Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we had our 9th DI yesterday (how romantic!) and for the first time we were told of the % of rapidly progressive sperm. The count was 10mil per ml, motility 52% but with only 7% with rapid progression - and it was graded P2 - which is basically poor sperm quality - sperm that wiggles it's tail but goes nowhere!

I did not realise how bad this was until I researched it on the internet - and now feel angry that we were not given the option to refuse it - and instead will be charged £200!

I know there is a shortage of sperm - but this is not the first time we have had poor qualility sperm from this clinic (NHS) and I am concerned about future treatments which we intend to do with inj which will cost us £560.

Should we just go somewhere else or is this a common probelm across the UK?

Can anyone share there donor sperm counts to compare?

Has anyone got any idea how this might affect our chances of success this month?

Cheers,

Jules

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Hi Jules

I am on 2ww of 3rd IUI (2 failed DI's as well!).  Anyway this cycle i asked my nurse what the count was and she got me to speak to the person that deal with the donor sperm.

Anyway my clinic private will not use any donor with less than 80% motility.  They say the normal range is about 40-60% but they are very strict with their policies as effectively they said that if you using a donor its hard enough decision to come to that they try and give you the highest poss chances.

I do think its quite bad as you are paying you should have a choice - even if they cant tell you what the count is they should let you know their criteria of the sperm they use - pester them.  How come you have to pay if its an NHS clinic as i did not think you could have DI on the NHS??  Where do you live out of interest?

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hey Jules,

You can't go anywhere without bumping into me!  ;D 
I hope you get some more replies to this - have you thought about ringing your clinic, and asking why you are getting poorer quality sperm, after all, you're paying good money for it!

Oh, and I told you to get off the PC!!  ^smash^

Loves ya,
Marie xx

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL  :eek: Marie! I am sooooooooo obsessing! It's driving me crazy - I will be glad when this cycle is over and I have two months off!

Good news: We have got our remortgage - which means I have some spare cash to put aside each month (as long as I stick to budget - but what better incentive  ::)) to save up for inj cycle. So next IUI planned for May! Whoo hooo!

LOve,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.