Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

Can anyone tell me if they have done a sperm test at home and if they are easy to use.How much information do they give and also which is the best one?
Thanks for all replys

Bookworm

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Bookworn

my dH got one from the web but I don't know any more about where he got it or what it cost or anything.

If I remember correctly it is quite basic, and gives you a general result e.g. very good / good / okay / not so good / poor but doesn't go into details like a doctors test would which gives % results on different categories like morphology and volume.

my dh used it and got a 'poor' result and unfortunately for us, this was confirmed by the doctors tests.

good luck

Rosy

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Bookworm,

I have attached a link that we used for home fertility tests. This company were very good and the goods arrived pretty quick and in discreet packaging. The cost was about £30 for the tests, one for me and one for dh. It was fairly easy to use with good instructions. Unfortunately for us like Rosy it informed us to seek further advice from our doctor which resulted in us having to be at this stage.

However, I am so glad we did it, as we could have so easily waited another 6 months and this test gave us the info to move things forward with our doc after months of wondering whether we were going to conceive.

Best of luck,

Nat xxx

http://www.vianalyse.com/catalog/index.php

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi

We also used a home test - bought from a web-site (babycentre.com I think).  This also showed a poor result, which we told ourselves was because DH hadn't done the test properly.  It then took a few more months to persuade DH to seek medical advice (which then confirmed the worst - DH is aszoospermic), but I think the home test was a useful first step.  It at least means that the first 'sample' is produced in the comfort of your own home, and I think, for DH at least, this helped to prepare him for the next stage. 
Good luck with the test - hope the results are good.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Wolla,

Sorry to hear about your DH. 

Do you know the reasons for his absent sperm and if so what treatment is he having.

Has the Doc tested his FSH levels?

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Fin

We got the results of his test in June.  Our next appointment isn't until November. The doc said that DH's testicles were smaller than average - don't know if that means anything or not?  What are FSH levels?
We were given our options as being - DH having testicular biopsy to see if they can find any sperm which can be then used for ICSI, or using Donor sperm for DI.
We would obviously like to pull out all the stops to have a child that is genetically linked to both of us, and have therefore decided that DH will have the biopsy.
Has your DH had this?  Do they do any other tests first? We're a bit in the dark at the moment, and just waiting for out next appointment to see what's going to happen.
Thanks for your reply
Wolla

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Wolla,

FSH is when the brain tells the testicles to produce sperm hence the higher the level the harder the brain is telling the testicles to produce sperm.  MY DH results came back as 29 (under 12 is normal) which has indicated that the brain is telling his testicles to go in overdrive to produce sperm but they are just not listening (testicular failure).  Also doc said testicles are average size.

There are two types of azoospermia:

Obstructive is where the epididimus is blocked and sperm are within the testicle but just cannot get out.  And non obstructive is where there are no obstructions but still no sperm.

There are also issues with testosterone that can stop sperm production so your DH also needs to get his testosterone levels checked.

My DH is a strange case as we were pregnant in 97 (mc at 14wks) and so I cannotunderstand how there is no sperm (possibly due to hernia op also in 97).

The Urologist we saw said due to DH FSA levels and SA he thought it unlikely to retrieve sperm and did not seem very keen so we are going elsewhere for our sperm retrieval.

It seems strange but my DH has started acupuncture, Chinese herbal tea, multi vits, no alcohol and abstaining from ejaculation.

Only semen are stored in the testicles and the semenal fluid which comes out when a man ejaculates comes from elsewhere. Now considering they are adamant there is no sperm in my DH he did not ejaculate for 2 weeks and his testicles clearly increased in size and then after he ejaculated they shrunk again.  You could try this and see if you see a difference.

We are currently awaiting our appointment with an Andrologist in London to discuss sperm retrieval and I am just trying to keep positive that they will find something.

Anything else you need to know let me know (Sorry I went on a bit).

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Fin
Thanks for all the info - really useful.  Seems slightly weird to be discussing my DH's testicles with a complete stranger (and I'm sure he'd be delighted if he knew).
Sorry to ask so many questions, but did the doc at the fertility clinic arrange the FSH & testosterone tests automatically, or did you do that yourself?  I'm so sick of all the waiting - it seems like forever until November, it's so depressing to think that if we have to wait 6 months just between appointments, how long will we have to wait for treatment??????

You also say you've considered DI - can I ask your thoughts on whether or not you would then tell the child about their conception?  Tell me to mind my own business if you like!

·
Registered
440 Posts
No problem Wolla, any time.

Are you going private?

We went private and had an appointment with the IVF clinic the day after my DH had SA results.  The clinic arranged the SA and additional tests so that they had a clear picture on my DH to enable them to go ahead with the correct treatment.

Give the clinic a ring and ask them to keep you in mind if they have any cancellations.

My DH will not even speak about DI and I would not want to pressure him.  I hope we don't have to even consider it and they locate sperm from my DH but if we did then I would opt not to tell anyone not even the child as I think that it is better for all concerned so that we could have a normal as possible family life (but that is just my personal opinion).

Keep me informed how you get on as we are going through the same.

Good luck, lets hope we both have some light ahead of us on the horizon. 

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Fin,

You are sooooo knowledgable!!. I have learnt something new today. Didn't realise about the FSH thing. I knew about it but not in that level of detail. Very useful info indeed.......

Hope you are okay? Will post you a response on the other thread, that I've just read when I have thought of something worthwhile to cheer you up with.

Hang in there friend!

^Cuddle^

Nat xx

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Fin
Yes, it does sound like we're both in the same boat!!  We're not going private, unless we find out that the waiting lists for NHS are enormous then I think we'll reconsider.  I'm very impatient, and just want everything to happen straight away.   :mad:
How long is it since your DH was diagnosed?  I've found that my DH seems to cope with it a lot better as time goes by.  It was awful at first - we were both so angry, and seemed to take it out on each other, but now we can talk about it and I think our relationship is possibly stronger than before.
Thanks for your thoughts on DI - this is my opinion also, but was beginning to think I was the only person in the world with this view (apart from DH!!)
Take care

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi and thanks for all your replys
we had a sperm test done last Nov which showed he had borderline morophology.As we are lucky to already have a child the doctors arn't concerned there answer is it will happen but it will take time.2 1/2 years we have been trying and it is hard when my little one wants to none when can we have a baby when his friends are have brothers and sisters.I have put my DP on vitamins and extra vit c and i wanted to do my own test to see if there is any improvement.

Bookworm

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hi Bookworm,

I agree. Even though you have been successful in the past, things do change and its always good to be one step ahead.

Wishing you lots of luck,

Natalie xx

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Wolla - Any news on the appointment yet?  How are you doing?

Nat - How's things?

Lol

Fin

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hi Fin
Our next appt is 4th November with the consultant.  DH has to have another SA done before that, on 28th Sept (which he really isn't looking forward to). 
Had a bit of a crappy day yesterday, don't know why but I was feeling really down - had a good cry on my sister's shoulder though.
How's things with you?  Good luck with your appt in London in October.  We're flying off to Majorca for 2 weeks that weekend.
Take Care
x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts