Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
we have just had our results from our sperm fragmentation test, after one failed ICSI and a miscarriage they thought this test was a good idea. Has anyone else had this test or know more than the basics about it? Has anyone conceived and given birth after getting poor results from this test?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi, sorry I can't help, but I am interested in the test you've had. Can you tell me why it was recommended and what it is for, and where you had it.

thanks very much

Rosy

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Rosy,

Sperm fragmentation tests are done to show the extent of DNA damage within the sperm. The results of the test 'can' provide clues to the likely hood of the embryo surviving.

Tony,
x

·
Registered
61 Posts
dear aabbcc,

we were told to have this test done too as my dh had had a vasectomy reversal and had 90% anitbodies and we were told that if his dna fragmentation was over a certain % then even though we would get fertilisation with ICSI our embryos would never be able to get beyond a certain point as the egg, whilst all sperm have a certain amount of DNA damage, can only "repair" so much damage, We had it done to make sure it wasn't a waste of time, money and more importantly hope, to go thru with ICSI. We got a 25% DNA fragmentation and that is ok, not great, but not horrendous, do you mind me asking what your dh's was? You should also know that I understand not all urologists/ivf experts believe in this test and its results anyway, my clinic doesn't appear to. good luck chablis

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi - can you let me know where it's possible to get this test in the UK. Is it always called a fragmentation test  - I've looked on the internet and can only find references to it in the States.

can you also let me know how much this would cost and under what circumstances it would be recommended

thanks

rosy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rosy, I am new to this site and not sure if I am replying to you, or to the message board! We were advised to have a sperm fragmentation test done after we had one failed ICSI and a miscarriage from a natural conception 3 months later.Our hospital, University College Hospital in London, does them now as routine apparantly when you go for treatment. They cost approx £250. I wish we had had  one done immediately in many ways, then maybe we would not have put ourselves through a failed ICSI, but then again, I think we probably would have had one go anyway, despite knowing what we know now. They say that if results are higher than 28% the highly likely eventuality from any conception, whether natural or Artificial, is miscarriage.They admit that this technology is not completely established, but having read through lots of info from the states, they are much more secure know in the knowledge that it really is a very good indicator of whether or not a pregnancy will succeed.Personally, I think a poor result should come with free counselling as this is the hardest thing we have ever had to cope with and who can afford £45 per session counselling whilst still trying to pay off ICSI debts? There should be more responsibility upon hospitals to cope with the mental as well as physical factors associated with infertility, but I'll get off my bandwagon now!
Hope this helps and your results are better than ours if you choose to go through with it.
I would be interested to know from anyone else, what their hospitals think of the test.

·
Registered
61 Posts
we had our sperm fragmentation test at zita west clinic with dr sheryl homa , we had a load of other tests run ie for infections so i am not sure re cost, we were told 30% or over was the cut off point....... however we were also told it could be improved by diet, vits, acupunture etc.....chablis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chablis,
would you be good enough to let me know any advice they gave you to improve the fragmentation. from what I have been told there is nothing we can do except vitamin c and e. How much value did the people at your test centre put on the test? As far as I know the chances of going full term are very rare if the results are over 28%?
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi aabbcc, well I am at ARGC and they didn't care about the sperm fragementation test result at all, so they are not "buying" this test at the moment. well prepare yourself! this is what we are doing, all organic food, I don't drink but my husband does but has cut right down (there is no way he will give up completely!) we eat lots of oily fish, pumpkin seeds, loads of veg and fruit, we don't drink caffiene (well i have to have one cup real coffees a day) we both see a acupunturist and take chinese herbs, we both take zita west supplemts plus he takes 1,000 vit c, ginseng, vit e and selenium zinc (v good for sperm) plus he has had a couple reflexogy sessions. He says he feel sthe best he ever has, we will re test his sperm mid oct (as you know he had a test in Jan of about 7 million, in march it was 55 mill) and we are now working on agulation (sorry spelt that wrong!) and motility. all good luck chablis

·
Registered
61 Posts
ps aabbcc, i know you saw a dr at uch but (as we all know) sometimes dr's (with all due respect etc etc)  arn't the best at either explaining results, showing compassion and accepting/acknowleding so called "alternative" methods can work/help - i would throughly recommend you and your husband talking to zita west about it all - it will cost you £195 but it really could help you decide on the right course of action/avenues to explore/routes to take - i found it so helpful to talk to someone who had had so much experience and knew so much both from a traditional medical perspective but also from an alternative perspective - i know when we were awaiting our sperm fragementation results i felt real despair but i found the sperm expert dr sheryl homa and zita west really really helpful when all we seemed to be getting was there is no hope. chablis x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Chablis,
thanks so much. Did the Zita West clinic advise those changes in diet/ vitamins to improve count and motility or do they believe that fragmentation can improve? I don't wish to sound defeatist (although I do feel defeated at times :'() but from what we know from the hospital and the research we have done from the states, the overwhelming opinion is that fragmentation cannot be improved. Is your husband having another fragmentation test in October as well?
Thank you so much for your time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Chablis and aabbcc

Am I right in thinking that the test checks the DNA in the sperm? Is this done on all the sperm , or just the ones which have 'passed' the visual tests of looking okay and wiggling correctly (I mean the ones which one be selected for ICSI)

We have an appointment with Jane Knight at the Zita West Clinic at the end of the month. Can we request that this test is done on that day, or would we have to come back again?

Also, any tips for what we should ask when we have the appointment

thank you

Rosy

·
Registered
61 Posts
dear rosy, no i shouldn't hink this test could be sone unless you have pre booked it and dr sheryl homa is there, why don't you call and say you want to have this test as well and see what they advise. all luck chablis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts