Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

My DH has got to have sperm retrieval at The Lister along with ICSI treatment, he is very nervous, can any of you guys tell me if it is painful as he is not the bravest person in the world and I want to prepare him!! He has been given the option of a general or local which is best?

Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks

;D

Jo

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hi Jo,

I wish I could tell you and your DH what to expect for certain.  My DH had no problem, he had a general and was up and around no problem within a few hours.  I think the stitches pulled a bit but he was absolutely fine.  So that's the good news!

However, other DHs have not been so lucky and have had quite severe bruising.  We're all on the MF thread on the ICSI board if you want to find some others in the same position!

Is it a problem with sperm production or is sperm being produced but there's a blockage or CABVD?  Or is it a vasectomy?  So much depends on the technique being used and how difficult it is to find sperm.

If your DH is being offered a local it sounds like they're not expecting to have problems retrieving sperm...?

Wishing you lots of luck and lots of sperm!!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Jo,

The amount of pain and scarring will depend on which method of sperm retrieval they use. My DH had a TESE under a general anesthetic and was at home for 2 days afterwards. He was badly bruised and in pain as they had to make a number of incisions.  Also they checked him for cancer etc again.

If your DH is having a needle sperm retrieval the hospital said that minimal pain for that day was normal and then OK.

Good luck!

With warmest regards,

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
willow - Don't take this badly but I handle pain very well, however my DW said she nearly jumped when I yelped big time.  Addmittidly I was fighting the drugs all the way and was quite consious during the SSR.  However I don't remeber ANYTHING and DW said I made a total prat of myself during the procedure.  She was torn between my jokes and embarassing comments.

Basically he'll never know what went on and he'll feel a little discomfort afterwards. Whether you stay in or not is your own business.

At the moment I'd happily do an SSR again (for the right reasons).

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Jo,

My DH took about 3 days to recover from Tese but I think it all depends on the person and where you have it done.

Claudine - How come your DH had stitches, is this common?  My DH did not have any stitches just a little cut on each testicle where the needle went in.

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hey Fin,

Have realised that my post was not very informative.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't be posting if I'm scatty (which I am at the moment! seem to be having a relapse).

DH did have TESE, though the consultant seemed to be very reluctant to give a name to the procedure when we asked him about chances of success of a 2nd SSR.  However, now that I have a copy of our notes, it most definitely says TESE on left testicle.

I understood that TESE involved an incision and certainly that's what DH had, with 3 or so tiny little stitches.  You've said your DH had a little cut on each side?  Maybe their technology is more sophisticated and didn't need to open up so much?

Hope this clarifies for everyone...

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Fin - I also had just a little hole in the sack where the needle when in and was actually back to work the next day.  Be it that I was doing my John Wayne walk....or trying to hide it...  :eek:

When DW and I had EC JR has a section like a ward spilt only by curtains.  We were there for ages due to 18 eggs and I saw a guy wheeled out after his SSR and v. upset.  On the other hand after my SSR I just got up (nearly fell over) DW became human crutch while the drugs wore off.  It affects us all differently...

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had sperm retrieval by needle biopsy from the testicle and didn't feel much at all. I was given some meds to make me drowsy and cant remember much about it. Apparently I was very vocal about how great I was  ;D

I was in the clinic in the morning and out by lunchtime. I did feel a bit woozy and needed my partner with me to go home. I wasnt quite with it for hours. I had a little discomfort but was back at work the next day.

I wouldnt have any qualms about going through it again.
I hope this helps with any apprehension you may have. Incidentally I was very nervous, we all fear the unknown.

Phil

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Everyone

Thanks for all you advice and information, we don't quite know what procedure he has got to have yet, we see the consultant at The Lister on the 11th Jan so we will find out then.

I'm sure he will be fine.......................... well I hope he is!!

Thanks

Jo
;D

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi Everyone

Dh is booked in for a biopsy under general anaesthetic on 29th December.  Does anyone know if we will be told the results there and then, or will we have to wait?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Wolla,

On our first attempt we were not told until the next day as they had to incubate the sample overnight. On our second attempt things were much better and they gave us the good news after the op.

Hope all goes well!! Good luck.

With warmest regards,

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Wolla - There are 2 issue the getting and the thawing.

Getting any result is next day, thawing can be some time after depending on your clinic.

Phil - nice one mate the drugs are good stuff  ;D  ;D

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Flopsy/Andy
Thanks for the info - as long as we don't have to wait weeks/months like for everything else, I can cope.
Andy - when you say the thawing, do they freeze some and then test it to see if it thaws ok?

Cheers
Wolla

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Yes as JR where we were they always make sticks and then they break a bit off to see if survives the thawing process.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Thanks
ANd congratulations on your BFP.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Tell that to the DW she's going through all kinds of emotions and pains and worries...

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Andy

They haven't mentioned to us about testing abit to see if it thaws ok - I will speak to our clinic. Our there guarantee's that if one small bit thaws ok - to assume the rest will thaw in the same way?  We have 14 vials frozen - were told it gets mixed up with other liquid for freezing..

Was your sperm retrieved from a SSR? then frozen then thawed  - then used at time of ICSI ? Was that the same sperm that was tested on for thawing process. Hope you dont mind me asking...

My DH has very little sperm - we have some frozen but told not very good - as very few (and with thawing no guarantees) so maybe he will need last minute SSR on the day?

Im being anxious and neurotic about my DH's sperm as donor option not an avenue we wish to pursue.

Thanks - any info appreciated, Deborah

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Deb,

I'm glad you asked that question as I don't know either what will happen if they get some sperm from DH.

I guess with me, if we are lucky and get some, they will also have some donor ready for EC, just in case.

I have asked my clinic for an appt to talk about this option, in case we have to consider it.

Andy - I don't suppose you know anything about minimum numbers they will freeze and how much equates to one straw?

Thanks,

Nat x

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Let's just say the luck of our BFP is nothing compared to the luck of my SSR.

Basically I'd had some cr*p SA's my first one they had 1 stick which the bit they broke of for thawing had 2 happy sperm in it.  So it was assumed the rest of the stick would have 10-20...  they throw away the sperm they thawed a bit like normal food NEVER freeze it twice!!

My SSR produced 2 further sticks.  JR will not start treatment with out at least 3 sticks that have been tested for sucessful thawing.

On the day I was not offered any hot SSR or an SA.  Which I was confused at.  Worse was to come my SA stick had no sperm in it... I nearly wet myself!!  but they managed to fertilize 17 of the 18 eggs with 2 sticks of SSR.  JR offer a SSR coupled procedure called MOST basically they try and grow the strands from the SSR to get more mature spermies.

I think more my problem now it I may have to do multiple SSR next time and I'm not sure if this is even possible....  ???

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Andy

you seem to be well informed about SSR. Have you had a TESE? my dh has just had one and they have found nothing so do you think it is worth having another one? some people seem to have had more than one.

meljane

1 - 20 of 22 Posts