancing my hormones naturally. I am also eating certain foods which are supposed to be good for hormone balance including phytooestregens such as soya milk, tofu, soy beans, sprouts, alfalfa, linseeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, olive oil, corn, barley, oats, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, peas, beans, cucumber, carrots, apples, wholegrain foods.

However despite containing phytooestregens and isoflavones, all good for hormone balance, the jury seems to be out on soy and fertility. Do I eat it or not? I don’t really overdo the soy, perhaps a tofu based meal once a week/fortnight if that, 2 small glasses of soy milk a week, 2 serves edamame beans a week. Is this enough to affect my fertility? Can soy really act as a natural contraceptive and mess with my cycles?

I have heard so many mixed reports and it seems to range from a super food to a devil food! Opinions please  :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello all - I've been lurking awhile, back to TTC naturally for a while after a long journey... Anyway, I've read a bit on using soy isoflavones to induce or improve ovulation.  My understanding is it is essentially like Clomid, take for 5 days early on in the cycle, and it has a similar effect. 
Have any of you tried this?  Any success stories?  Thank you and baby blessings to all!!  -Jen

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
To be honest, I really think that if soy was such a huge barrier to fertility surely the Chinese wouldn't have brought this one child policy into effect. 

lets say your fertility issue is related to having low levels of oestrogen. Why would soy then have a negative effect on you ???

I'm no expert and I can't say more than that on the matter but it seems to me this is yet another western vs eastern medicine disagreement, a bit like the milk thing, Eastern medicine says it's a no no, Western medicine decrees you should drink the stuff til it's coming out of your ears... and you'll get a different answer depending on which expert you speak to ::)

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
Jen have merged your query in with kylieboo's due to the similar subject matter

xxx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I saw in Collette Harris's PCOS book that while there is 'controversy' with soy, if TTC then having it a few times a week shouldn't hurt. I do enjoy it and think it has a lot of health benefits so will just stick to say 3 serves a week and focus on the other hormone balancing food too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts