Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has just received results of sperm test noting marked agglutination. Motility's also low at 25%; count per ml at 13 and total 34 million (previously 40%; 17 per ml and total 108 million).

We are presuming agglutination is due to antibodies, but have not been tested for these. Is this the most likely reason or has anyone had agglutination of sperm without antibodies? ???

I'm really sad and could do with some optimistic comments! I had 100mg of clomid for the 2nd time this month (it worked last month) but no reaction this time. It feels like we are battling with an impossible force that I'm so scared we won't overcome. :-[

Please HELP!
Thanks. Awaiting patiently for now, before I start losing my marbles!
Love to everyone.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hiya!

I am not an expert but just looked agglutination up in the Marilyn Glenville book and it suggests that it can be caused by infection or antibodies. It also suggests that it can be worse where there is a lack of Vit C (common in smokers - I will be telling my DH off again later)!

The book also goes on to say that in research as little as 500 mg of Vit C taken daily has been shown to reduce agglutination and increase fertility. She recommends taking 1000mg daily.

Not sure if this info will be of any help to you but I hope so. It might be worth a try anyway.

Good luck

Allie

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hi

It does sound like it could be antibodies. My DH has sperm antibodies (not sure why - v strange!) and has a high % of agglutination.
There are 2 MAR tests that they do for antibodies - an IgG and IgA test.The clinic should have done an antibody test though i would have thought.
Try not to get yourself too upset until you have spoken to your doctor. Of course you can overcome anything if you stay positive.
Hopefully things will work out for you on the clomid but if not there are other options available to you.
Don't panic yet.
Take care and let us know how you get on.
Love nicxxx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your words of support. No Nic, he hasn't been tested for antibodies yet as we're not part of a clinic. We're curently trying to choose one. As yet we've no idea whether we'll need IVF or ICSI.
I think we need to know more about DH's sperm. We wondered whether he could be referred to an andrologist on the NHS before we start paying for treatment.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Hi Rowena - just a quickie but when my DH was tested for antibodies we weren't at a fertility clinic - the test was done at the NHS hospital and apparently is part of the normal testing that is done. This is what we told by the doctor anyway.... might be worth checking with your doctor? Have they said whether he will need to go for another SA?
Nicxx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Nic,
Thanks for the advice :D: we have just returned from our GP who is going to refer dh for a better investigation. Before we go for self-paying IVF/ICSI it would be helpful to know we really do need it. As a sideline it would obviously help financially too, to have some more thorough investigations under our belt as the cost of treatment is enough without any extras!

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eventually have the forms for Antibody test. GP has sent a form for blood and one for semen and asked me to tel. the hospital to find out which type of sample to provide! Anybody know the answer? ???

If they are positive steroids have been suggested, but as I'm not ovulating regularly, then maybe we should go for IVF straight away. My NHS Consultant has just suggested Ovarian drilling! :eek: I'm beginning to think I'm having a nightmare that I'll wake up from soon. :-\

Any comments gratefully accepted.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi all,

I am new here cos we only found out recently that we have problems. DH had an SA done at a private clinic and while the little guys were nice and healthy, there was 100% agglutination. They were not going anywhere... :(

The clinic did the MAR tests for IgA and IgA. From what I know, these tests are not routine on the NHS. The private clinic has said we are good candidates for IVF with ICSI. We have decided to try the NHS first though.

We are hoping desperately that the consultant (that we have only just been referred to) will take these test results into consideration and send us straight for ICSI rather than wasting time with other stuff that we don't need.

Jo.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Shupa,

We have just been referred straight for ICSI after only one sperm analysis. Due to the poor results i.e. less than one million sperm and 15% motility, the urologist confirmed ICSI was the way forward.

Have had to go private though (waiting list is 10 months but dh is 43 yrs old so have little time on our hands) and have first appointment on 02/09/04.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Natalie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts