Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Ive posted on this site once before and you were all very helpful and encouraging.

As I said before hubbie had a vasectomy 14 years ago.  We want to try for a baby and our best option is ICSI (this is what we have concluded as haven't been to GP yet).  I've done lots of research into vas reversals/IVF/ICSI and I wanted to know is there anyway that my hubbie could find out whether he is still producing sperm?  Obviously he isn't ejaculating it but we want to know if its still floating around down there.  Am looking at using the Essex Fertility Clinic at Holly House (ranked 4th in the country).  At least that way we could then start heading for ICSI early next year or we would know that all is lost and think about fostering/adoption as we don't want sperm donation.

Is it just a case of seeing our GP and for her to refer us to HH and go straight into ICSI or can she refer us for an indepedent sperm analysis which would save us a hell of a lot of money?

Confused  ^idiot^

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't know anything about sperm retrieval, there may be something on male factor thread to help you. 

It might be a good idea to see your GP who can send you for tests in the first instance.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - thanks - I'll have a look over there.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi everyone

Ive posted on this site once before and you were all very helpful and encouraging.

As I said before hubbie had a vasectomy 14 years ago after having two children with his ex-wife.  We want to try for a baby and our best option is ICSI/pesa/tesa (this is what we have concluded as haven't been to GP yet).  I've done lots of research into vas reversals/IVF/ICSI and I wanted to know is there anyway that my hubbie could find out whether he is still producing sperm?  Obviously he isn't ejaculating it but we want to know if its still floating around down there.  Am looking at using the Essex Fertility Clinic at Holly House (ranked 4th in the country).  At least that way we could then start heading for ICSI early next year or we would know that all is lost and think about fostering/adoption as we don't want sperm donation. 

Is it just a case of seeing our GP and for her to refer us to HH and go straight into ICSI or can she refer us for an independant sperm analysis which would save us a hell of a lot of money?

Confused 

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Hi Panda!
I think that there probably wont be enough in your husbands 'sample', you may have to go for surgical sperm extraction (probably best not to tell DH that until he's sitting down). I would go and talk to your GP and get them to refer you to a clinic.
If you  introduce yourself on the MF thread you will find a couple of people in the same situation as you.
Lizi

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Panda

My partner had a vasectomy 15 years ago an we were told that our best option would be to have icsi.my partner had his sperm retrieval done 3weeks ago and we were told that his sperm was really good.

all the best kechloe

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Panda

My husband had a vasectomy reversal nearly 11 years ago, and over the past 2 years he has had 2 reversals done, but only on one side. Both attempts failed. therefore we are just starting out on the ICSI route and are at the ARGC in London.

Although we do not start my treatment until late September DH had what they call a PESA which is a surgical sperm extraction. My understanding is that there are in fact 2 ways of doing this, the easiest is where they pass a needle into the scrotum area where apparently there is like a sac where the sperm sit, but can't of course go anywhere. This is what my DH had done he had about 2 stitches felt absolutely fine, and just took it easy for 36 hours. however, I know that if they had not found any in this sac, that they could have been invasive and extracted sperm from the sort of inner channels where the sperm grow and mature before arriving in the sac. So, hope that this makes sense, but you are definitely doing the right thing by checking to see if his sperm is there. You too will then need to get checked out too.

good luck and hope all goes well...janna x

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Panda

We are in the same boat Dh had vasectomy reversal.  All you need to do is go to the GP and ask to be referred to IVF clinic,  The first test the IVF Clinic does is a PESA which is a sperm retrieval, My Dh is having his on Tuesday the cost we are paying is £150 for initially consultation, then £390 for PESA we will then get the results and then fingers crossed full steam ahead for IVF £1975 and ICSI £595 the Drugs are about £500 The consultant said that as Dh had his vasectomy within the last ten years he didnt think there would be a problem with Dh Sperm, we know they are a little lazy as the reversal did work for a short time but like a large majority of reversal's it reverted back to a vasectomy before we could conceive. 

Wishing you both lots of luck,  keep in touch

Emma xxx :-* :-* :-*

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello Panda

My DH has 2 kids with previos wife.  He stupidly had a vasectomy but luckily had it reversed all was ok.  I think if they don't cut the tubes too short you can be ok.  Anyway he is producing sperm ok but quality not quite as good. 

We are to have ICSI I guess you may be in a similar position.

Hope all works out for you

Take Care and Good Luck
Yoda ^daisy^

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sorry I forgot to say.  Yes they can go straight in to retrieve it as far as i'm led to believe.

^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

Good Luck X

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Panda,

Sounds as if you have it all clear in your heads - which helps a great deal when tackling these problems.

I don't know if your GP will be able to refer you to have a specific sperm test (presumably you mean to a specific lab that does this work).   Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will be able to advise you.

What she could do however is to refer you to a private Urologist (NHS waiting list will be bad I imagine) who could do some testing and advise on vasectomy reversal or Surgical sperm retrieval.

I don't know if there is a test which will show if there is some sperm "floating around". I imagine that only a surgery will show that (even a test with a needle rather than a biopsy?). The urologist can do blood tests for his hormone levels which should be an indication maybe?

If you do decide to see a Urologist for a vasectomy reversal or surgery my advice would be to ask around and find the best one possible. Don't judge it on the IVF/ICSI rates of that hospital. Quality does vary and in our case we got much more sperm from our second operation from a more experienced Urologist.

Good luck!

With warmest regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.