Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

DP had his TESA & PESA today but it was not very good. Hi Ladies,

1st procedure only managed to find 1 sperm so they moved on to the next they found 'a few' but they are immature so they are going to see if they develop overnight. Is this even remotely possible?

I am not sure i am happy with the procedure to be honest and i wish i wasn't in there.. They tried the 1st procedure (PESA/TESA can't remember what comes first) in 4 places the 4th place is where they found the 1 sperm but didn't even bother to see if they could find more there, They just moved onto the next one... Then they tried on the left where they found the immature sperm then put anaesthetic in the right hand side (didn't even give it time to work) I'm talking like 1 minute and tried again, DP screeched in pain and he just said ok we'll stop. The left side they left for 5 minutes (and timed it!) I suppose they know best but it's still a big dissapointment.

Has anyone had more then 1 PESA/TESA or something else that can maybe be tried. We are already coming to terms with the fact that is seems over for us but i have told him i will check first.

Thanks All. x

·
Registered
417 Posts
sorry to read your news - don't know what to say but didn't want to "read and run"

I'm surprised that you were there - and it sounds like your DH wasn't fully sedated?  My DH had both those procedures done last month - I don't know which is which either, just that they did one, didn't find any so did the most other, and still didn't get any - but DH was fully sedated and didn't come around again until about an hour after the surgery when a nurse woke him.

I don't know the answer to your question about the sperm maturing over night, but we had our follow-up appointment last week and we were told that the SSR is a bit random.  DH had enough sperm for ICSI back in October and so was producing sperm then, so we were told that we may just have been unlucky that there weren't any present in the area that they made the incision.  We've been told to give him 3 months to recover from the surgery, and they maybe have another SA done.  We were told that they wouldn't recommend the SSR again, but maybe DH could produce several samples on the same day and they could spin them together to see if they could extract sperm.

My heart really does go out to you at the moment as I do know what you're going through - it's really heartbreaking to be told that it could be over.  I do hope that you may have some positive news tomorrow.
^hugme^ ^hugme^

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hi Watn,

We my DH had his TESE they took out samples and left the sperm to mature overnight. It was done under a general anesthetic. The second tese had better results than the first

We had great success with this method. That is until we had repeated IVF failures...

Before giving up you could consider a second opinion.

I'm so sorry to hear about the awful ordeal your poor DH went through. You must both be feeling very fragile right now.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ladies Thanks for the replies.

Yes i was there with him talking to him the whole way through he was given sedation to make him feel 'floaty' and then the anesthetic to numb the area (well to a fashion) The first side he didn't feel a thing but the other he did. He nearly went through the roof.

I know that there is a MESA we can try mabe going abroad for as it seems very exspensive here and also the TESE? I don't think we will be going back there for it and its such a waste of bloody money! We had to pay for all our tests & scans upfron and it was a set price (even though i'd had mine at the doctors beforehand) They give is £390 back if they cannot freeze any tomorrow but i guarantee they will find 1 or 2 to freeze so we have no refund.

We were so gutted earlier as we really dud not see this coming, We had talked about the actual treatment not working but were very stupid to think this was the 'easy' bit  ::)

Flopsy - Did your HD's sperm mature over night? I can see a really sleepness night again tonight  :(

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Ladies i have answered my own question!
They cultured the sperm over night and have frozen enough motile sperm for 2-3 rounds of treatment.
I honestly cannot believe it! they have 3 straws of which i am told will hopefully fertilise 8-12 eggs  :) 

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Hi Watn1!

Great that they've managed to freeze some!

I thought I'd chip in, as my DH had PESA (£3,000 four years ago) at our local clinic, and we were told straight off there was NO sperm there. A week later we got a letter from the senior embryologist to say he'd frozen two straws. What a week that was...
In addition to that, the urologist butchered him - went in 20 times each side and left him in agony.
We had one round of ICSI at the Lister (we weren't going back to the local place after that!) after finding out I was perimenopausal, and ended up with one embryo which didn't take. The clinic was very good, but there was too much against us really.

We had fresh PESA in Turkey last year, and it cost £500. They found sperm straight away, and you can se the result by my signature! My DH couldn't believe they'd been in there, as he had no pain, but realised they must have done as the bruising came out - there was just one tiny incision left behind.

So if you are carrying on with this process, that's worth a shot I think. We were both so impressed.

xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Yahoo Watn!!!

What a wonderful result. They should be able to give you an analysis of the sperm quality as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hello everyone

I have to say this thread has really opened my eyes and given me wonderful hope!! I did not even know this was possible! wow! Congrats on the wonderful news!

We are getting our results on whether Tamoxifen has done anything to help DH's sperm - he has arrested sperm maturation. If results are negative I will certainly ask about this! No-one has mentioned it to us yet as a possibility but if you don't ask you don't get.....

xx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miranda,
  We are doing 1 round of treatment at the clinic using the sperm they have found they are bound to find some goodies from all they have frozen then we are going to go abroad for a MESA possibily.

Thanks all for your replies.

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
Great stuff!

Aspirated sperm really can do the business - the best of luck to you.

xx

·
Registered
417 Posts
Fantastic news watn!  hope that the next stages go well too

1 - 11 of 11 Posts