Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

I've been to see the midwife today who detected blood in my urine, said the pains I have been receiving quite low down is probably SPD for which I've been referred to a physio and I was also measuring for 32 weeks which is a good 4/5cm bigger than I should be, she told me it could be water retention as my hands and feet have been a bit swollen and has asked me to go in next week and if I'm still measuring large then I'll have a scan at the hospital.  I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the same?  I think SPD isn't unusual but don't really know what causes it.  If I am retaining water how do I stop retaining it?  If the baby is too big I presume they will have to do tests to find out why it is so big and then what?

Any repsonses greatly appreciated

x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Measuring your bump isn't the most accurate thing and different midwives can get different measurements, plus it can depend on how the baby is lying, how much fluid you have etc etc. It seems to be standard practice to refer for a growth scan if you are measuring more than 3cms over, but even these aren't always accurate. I know with ds I got sent for growth scans a few times as the midwife kept measuring me big, but each time the sonographer said he was within the normal range. If your baby is measuring big there's not a lot they can do, but they would probably send you for a glucose tolerance test.

Chux xx

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi,  I developed SPD at about 30 weeks so can sympathise. It s effectively pelvic instability which is a result of loose ligaments following muscle relaxation due to the hormone prolactin which is a natural process in late pregnancy. It isn't helped if your abdominal muscles aren't strong at the time as too much pressure is placed on your pelvis.

I felt really fit and healthy in the third trimester however overdid things by running up and down stairs at work and home. Its easy to forget, as I did, that the baby and uterine cavity is effectively itself an 'unstable load, full of fluid, moving around a lot so its putting a lot of pressure on your pelvic girdle and other muscle groups. One day I could not get up out of my chair at work. I felt that the baby's head was emerging and stuck in my pelvis.
I also could not get down on my hands and knees or get out of a car easily.
It did take some months after the birth to get back to normal as it also resulted in tight quadricep muscles in my legs making my knees creak and give way on occasion. What helped greatly was sports massage on the quadriceps, physio exercises and Pilates which strengthened my back and abdominals post birth. The solution was quite simple really and I wished I'd tried it earlier as I was very immobile post birth and put on loads of weight.  Your NHS physio may not suggest massage, so its worth finding a private therapist, as only a few sessions can make all the difference.

I also found splints very useful for pain relief on swollen hands. The NHS ones were scratchy so I bought some neoprene ones from a local chemist. You might want to try that to see if it works.

best of luck,  hope things improve,

roze x

·
Premium Member
29,892 Posts
Hi

I had SPD confirmed at Early 20 something weeks, the physio helped with exercises and also gave me a huge tubigrip to help support i am sure that they will be able to offer advice on that

I agree with Chux with regards the size and measuring, i think its all just guess work (going from personal experience) i measured 2-3 wks ahead from about 18 weeks, i had growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 wks pg as i had been diagnosed with gestational diabetes early on (16 wks) again i think that these arent reliable just guesswork and it all depends on the position the baby is laying in

Eg at 36 wks our estimate was 6lb 8oz, our baby was born 2 wks later at 38 wks weighing 5lb 14oz

Normally if your measuring about 4 wks or over they like to investigate why its good that your mw is being proactive though

^goodluck^ for your appt next week

Em

1 - 4 of 4 Posts