Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

spare parts for cots

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  blue skies 
#1 ·
Having a bit of a mare!!

Swapped DD out of her cot ready for new baby, and whilst we were moving the room around the dropside mechanism on her cot broke  :(

It's the little catch bit at the top, that holds the side of the cot up up place.  You have to pull it out to release the side and drop it.  To be fair, we've never used it for that purpose, but the cot isn't safe without it in place as it locks the side of the cot upright.

The cot was given to us by my friend, who can't recall where it was from (it was a gift from her inlaws) but she thinks it was mothercare.  We therefore don't know the name of the cot which doesn't help matters.

I've trawled the net and found that cossato sometimes sell mothercare cot spares, so I sent them a pic of the catch but it's not one that they made for mothercare so they can't help.  Been into the local mothercare and asked, and they said because we don't know the name of the cot they can't help and it's not a current model (useless, but there you go).

I've tried a local hardware shop, and B&Q, ebay, etc and nothing - I can't find anyone who sells cot catches.

Had anyone ever come across this problem and managed to get the spares? At this rate it looks like I'm going to have to buy a new cot, just for the sake of the catch not working!

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks.  I've emailed kiddicare, but their spares section does say they can only get spares for items they stock and they need the full name and description.  As you say they don't stock mothercare, but I've emailed anyway in the hope they may be able to find something similar.

Yes Lou, I've told DH that somehow he will have to screw it in place otherwise as a last resort or find some way of bolting it. The only time I really ever use the dropside is to change the sheets when the cot is on it's lowest setting but it was handy for that - for some reason the sides are really quite high - or so they seemed compared to other cots we were trying to look for mechanisms on in mothercare.  Our cot comes up to my ribs, but the newer ones in the shop only seemed to be just about waist height on me, so changing the fitted sheet on ours is a bit of a gymnastic effort! But it'll be on the higher settting for months yet with the new baby, so I'll have to worry about that later (or delegate to DH!).

#5 ·
I had the same problem and couldnt get a spare from anywhere. Luckily for us it didnt effect the cot in anyway apart from the side had to be down. Lewis was never one for standing in his cot either so it turned out it wasn't really a problem for us in the end.

I would say if your not sure of the make of the cot, maybe a DIY shop and making something?

Sorry can't be much help, I know how frusrating it feels thinking you will have to buy a new cot for the sake of a tiny bit of plastic breaking off. You would think these things would be easier to come by.

xx

#6 ·
Hi, if you post a photo of the cot here on FF maybe someone will recognise the make/model and you will be able to contact the manufacturer direct to get the part.

#8 ·
I can't post my own pic as DH has camera and he's away with work... but I have found the same cot on ebay. It's identical to this, and you can even see the pesty white clips on the frame on the picture where the dropside is down. I'd be tempted to get it just for the clips and ditch the rest, but it's the other side of the country to us!!

We know the make is mothercare, but we don't know the name of the cot. They did say they couldn't help me at mothercare, but if I know the exact name of the cot maybe that would be progress as they were struggling without it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mothercare-cot-bed-/120694105238?pt=UK_Baby_Nursery_Furniture_ET&hash=item1c19ede496

If anyone knows the "name" of the cot I'd be really grateful!!

Sophie

/links

#9 ·
#10 ·
wow - v.v. similar indeed, but thats a current model and mine is 5+ years old.  The dropside mechanism is now different and doesn't operate with catches at either side, but with some other type which doesn't involve end catches (I wonder why.... maybe they broke too often  ::) ) and instead of having planks/panelled ends, the ends are smooth and one piece of wood, but very similar indeed.  If you zoom in on the picture, there are no catches which would be visibile on the side where the panel is shown dropped (if that makes any sense).

Beginning to think it's just going to have to be screwed in place unfortunately!

#11 ·
I can't see the catch on the ebay picture properly, but it might be a similar catch on my drop side cot - from Kiddicare.  Have they got back to you?  When I contacted them I couldn't remember the name of the product I'd got from them - tbh, I only guessed it was a Kiddicare own cot.  In the end I simply emailed them a picture of the item I was looking for. 

I've just done a quick search for 'drop side cots' on ebay and there are a lot of cots with similar clips - some from businesses so it might be worth contacted them to see if they can help.

#12 ·
Claire - thanks.

I'll have a look on ebay in a min again - never thought of that as an option. 

Just checked my email and kiddicare say "I am sorry but we have checked with our spares team and we don't have any drop side catches like this one.  We would advise you go back to where you purchased this from" - grrr!

I did think about a very small, round edged brass bolt as an alternative - a teeny tiny one which wouldn't trap fingers or have sharp edges.  I could put it on the dropside then put the dropside against the wall, and only need to pull it out to change sheets or when baby gets much bigger, or even hide it under the tie top of the nappy stacker which I hang from the side of the cot?  Might be a bit less "final" than screwing it all together!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.