Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI  :)

Just wondered if anybody knows anything about maturation arrest?
All I know is that it is sperm that hasn't fully developed and are very immature, but can anyone tell me if they can use such sperm for ICSI?? ::)

My DH is waiting for SSR, all his tests have come back well within normal limits although he has no sign of any little chaps  ^sperm^ in his SA. :'(
Our consultant didnt hold much hope for him finding any but didnt give us any clues as to why he thought that considering the results. His FSH levels would suggest he is producing something however, Im wondering if they are not developing and that is why it is not looking hopeful.

Hope someone has answers!! ;D

Lol

Mae :)

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Mae - this is an issue we had to discuss with the consultants, because they took out strands of sperm they performed something called MOST.  Or in simple terms they grew some of them to maturity.  ^sperm^ ^sperm^

So I wouldn't worry too much but you must accept this as a possible stage in the treatment.  We had to sign to authorise the docs to be able to do it.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy for your reply.  :)

Do you know if they can use immature sperm for ICSI?  ::)

When we had DH first SA back and given the diagnosis of Azoospermia, our GP said that there were germ cells/sperm precursor cells in the sample. However, when we saw the consultant and mentioned it, he said nothing of the sort had been found! We dont actually have a copy of these results although we do of his 2nd SA and there was no evidence of anything found in that one. We were obviously left confused but with this in the back of our minds. Wondering if DH has maturation arrest and this the cause of azoospermia. I guess we will have to wait for SSR to diagnose anything.

Thanks again and go back and pamper that DW of yours!!! ;D

Lol

MAe

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Mae - I think it is an issue of what is immature sperm, they don't need it to have grown to have a tail etc but they need it to reach a certain state of maturity which is where MOST came in for us as an option.  You'd have to get a consultant to explain it better.

Truth is they didn't use MOST for us in the end, as they managed to fertilize 17 of the 18 eggs with 2 sticks of SSR.

Anyway good luck, I cannot stress too strongly you really need to take your DH's mind off thinking and stressing about it.  Don't not have s*x as I found the less I had the worse the sample and it won't make a difference to SSR but the benefits are that mens body produce very good relaxing chemicals after we er... well you know, it's the reason why we want to sleep and not talk after s*x.
;)

Regards
Andy

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Hey Mae and Andy

Popped over to this board as nothing new to read on ICSI chat and here you are!  ;D

One of the docs I saw at Bourn Hall last week said that immature sperm can fertilise an egg - in fact he said that a sperm will not fertilise an egg unless they are ok, that a dodgy one just couldn't do the job, injected into the egg or not.  Apparently the stuff most like 'proper' sperm is found in the epidydimis (wrong spelling no doubt) so they look there first, and the immature guys are in the testes.  He described the epidydimis to be full of guys who had passed their driving test and the testes to contain ones who hadn't had any lessons yet!  He was full of such metaphors:  he described ICSI as 'introducing the boy into the girl's bedroom', and said that they had no control over what happens after that!

I hope my info isn't mixed up, this is what I remembered.
love Caroline xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts