Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh has just had a swim up test 6 months after his ladt chemo (he had mild bep chemo) and his swimmers have not returned. yet ...
I just wanted to start a thread so that in future people could come here and see how long it took other for their swimmers to return and what they did that could have helped it along.
We have just started taking the Marilyn Glenvile Vits and will let you know how we get on.
Ju

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Sicknote

We got Jason's results back today from his sperm test, the sample 4 months after chemo had no swimmers and the sample 6 months after chemo had 4 motile(?) sperm in it, but the consultant said that his hormone test results show that the sperm has suffered damage.  We were shocked to say the least (we wern't wxpecting any!) as he had 6 lots of chemo that each took 30 hours to administer and was so powerful that 6 is the max he could have before it damaging his heart.

love
Koco
xxx

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news about the swimmers meanns that more will come back with time. Did he take any vitamins or do anything different.. It does sound like a strong dose..but maybe the more he has the more his body adapts to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
He didn't take any vitamins whatsoever, but he was on a lot of pain killers....

I've read that organic food is much better for your health generally so wherever possible we do tend to eat organic and we gave up eating already prepared frozen meals a while ago.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my acupuncturist told me about an article she saw saying that microwaving and having a laptop on your legs can also stop sperm production..so no more computering for steve!!! dont need to worry about the microwave he never goes in the kitchen anyway!!
Good news about your wimmers though..do they think more are on their way???
ju

·
Registered
22 Posts
they never mentioned whether his sperm would improve with time.  The consultant did say that he may have good days and bad days and that maybe when he gave the sample he had a good day....

Jason's always on his laptop too, hot baths are also supposed to prevent sperm production.

K
xx

·
Registered
15 Posts
:eek:

Hi

I am new on this site but am very grateful to have found it!

My DH had testicular cancer two years ago and completed his radiotherapy about 18 months ago.  We have been going through tests as my cycle is irregular and have found out that, despite the risk being very low, the cancer treatment has seriously affected his sperm count and we will need ICSI if we are to have a child of our own.

Is there anybody else out there who are experiencing a similar situation?  My husband is really upset that this has happened when they said the risk was very low and is not coping very well with it all.

Any words of advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Emma

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dear Emma,

I am so very sorry to hear that you are in this awful position. Don't blame your DH for being upset. We were very angry and upset when my DH was dscovered to be azoospermic (none at all in his ejaculate) after cancer treatment. He had one testicle removed with the tumour.

The hospital told us before his operation that it would not harm his fertility but they were wrong. They fobbed us off with wrong advice and did not take a sperm sample until after the operation. It was too late for us then.

Because my DH only has one small testicle remaininng (which had been undescended as a child) they did not follow the guidelines from the Royal College of Radiographers and this has been the subject of correspondence between myself and their CEO.  They appear finally to have stopped lying and avoiding questions but that is a fat lot of good to us now.  We are too exhausted from the IVF attempts to launch legal proceeding.

My DH had the cancer op in 1999 and there has been no return to sperm function.  I ony hope that your hospital banked some good samples before treatment.

After this terrible mistake occurred to us, the Hospital then tried to stop my DH having a testicular biopsy as they claimed the chance of having any sperm was nil and that it would remove what was left of my DH's hormone functioning. They "lost" his notes and he kept "mysteriously" disappearing from the waiting list. What a farce...

The "good news" is that my DH had 2 TESE's to remove sperm which worked OKish. The "bad news" is that we have had 2 ICSI's and one FET with a negative outcome each time. We are currently in our 4th 2ww.

My DH and I do think that the battle was worth fighting and if we had to go thru it again would still try the TESE's and the ICSI attempts. My DH get some small consolation that we could make good grade embies together - which for him was better than nothing.

It has been very hard though and we have both been patronised/ill-advised/lied to and generally treated with contempt by experts. Even after the TESE one IVF clinic tried to push us onto donor sperm without even trying!!!!

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. Their is no pussy-footing around how bad this can be. Please do not hesitate to contact me by IM or to post further if it would help.

Hope your path is smoother than ours!!

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

So sorry to hear about how you have been treated.  Its hard enough having to go through the illness without being failed by the experts you rely on.  We are still contemplating how we address this issue withour oncologist, radiotherapy was not meant to cause any long lasting damage yet it has.

How is the treament going?  Are you feeling ok?

Take care
Emsie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
I didn't realise there was a section for this until now.
My husband was treated for Hodgkin's Lymphoma last year with 12 sessions of chemo. Thankfully he's back at work now, has to go back for 3 monthly check-ups. Luckily, our hospital told him to bank sperm before the treatment. I didn't tell them we'd been trying for over 4 years.
He had a test 2 weeks ago and the embryologist said he had sperm there (treatment finished 4 months ago) but it wasn't as good as the original sperm before it was banked, so we are going to use that for treatment (hopefully it'll be okay after thawing etc.). We haven't been able to try naturally for over a year now & won't for another 7-8 months because of damage to DNA.

The embryologist said the quality should improve over time but it was good there was sperm there now. If it's any help, we do eat a mainly organic diet (have done for years) and he takes vitamins.

I hope this means the quality will improve and we can try naturally soon. There are a few herbal blends that should improve sperm quality as well as improving diet etc.

It seems so unfair to have to deal with all these problems and I did think I was alone in all this. I wish everyone here lots of luck with their treatment.

Love
Nicola
x

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have been told that dh's sperm could re appear from 6-24 months after the chemo and the drs seem certain that it will at some point, we are worried about damage to his stems because of the operation that he had. It had now been 8 months since his last dose of chemo and nearly 10 months since his last big shot and hospital stay. He's having his swim up test done next week, we've both had vitamins, organic food and we dont drink or smoke so we arew hoping that this swim test will bring good results i'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

I've looked into this loads - my partner had radiotherapy after a sarcoma in his upper thigh (which spread up into his pelvis) The consultants were excellent - basically after Chemo there is a strong likelyhood of some recovery as it doesn't damage the cells (vesicles) that make sperm, just stop the sperm.  Radio does destroy the vesicles so no more sperm can be produced (but it is only for radio around that general area) although someone told me they can extract some from within the testicle.... but none of them tend to be very mobile and need ICSI.

Luckily we had time to get some sperm frozen, and are making enquries as to funding for ICSI from the NHS - and are prepared to sit and wait for a while.  The clock ticks on tho.....

Keep your chin up ladies, we'll get there.....
Muppet x

·
Registered
413 Posts
How long is the wait for NHS treatment/funding?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Soulcyster,

NHS funding varies depending to your PCT. It is still a postcode lottery. My PCT make no special allowances for cancer survivors so it is still the same criteria as any other potential IVF person. They add you to the same queue and there is no special treatment at all.

In my area the waiting list can be 2 years or over. It has been cut from two cycles to one cycle. There is an age limit, weight limit and various other restrictions.

You will need to ring your PCT and ask about their criteria. To find your PCT you can use this webpage.

http://www.nhs.uk/

If you are in England, select your area from the the top right cornerish, then "authorities and trusts" from the left side column , then "PCT" from the middle, then "postcode" from the top right side. Phew....

All the other locations have different pages sadly so the search is not the same.

Hope that this helps. Good luck.

With warmest regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
For funding you need to get a referral via your GP (PCT will not accept 'personal' referrals)
They then (from what I've been told) send you to your local Obs. & Gynae clinic to confirm you are struggling to conceive (if you haven't already been down that route) and for us I am having an MOT of my bits to check they work.  Then they consider you for the list for 'help' with money - they don't promise to pay all ( apparently they do fund some full IVF but not many fund full ICSI but even paying for drugs will help us - our savings went on the mortgage when DP was off sick. 

I have been told it makes no difference having / not having cancer to your funding application (wether true or not - couldn't say!!)

Best of luck!
M x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts