Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH's sperm has always been approx 17 million/ml (consistent over a few tests over last 2 years). Last week it was done again and came back as 2 million/ml, 2 mls. Won't give rest of results, but can this just happen and then return to his more usual level? Seems ironic considering he's taking 8 vit/minerals per day, no hot baths, limited alcohol, and doesn't smoke. Nothing has been any different in last 10 weeks either.

I'm currently on 150mg clomid - is there any point with 2 million/ml? Would appreciate advice as clinic want me to continue with clomid. Any enlightenment as to why this is happening too?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any advice please Ruth? I know funding is for fertility issues is not good in my area and need to know whether to get on with going private?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I'm not a nurse but I would say two things.  First, I think I've read that it takes 12 weeks for sperm to form so perhaps something like a cold , viral infection or some other factor has caused an unusual result which may be back up to usual levels by the next test.  Secondly, however, regardless of the SA test results perhaps you should be saying that now that you've tried Clomid unsuccessfully for 8 months it's perhaps time to be starting to look at other options (IUI or IVF/ICSI?).  Not sure where you live but it could be worth finding out what your local PCT's policy on treatment is, so that you can discuss that with your GP or consultant. If the consultant has medical reasons for his view, that's one thing, but if it's down to finances, I would want to find out exactly what I was entitled to. and you should be able to find that out from your PCT.  (In my case, I had to be self-funded due to my age, but at least finding that out helped us decide what to do next).  Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Ellie,
Thanks for that. We can't think of anything that has happened, not even a cold in the last 12 weeks. I feel like I'm having to wade myself through this treatment process and appreciate all advice. My clinic doesn't offer IUI and curently aren't offering IVF either: the PCT haven't made up their minds what their protocol is going to be. After my referral in March 2004 to my new clinic, I haven't met the consultant yet. All dialogue has been done through the clinic nurse, who's a lovely person but I don't feel like we're getting anywhere now and in fact my DH's sperm has now plummeted! Can it so easily go from 6 tests showing 17 million/ml to 2 and then back up again? I'm so scared and worried.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rowena hi ! :)

Please don't worry about DH's sperm results they can vary and in fact they usually ask you to repeat again in a few weeks because of thevariability (also might be worth considering if this is a clinic error ... it does happen !!). Statistically you should rely more on the previous 6 tests than this one ... best of luck and think positive :) ^police^ :)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sara. The most recent test is the only one done at a private London hospital - so thought it was fairly trustworthy, as in the previous first 3 tests they didn't even have the testing abilities to measure motility or agglutination.

I listened to what you've said but I'm still petrified and feel like I'm going crazy with confusion!  :'(

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hiya

DOn't know if this may help by my DH always provides great samples but the last time he provided an "incomplete" sample which was not as good quality as the others!!!!!  Don't ask me how "not getting it all in the tub" affects quality but would seem that it does!
I am  ;D as I write this - where on earth else could we possibly be happily writing about our hubbys and partners sperm and getting away with it!

Take care girlies

Love

Karen xxx

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Karen,
Glad it made you laugh! I've already asked him this and yes he did do a complete sample. He only said he felt more stressed than normal - travelling 200 miles to London and all that - but didn't think stress on the day would affect result. Feel like we have a lot of decisions to make, although it looks like 150mg clomid isn't going to result in ov this month so I'm hoping for a 'next step', just hoping it's more fruitful than the clomid. Love Rowena.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Rowena,
My DH's results went down and more down. The first one was okayish (cant remember figures right now - sorry) but as we started to eat organic, he cut drink down completely, changed our lifestyles, ate vitamins etc - all these pushed his sperm count even further!!
It was horrible as we couldnt make sense of this all. Also he had no colds/flu's either so it couldnt have been that!!

I pushed for DH to be seen by a urolgist who said hubby had varicules and he was operated on them last year. We never had the sperm tested after that as we moved straight to ICSI - so dont even know if that helped!

Sorry if this post doesnt help.xxxx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.