Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a friend who's partner has just had a sperm count thing done. Apparently the count was normal but the motility was 23% - she is really confused and does not know if this is normal??
Have tried searching on here quickly but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Dh has similar results and we've been put down as having male factor issues so I would say that's a low result. However, it only takes one sperm to fertilise an egg. Dh has worked really hard before our tx and gave up alcohol and hot baths for 3 months, as well as taking vits and wearing looser underwear, and it improved his results quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Jenny,

They say that normal motility needs to be at least 50% but results also need to be looked at with count and morphology.  My DH has c.20% motility (although he's had so many SAs now, this does change month-to-month)... this did improve, same as Cath's DH, by giving up alcohol, smoking, and taking mega high doses of vitamins C and E (the antioxidant vitamins).  And also changing to boxer shorts.  We still have to have ICSI though as his count's low and morphology high, so I've stopped being so militant on DH's regime (bless him).  On the basis that with ICSI they actually individually pick the sperm, so as long as he has more sperm than I have eggs (and a 9 eggs to 3m sperm ratio is OK in my eyes), I reckon the odd glass of wine etc. is fine :)

Jo
x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.