Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i thought this might be a good place to post my question - hopefully someone can advise me?

I am doing my first ICSI - our problem is that my DH has poor swimmers, mainly (we think) due to his Ulcerative Colitis (bowel condition) for which he is on strong medication.  I start stims tomorrow, so am hoping for EC etc to happen in a couple of weeks, and so far all going well.  BUT hubbie is getting really stressed, mainly about work and his UC is flaring up.  He has been hospitalised 3 times in the last and a half due to dehydration and loss of blood.  We're getting really worried that this might turn into another major episode (which in turn is making his Colitis worse, is a horrible negative cycle).  So of course now worried that if he gets worse he will not be able to give his sperm sample on the day of EC.

Of course we are hoping things don't get that bad - we have been doing our hypno CD together and I have been giving him reflexology, but I kind of want to prepare for the worst.  So my question is, what are our options?  Should I see if we can freeze some of his sperm asap, and would this be available on the NHS?  Would this affect the quality?  Or should we just hope for best and then if necessary freeze any embryos until he is well enough to give sample?

Any thoughts or advice would be really brilliant.
Jenbowxxxx

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Hi Jenbow and welcome to FF.

I can see why you want to be prepared for the worst and UC must be an awful thing to live with. If your clinic/NHS hospital has a sperm bank then I would have thought that your DH could go int a couple of times to give samples which could be frozen in advance of treatment.

If the worst did happen and he was unable to give a sample on the day of EC or that there were no suitable swimmers then there is a possibility that your eggs can be frozen for fertilisation at a later date BUT not all hospitals are able to freeze eggs as this is a fairly new practice. Eggs only become embryos after they have been fertilised, which can then be frozen.

I think you should call your clinic and put your concerns to your consultant or his secretary. They should be able to offer you some advice and tell you your options.

I wish you every success and hope that your fears come to nothing!

Lou xx

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lou, thanks so much for your reply - and yes I meant eggs, not embryos for freezing - dur!  ^idiot^

I have spoken to the embryologist who has reassured me that we can go in for DH to give a sample to freeze, so our minds are set at rest for the time being - until the next panic......oh the fun of the tx rollercoaster!!

Lots of luck to you for your future tx xxxx

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hiya and welcome

We just did our 1st freeze yesterday as previously been told not suitable for ICSI as DH  ^sperm^ just not alive and kicking however we get a few yesterday.  They will test on the day DH gives sample just to make sure they freeze and thaw - you will get answer same day - you do lose some when you thaw BUT REMEMBER frozen swimmers are just a backup !  Good luck x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.